Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquaclear AC70 Magnetic Surface Skimmer V1 - V2 Coming Soon...

Oceanbox Designs

Oceanbox Designs

My first try at making a magnetic mount overflow box was a success. This one is a surface skimmer for the Aquaclear AC70 HOB filter. It's shorter than it's suppose to be because it's custom made to fit a 7" shallow tank and no intake extensions will be used.

It can hold up to 6mm thick glass. The magnets are fully embedded and sealed within the acrylic so it will never be rusty. The outside magnets are also plastic sealed so they're also rust-proof.

22551878476_e97de19ec2_z.jpg

22577858455_2ef6ec41a0_z.jpg

22564310622_57ace996e2_z.jpg

22589082201_daaa140ffd_z.jpg

21956671043_a13bfbe121_z.jpg

22391039159_a8581898ba_z.jpg

I really like this. I have never used hob filters on any of my reefs but this seems like it would be great. Not only does it hide the intake of a filter but the surface skimming will add a nice touch for keeping our reefs clean. I would consider this if I had a AC70

I really like this. I have never used hob filters on any of my reefs but this seems like it would be great. Not only does it hide the intake of a filter but the surface skimming will add a nice touch for keeping our reefs clean. I would consider this if I had a AC70

Thank you, I believe that's what the customer was after, clean look and have surface skimming.

Looks a amazing man

Thanks :) thinking about doing magnetic mount for drop-in AIO insert kits but fabrication cost will be much higher vs silicone version.

Do you plan to do one for drilled tanks?

If you're drilling the tank why not just use the bulkhead to hold it in place instead? The back of the overflow box could be drilled to the bulkhead size, once the bulkhead is installed through the glass and overflow box, it's fixed.

Sweet! But isn't this taking time away from my project? Lolr

Not really, im multitasking...lol

If you're drilling the tank why not just use the bulkhead to hold it in place instead? The back of the overflow box could be drilled to the bulkhead size, once the bulkhead is installed through the glass and overflow box, it's fixed.

Well but magnets would make cleaning very easy.

Please see this video:

https://youtu.be/DYzWwz8ZTCU

Well but magnets would make cleaning very easy.

Please see this video:

https://youtu.be/DYzWwz8ZTCU

It makes sense for that purpose, same concept by drilling a hole larger than the bulkhead's flange so it fits over it instead of feed through. It's always a good idea to have the overflow box secured though, at least for larger system with more than one bulkhead.

What u charging for one that's 7 or 8 inches total height?

Or what size would u make a standard one? And how much

Will Pm you.

This is sweet! Will it be on your website soon? I'm interested in pricing on this.

I was thinking of keeping it in the line of custom work, would anyone else be interested?

Just posted this on the planted tank Facebook

Awesome. Is there a link?

• 2 weeks later...

Can i use in AC 30?

No, this is designed for the AC70 only, the teeth are spaced specifically so that it could be slide under and up the lip of the hang-on part. The distance of the hang-on lip from the tank glass is different for AC20/30/50, unfortunately I don't have AC30 on hand to work a design.

Interested price please! !

Pm sent

• 2 weeks later...
Oceanbox Designs

Please let me know if you come out with a skimmer for the AC110.

This one was a custom project, not a standard item so most likely not but you could always go with a custom overflow box that you can just silicone to the tank.

• 1 month later...

Due to popular requests, the AC70 surface skimmer overflow is now available to order on my website: http://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/aquaclear-ac70-magnetic-overflow-surface-skimmer/

My design used the same Embedded Magnetic System as our successor mini frag racks: http://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/magnetic-mini-frag-racks/

The production version will include 4 outside sealed magnets, making sure it won't move and 100% rust proof both inside and out. Also my design can be fit all the way pass the plastic lip (not below) so you can adjust the amount of water entering.

I do need to mention that this will work well only on tanks with <= 6mm thick glass for this particular version that I have tested it on.

Last but not least, craftsmanship quality is not something I take lightly, in fact quite the opposite, the fact that you get what you pay for still stands in my book. You can be sure to expect professional production quality from all of my products regardless of custom or production.

Oceanbox Designs

Custom corner surface skimmer (silicone mount version) for AC70. Just finished and shipped for a NR customer :)

It's important to point out that this overflow box have the bottom panel inside, this increased fabrication time but make it seamless all around the bottom. If you're after premium overflow boxes, this is how I will make them. A more economy version will have bottom piece on the outside as usual.

24333624006_9f7a086573_c.jpg

24359939075_3e62474ba8_c.jpg

wow.such.chris

Custom corner surface skimmer (silicone mount version) for AC70. Just finished and shipped for a NR customer :)

It's important to point out that this overflow box have the bottom panel inside, this increased fabrication time but make it seamless all around the bottom. If you're after premium overflow boxes, this is how I will make them. A more economy version will have bottom piece on the outside as usual.

24333624006_9f7a086573_c.jpg

24359939075_3e62474ba8_c.jpg

That's for me! Beautiful work, that's exactly what I wanted and you even took the extra effort to make it perfect. Thanks a ton!

Archived