ReefWeeds

Stella's Sixty-Six

metrokat

That plumbing looks pretty straightforward to me. The holes in your overflow are 2 diff sizes, match those to the bulk heads and then match the bulk heads to the white durso and the gray return. Durso is the larger one.

The green tubing is one from the return pump to the bulkhead. The other is for the drain from the durso to the sump. They should be different sizes, if they are not, they likely included an adapter with a barb to make it fit.

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

The green tubing is one from the return pump to the bulkhead. The other is for the drain from the durso to the sump. They should be different sizes, if they are not, they likely included an adapter with a barb to make it fit.

They are different sizes. Ok, this is helping. Jack is also going to take a photo of his setup later for me too.

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff :blush:

metrokat

They are different sizes. Ok, this is helping. Jack is also going to take a photo of his setup later for me too.

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff :blush:

Girl, I've been there, I leant a LOT when I had to plumb my tank, and I had to do it all myself, CAD did not send parts.

JBB, Benny, AlexB and a couple others helped me tremendously. Could not have done it without help.

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

Blue piece with tubing attaches to skimmer pump intake, and then to air silencer like so

SCA-302-2.jpg

Step 2:

Larger bulkhead into larger hole in tank (obviously) - be careful not to overtighten , this can crack the tank. it needs to be just tight enough to where it doesn't leak or easily move around. Gasket for bulkhead will go on the inside of the tank. Durso pipe will then be placed into larger bulkhead like so : (no glue needed)

durso1.jpg

This helps! my next question was going to be do I need pipe threader or glue or whatever it is called.

Dan R

New page

• Like 3

ReefWeeds

Girl, I've been there, I leant a LOT when I had to plumb my tank, and I had to do it all myself, CAD did not send parts.

JBB, Benny, AlexB and a couple others helped me tremendously. Could not have done it without help.

That's what is GREAT about this forum, honestly.

New page

:lol:

I'll take a picture ;)

• Like 2

jack1978

This helps! my next question was going to be do I need pipe threader or glue or whatever it is called.

I run Teflon tape on the threads......not to seal it, but to make it easier to remove.

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

I run Teflon tape on the threads......not to seal it, but to make it easier to remove.

Ok, I'm going to get some. Need to run to Home Depot anyway to get some more water containers. And some other shit.

jbb_00

New page so I'll drop this here too

Starfire-Setup-Instructions-300x277.jpg

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

New page so I'll drop this here too

Starfire-Setup-Instructions-300x277.jpg

Nice! This helps!

And where do I put the metal clamps :blush:

metrokat

I had to silicone the holes in my overflow. I had a slow leak that would not go away and I wasn't going to over-tighten the bulkheads like Lawn did and have the tank crack on me. The silicone was applied on the inside rim of the drilled holes, allowed to dry and cure 24 hours before I threaded the bulkheads through. So the bulkheads themselves are not siliconed in place, just the drilled holes have a bead of silicone to make it tighter. And because silicone flexes, it is holding the bulkheads in place snugly.

And where do I put the metal clamps :blush:

on the sump side, on the green tubing.

The metal clamps hold the tubing in place against water pressure

ReefWeeds

I had to silicone the holes in my overflow. I had a slow leak that would not go away and I wasn't going to over-tighten the bulkheads like Lawn did and have the tank crack on me. The silicone was applied on the inside rim of the drilled holes, allowed to dry and cure 24 hours before I threaded the bulkheads through. So the bulkheads themselves are not siliconed in place, just the drilled holes have a bead of silicone to make it tighter. And because silicone flexes, it is holding the bulkheads in place snugly.

Hmm. Maybe I should do that. I have some silicone.

Ok, so pretend I'm a dummy (not hard). So, the clamps go on the green tubing and then connect to what - the drains? Seriously, I know I should know this shit. I'm out looking at other sites too but there isn't really any good step by step instructions so I figured I'd make my own.

_R_

Stand is assembled! Now on to the plumbing :) It's 5:00 somewhere, right? :lol:

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

It's always 5:00 clock somewhere.

• Like 2

metrokat

Hmm. Maybe I should do that. I have some silicone.

Ok, so pretend I'm a dummy (not hard). So, the clamps go on the green tubing and then connect to what - the drains? Seriously, I know I should know this shit. I'm out looking at other sites too but there isn't really any good step by step instructions so I figured I'd make my own.

I would leak test before you use silicone.

the smaller green tubing goes from the return pump to the return bulkhead which is attached to the gray piping. The smaller metal clamps (you have 2) go on either end of this tubing, meaning one to tighten it to the pump, the other to tighten it to the bulkhead.

The larger clamp goes on the larger green tubing which is your drain. The clamp attaches to the connecting point between the bulkhead and the green tubing.

Top down view of large and small bulkhead inside the overflow box

20141115_000044.jpg

• Like 1

patback

Me?? Laugh??? :lol: Nope. Because when you see mine, you'll laugh :)

i didn't check who posted those pictures and I thought "no Stella, no. I thought you would be better than this" then I noticed the stand wasn't white on the inside and felt better. :)
  • Like 3

HarryPotter

How's it going? I picture you just staring at those parts :lol:

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

How's it going? I picture you just staring at those parts :lol:

I am past the point of the staring in freak out mode :) at Home Depot buying some stuff :) resized I need to hang the light before I get the tank in place!

• Like 1

jack1978

I am past the point of the staring in freak out mode :) at Home Depot buying some stuff :) resized I need to hang the light before I get the tank in place!

Sooooo, wtf? Water?

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

Sooooo, wtf? Water?

LOL no, but I pulled a Jack the other day. I was filling up a 5 gallon container with RODI, fell asleep on the couch and came back to a partially flooded laundry room :wacko:

• Like 2

spectra

Don't you laugh at me. :blush:

11%252520-%2525201.jpg

11%252520-%2525201.jpg

Kats plumbing was epic and you learnt a thing or two, and it inspired many builds. :slap:

WOW..........did not know it could run like that.....

One thing to remember when caulking cut a small opening and always lick your finger and smooth it out.......real easy to do.

• Like 2

metrokat

WOW..........did not know it could run like that.....

One thing to remember when caulking cut a small opening and always lick your finger and smooth it out.......real easy to do.

That was gorilla glue and I did not know the runs would dry white like that. On the other hand, the stand was indestructible :)

• Like 1

HarryPotter

That was gorilla glue and I did not know the runs would dry white like that. On the other hand, the stand was indestructible :)

Yeah I understand how that happened. Gorilla glue expands a LOT when it's drying.

• Like 1

metrokat

Yeah I understand how that happened. Gorilla glue expands a LOT when it's drying.

You should look for my Ghetto fabulous thread of all my DIY bloopers.

• Like 1

HarryPotter

You should look for my Ghetto fabulous thread of all my DIY bloopers.

Link? :lol:

• Like 1

ReefWeeds

Happy halloween everyone! A few photos of the pumpkins :) We had I believe close to 200 trick or treaters. I'm freaking TIRED.

yYNi4dl.jpg

K7ddbpC.jpg

RUHCpmw.jpg

• Like 4