Pod Your Reef

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

RODI is running - still needs tweeking, but I am getting some water made up for my. I am cleaning my mixing bucket so I will make water for the mixing bucket, then I will fill up my freshwater top off jug. I will have to make WC water when I get home.

I am unable to take pics currently as I have no phone in order to do so, however I did a 95% WC and changed from Tap to RODI. I ensured salinity and temperature was a match. I would like to get SPS - one or two, I will check my parameters after work tonight, but so far, everything opened up. My purple ribbon gorgonian was opened up party way through the change. Not phased in the least.

I am sad to say that this morning I awoke to notice that something was not right with my tank. My usually lively little fish was absent. I looked around until I spotted a bit of blue under my hermits. Looks as if he passed early in the morning and the CUC was taking care of it. I removed the remains and looked it over before planting him at the roots of my rosemary plant.

I am very sad to see Suction Cup go, he was an adorable part of my nano reef, a part I enjoyed muchly. So much personality packed into such a tiny body.

It saddens me greatly, but I will remember that tiny fish and how he gave me so much joy. So I will post a picture of Suction Cup in his Favourite hole in the wall.

Let us all raise a glass of wine to Suction Cup. The fish who was adorable <3

IMG_20151112_121739.jpg

I am looking into getting another neon goby and a firefish.

• Like 1

November 28 2015. 2:08AM

I have asked the LFS to call me when a red firefish and Neon Goby are stocked. These two are what I have decided on for now. I would love another choice but I do not want to overstock. I m ight consider a cleaner shrimp though there are some with such character that I think would be lovely.

Thinking of:

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Scarlet Shrimp

Sexy Shrimp

Anemone Crab

Strawberry Conch.

Moar nassarius Snails.

(I rather like inverts)

I really want a royal Gramma - but that might be pushing it with two gobies. If it is going by the 1/2 inch adult fish per gallon it won't do able.

I wanted to get clowns, but they are too large. I will hold off on clowns until such time as I get a tank large enough for clowns.

tonight was media night. Its when I go through and rinse my media, thin my chaeto add some filter floss to get larger bits.

Still super sad about Suction Cup.

Dreaming of light fixtures

I have a lot of parts for my current light fixture, but I could make it so much better, and personally, I find it a lot of fun to DIY.

So I am looking at this:

Rapid LED housing kit And then I spot this Aurora Puck and that gets me all hot and bothered.... And then I see this. Aurora Puck Kit with storm drivers? and I am thinking OMG make me stop. I am so badly bitten. I dare say it might be cheaper just for me to buy a fixture that I can operate.. but the whole appeal of I built it and I can fix it attracts me.

A story Metrokat told in her thread gave me a sickening feeling. I got this horrible thought that my goby might have been sitting in the power head.

The outlette the powerhead is in seems a bit loose. You walk by and the carpet moves, the powerbar jiggles and the powerhead goes off. Perhaps in teh night when we got up to get a drink or something we walked by the powerhead went off. My husband gets up before me, and peeked into its normal cave and did not see it. He would be standing near where the powerbar is and maybe j iggled it. turning it on and suction cup got nailed.

WHen I found the fish it did not look long dead.

December 8th 2015. 3:30am

Things are looking much improved. Corals seem happier, Hammers are splitting, the trumpet split sometime during last month so now I have three heads. Most of the zoas recovered one is just too weak to recover I think. Gorgonians are growing very well. The purple ribbon is colouring up and has shed skin at least once a week, I am seeing new growth on it.

Green Star polyps are starting to grow up the back wall of the tank, this is okay. I al lowed the GSP rock to touch the back wall so I could get it to spread there. when it gets more growth, I will cut it away from the rock and move the rock into position. It is not a huge deal for me to peel it off the back wall to glue onto rocks or plugs for trade at a later date.

Everything looks amazing.

I got a real cheap acan frag to play with. it cost 10 dollars. has one head and 4 very tiny starter heads. I think this one was the one that had been at the reef shop for some months, the acans died off but one head prevailed and is growing. so I am going to give it a shot. I got a few sad frags from there to play with. Usually very inexpensive. Its enough to see if I can get it to survive.

On my list of experimentals:

Purple ribbon gorg. (fluffy as all hell)

Acan (new)

Purple capricorn Monti (Starting to adjust to tank)

Blastomussa - (went from one to 12 heads)

Pipe organ (failed)

I am very pleased with the blasto and the purple ribbon

2:00pm December 13, 2015

Coral Reef Shop just got in a supply of OMG I can barely afford ems. Beautiful scolies - I would love a very tiny one. Favias, hammers, torches, OMG acans.

I ended up returning home with a favia, Ultra Acan and a starfish. I had to reorganise my tank a little. moving stuff onto the rock, slowly. The two corals are in the tank right now, the starfish has been quietly acclimatising in a bucket.

• Like 1

I need to do a water change, but I kinda hope my starfish goes a little lower.

anyway FTS: I took it with my tablet cam. I suck at taking photos.

As I said previously, I got two new corals and a starfish. I really hope the starfish does okay. I was a bit concerned with the transition as the salinity of the tank it came from was closer to 1.028 and I have been keeping mine at 1.025 I am actually aiming to take it to 1.024 actually.

73179ba2-9f0e-4df3-80a8-ebc91a235e92.jpg

• Like 2

December 17th 2015

1:00 am.

I swore the other day I saw evidence of a moult to my hallowe'en crab. I know it was lurking in behind rocks and under the overhang for the past week. what all my crabs seem to do when they moult. go off and hide themselves for protection. SO when my crab was sitting idly on the rock last night, I wondered. so when I saw the blue legged eating at what appeared to be a corpse, and no apparent body in the shell, I was "Oh shame :( its dead." I did not give up hope though. I moved the shell so the opening was next to the front glass. When I returned from work and fed the emerald, I saw pumpking. What delight! It lives.

I keep dropping shells I hope it will like into the tank. It seems to be very picky.

• Like 1

I wrote a review on a project I am sadly disappointed in.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/368350-hydor-koralia-circulation-and-wave-pump-240-gph-loud/

Its a cute pump, but not a very nice pump. In a nutshell it is loud. I suppose I got what I paid for, 40 dollars (CDN) as opposed to the price of a vortech.

(Owned for one month)

What I like about it:

• The suction cups with magnets.
What I dislike about it:
  • Says it has an anti vibration system - but vibrates like mad. It shakes!
  • It is very loud
  • does not keep direction well.
  • Takes up a huge amount of room in the tank.
Right now for me I have taken the product out to see what the balancing issue is with the propeller. it really strikes me as off balanced as the whole head shakes and vibrates. At night it is incredibly loud and needs to be shut off. I dislike airpumps because of sound and this thing drowns out the air pump.

I do worry that this sound will distress my livestock. it does distress me.

I feel as soon as I can save up money for a Vortech MP10, I will dump this into a mixing bucket where it will be more useful and less offensive. So if the only thing I have to say I like about it is the suction cups are nice, then this is not a nice product.

If you need to get one, buy from someone who is getting rid of it. I would recommend avoiding this product and just purchasing a good product from the outset.

Okay, so I made my complaint about their product today, I explained that it would cost me more to ship it back to where I got it and basically I would rather it have worked instead of needing a replacement. And that I will save my money for a different product.

5 back and forth emails later, they informed me that they will be shipping a replacement free of charge. That is good customer service. Very good.

• Like 1

Wishlist:

1. Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10wQD Quietdrive
  2. NanoBox Tide Plus M - with Decepticon/Starscream/purple custom (gooseneck and bluefish)
  3. IM Ghost Nano Protein Skimmer - DeskTop
  4. Battery Backup
  5. Battery air pump
  6. A few new test kits.
  • Like 1

I am cross posting this here from a thread I just made.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/368674-something-feelsoff/#entry5216987

Perhaps its the weather, we have had an incoming storm. I am not sure how much winter storms affect reef tanks. But the past 24 hours things have been looking "off"

I have been doing my weekly water changes. I dumped and changed the RODI top off tank just now. But it seems to look odd.

First of all my nem moved from her place at the base of the rocks and jammed herself in a hole by my zoanthids.

Some of my zoanthids elsewhere are closed, others are open. Some corals that spent the past 4 weeks largely closed have actually started to open and my gorgonian is half open and half closed. Hammer coral - seems closed, one is somewhat "flumpy" but I knocked if off during the water change and have it in a slightly different spot.

I checked water parameters last night after work, several hours after the water change and they read as follows - again I bought the wrong PH test :/

I need to get NH2 and PH tests shortly. TDS on RODI is 0

I am considering increasing WC to 3 a week, with the minor ones being only a 1l. Last water change was 6l. tank is a Nuvo fusion 10.

Any input?

27-12-15.png

Tests, Tests, tests! Lets light this candle ~ Starscream

I have noticed a little issue with my tank, things just "didn't seem right" You know how it is. You look in and it just seems "off" Part of that might be because my nem moved.

I had seen thins looking off and since I did a water change Wednesday afternoon, rinsed out the media and added carbon, I have seen an improvement. I noticed between a couple of tests that Phosphates appeared to be creeping up. Last test it has been reduced. I think rinsing out hte media had a big part in that.

10-10-16.png

On the sad side, My starfish did not make it. Very disappointed. I guess what I learned is my tank is not suitable for it. I really wish it did not come at the expense of a life. I feel like total hell in regards to that.

IMG_20160101_210329.jpg