inTank Media Baskets

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

I have mine in an 8" cube that I filled with mud (from ebay), then a top layer of sand. Mangroves can really survive in anything, I've seen people just throw some in a glass vase and put them next to a window and they survived and grew, but didn't thrive.

I know some people put the roots in their sand and put freshwater fertilizer tabs in the sand (I think Giga might do this), which helps encourage growth.

You can't really go wrong with mangroves, its just whether you want them to really thrive or just survive.

Hmmm. Good info and interesting about the cube!!! My tank is pretty deep so I'd need to figure that out. Good info, Brad :)

If you haven't considered it already, you may want to look into something like a CPR Sock-It 4 Inch Adjustable Filter Sock Holder

My friend had a smaller tank from SCA and there was a fair amount of splashing and noise without a filter sock holder. The CPR one is nice since you can extend the pipe below the waterline which makes it really quiet.

Good info!!! Lawnman is making me a Crapper Trapper :) I think it should also keep the noise down. I'm going to see if I can find a picture!

If you haven't considered it already, you may want to look into something like a CPR Sock-It 4 Inch Adjustable Filter Sock Holder

My friend had a smaller tank from SCA and there was a fair amount of splashing and noise without a filter sock holder. The CPR one is nice since you can extend the pipe below the waterline which makes it really quiet.

Here's the info on the Crapper Trapper :lol:

Post link with photos

And a photo of the Crapper Trapper in use! Back left (Snagged the photo off of Lawn's thread):

kRjkRa7.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. Good info and interesting about the cube!!! My tank is pretty deep so I'd need to figure that out. Good info, Brad :)

Good info!!! Lawnman is making me a Crapper Trapper :) I think it should also keep the noise down. I'm going to see if I can find a picture!

Here's the info on the Crapper Trapper :lol:

Post link with photos

And a photo of the Crapper Trapper in use! Back left (Snagged the photo off of Lawn's thread):

kRjkRa7.jpg

I couldn't get to the details from the link you provided (work blocks a lot of pics and videos) but that looks like a PITA to clean

I couldn't get to the details from the link you provided (work blocks a lot of pics and videos) but that looks like a PITA to clean

You just take the top off and then ditch the floss and put new floss in! It looks more difficult than it actually is :)

that's weird about the link. I may have done it wrong. It goes to another thread on NR.

You just take the top off and then ditch the floss and put new floss in! It looks more difficult than it actually is :)

that's weird about the link. I may have done it wrong. It goes to another thread on NR.

Ok, then I'm gonna want one when I upgrade, LOL. You probably liked it correctly...I'm sure it's just because the pics and videos are being blocked.

I'm currently using the new Eshopps fuge sump so I don't need the sock holder but if I go much bigger than what I have now I'm going to need a new sump :(

Ok, then I'm gonna want one when I upgrade, LOL. You probably liked it correctly...I'm sure it's just because the pics and videos are being blocked.

I'm currently using the new Eshopps fuge sump so I don't need the sock holder but if I go much bigger than what I have now I'm going to need a new sump :(

Everyone needs a crapper trapper! Who wants to constantly buy socks? :)

Gotta love that "new tank" smell. :)

I also like the LPS simplicity idea. Chasing params can be a PITA long term.

Agree! AND I really love the brilliance and movement of LPS and softies. BUT I am going to have some different montis and my poci from my cube :) That thing seems to grow no matter what (and of course I just jinxed it I'm sure). A few SPS, but mostly just what I currently have.

Monis, Pocis, and birdsnests are LPS so far as I'm concerned... also Cysphastrea. They're just easy enough to get you thinking SPS is a cakewalk.

That said, my new tank will have a spot reserved for some Katapora. :rolleyes:

Monis, Pocis, and birdsnests are LPS so far as I'm concerned... also Cysphastrea. They're just easy enough to get you thinking SPS is a cakewalk.

That said, my new tank will have a spot reserved for some Katapora. :rolleyes:

Well, I do have my Katapora - and I still want a green slimer :lol: And I do love Cyphastrea - so SOME SPS lol

Are you going to put anything under the stand since you have hardwood floors?

This tank is actually going in the kitchen which is tile. So no. But I've got a rug under the biocube which is on hardwood. At least if this tank leaks, it will leak on tile and then straight into the basement :) (but hoping for no leaks - or blond moments like I had with the cube where I back siphoned RODI all over the floor and emptied the whole container before I realized - oops)

This tank is actually going in the kitchen which is tile. So no. But I've got a rug under the biocube which is on hardwood. At least if this tank leaks, it will leak on tile and then straight into the basement :) (but hoping for no leaks - or blond moments like I had with the cube where I back siphoned RODI all over the floor and emptied the whole container before I realized - oops)

LOL, I have one of these under my current tank but just found a smokin' deal on a Cad Lights 70 Artisan II. I'm having a hard time finding something to put under the tank that's 36x24 ish...I have laminate but really don't want anything getting through to it either.

I have blonde moments as well :)

LOL, I have one of these under my current tank but just found a smokin' deal on a Cad Lights 70 Artisan II. I'm having a hard time finding something to put under the tank that's 36x24 ish...I have laminate but really don't want anything getting through to it either.

I have blonde moments as well :)

That's similar to what I have under the cube actually!!! LL Bean has these water hog mats. We use them under the dog dishes both in the kitchen and our bedroom which has hardwood. This is the one we have, although it is 23"x35". I can attest that they do NOT let any water through. They work great!

That's similar to what I have under the cube actually!!! LL Bean has these water hog mats. We use them under the dog dishes both in the kitchen and our bedroom which has hardwood. This is the one we have, although it is 23"x35". I can attest that they do NOT let any water through. They work great!

Ok, I saw something like that as well...looks like the sizing might be a little bit closer to what I need...glad to hear they work :D

I'll follow this build very close! You were my inspiration for my BC 29 and now you have a grown up tank!, I might follow your steps in one year from now!

Cheers

Oh yeah, I forgot about the trapper crapper! Now that I have a sump, must make one. Thanks for the reminder.

Nice looking setup--following!

Gotta love that "new tank" smell. :)

I also like the LPS simplicity idea. Chasing params can be a PITA long term.

Amen, preach it brother!

I'll follow this build very close! You were my inspiration for my BC 29 and now you have a grown up tank!, I might follow your steps in one year from now!

Cheers

:wub: This just made my day! What a nice thing to say, Difrano. Thank you.

thecoralbeauty

ahhhh that little crapper trapper thing is the best! ah im so excited now- it's like we'll be new-tank twins when mine arrives on Sunday.

Got the inside of the stand painted white and it is now in place! Now I just need to figure out the plumbing and then fill this with sand, rock and water :) Hopefully today, but MAYBE tomorrow depending on how long crap takes me to figure out!

Archived