Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Good luck with the reef welder!  I hope you like it. It frustrates the hell outta me, but that’s just me. 

Same here. I quickly got tired of repeated trips to the microwave to warm up the next batch or to reward the current batch. But it holds well and is easier than superglue or mortar in medium-sized cases. 

• Like 2

Yep, that works fine. The main problem I had with it is that it's only workable and sticky for a minute or two after you take it out of the water. So I was constantly heating up new little batches.

I think if you can keep the water hot and just take out little bits of it as you work, it would be easier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just refreshed the hot water and used a hot dental tool to shape it around the rock i needed to stick to. I would not use it to attach frags to plugs, but likely larger structures. larger the wad, the longer the working time.

Oh and this, my clown hosts the trumpet coral.  she wiggled herself a cave.

20180415_212051.jpg?width=351&height=468

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I really think I need to do a prune back. Problem is, the trumpet,  (which needs the pruning) is favoured by the clowns - it really is getting TOO large for my tank so, what do you suggest?

• 2 weeks later...

Knockout is pissed at me because I took her trumpet out and fragged it. of course its not in exactly the same location as before. I needed to take bits off because it was just getting too large. Piece of that trumpet was added to the MDP, the other bits I will likely see if I can trade in for something soft and squishy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

Knockout is pissed at me because I took her trumpet out and fragged it. of course its not in exactly the same location as before. I needed to take bits off because it was just getting too large. Piece of that trumpet was added to the MDP, the other bits I will likely see if I can trade in for something soft and squishy.

Your lfs takes trumpet trades for fat chicks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I traded in my leather coral, kept a tiny frag moved the gorg to the back, trimmed back the trumpet a little.  The colours are a bit off. I tried to reduce the blue with a orange overlay in photoshop. I got a Scionix Salinity tester today. Oh and Happy Birthday to me :3

november6th.png

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

I traded in my leather coral, kept a tiny frag moved the gorg to the back, trimmed back the trumpet a little.  The colours are a bit off. I tried to reduce the blue with a orange overlay in photoshop. I got a Scionix Salinity tester today. Oh and Happy Birthday to me :3

november6th.png

Yay!!! Happy Birthday!! 😄

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

That trumpet colony is ridiculous!! Looking good!

it's gorgeous, but I want to get rid of it really, it takes up so much space. Buy my clowns host it... - so I just frag it every so often.

I grew it from a single head.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
22 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

That trumpet colony is ridiculous!! Looking good!

I've been thinking about that trumpet. I have had it for about 4 years now. It, the blasto (for sure) are corals I had before I went to the 10 gallon. It has been with me since I restarted the tank - I'll try to find the original pic.

Okay I got thes ecorals back between March and April 2015 - who are still with me today.

Green rock flower anemone (now has about a 5 inch disk)

Hammer coral (1 head)

Blastomussa (1head)

Trumpet (1 head)

1 cluster of zoas no idea what they were colled (for sure)

long term residents.png

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

I've been thinking about that trumpet. I have had it for about 4 years now. It, the blasto (for sure) are corals I had before I went to the 10 gallon. It has been with me since I restarted the tank - I'll try to find the original pic.

Okay I got thes ecorals back between March and April 2015 - who are still with me today.

Green rock flower anemone (now has about a 5 inch disk)

Hammer coral (1 head)

Blastomussa (1head)

Trumpet (1 head)

1 cluster of zoas no idea what they were colled (for sure)

long term residents.png

Huge growth in 4 years!! Nice...Mine is probably just as old but not nearly as big....and I didnt really feed my corals for proly the first 3 years

5 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Huge growth in 4 years!! Nice...Mine is probably just as old but not nearly as big....and I didnt really feed my corals for proly the first 3 years

What you do, what I can't seem to do - at least in that tank, is get coraline to grow.

6 hours ago, Sunstar said:

What you do, what I can't seem to do - at least in that tank, is get coraline to grow.

Have you tried using purple up or maybe use some kalkwasser in the auto top off water?