Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mushroom fell off frag plug

aaron186

I am new to SW. I just bought a ricordea mushroom frag. When I opened the bag from the LFS the mushroom had broken off. I called the LFS and they said to rubber band it to a small rock. I tried this and it looked like it was too tight on the shroom. It is now floating around loose in my tank on the bottom. Any suggestions how to save it?

Marc.The.Shark

put some LR rubble in the bottom of a shot glass & put the mushroom in there. Place it in an area out of direct flow so that it won't blow out of shot glass. Wait a few days to a week & it'll attach to the rubble, then glue wherever you want. If you don't have a low flow area, then rubber band some screen around top of shot glass.

Marc.The.Shark

no, that'll work. Might make the mushroom split. I've always had a hard time with that method tho.

Edit: you can't kill those mushrooms, they multiply like crazy. I've heard of people putting regular ones in the blender & still live, must have had a hundred after that! lol. People use to frag them by cutting with a knife like a pizza across the mouth so every frag has a piece of the mouth. Not many people do that anymore, they multiply fast enuf already.

does the orientation of the mushroom on the rock matter? i can't quite seem to figure out which was was the top and bottom... it seems to have color on all sides

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, you want the base on the rock so it attaches. They're kinda slimy & hard to work with, that's why i said i never liked that method. Just leave it alone for a day or two and see what it looks like once you rubberband it. Or stop at your LFS & pick up a small piece of LR and hit it with a hammer & make some rubble & use the shot glass method. I always keep some rubble around to mount frags, looks better than frag plugs.

What you can also do is put the shroom on the rock and use some mesh (like the plastic mesh onions come in) and wrap the mesh around the rock, but not so tight that you split the shroom. It will attach within a week or so like Marc said.

Generally with ricordeas, the bumpy side is the top. Like Marc said, leave it alone for a bit in a corner until you can tell which is up and which is down.

What type of ricordia? Yuma, or Florida? What color is it? Some are easier to keep and multiply than others. Best way I have found to get them to mount to something is rubble rock in a small Tupperware container. You said you don't have rubble rock. You do if you have some live or dry rock and a hammer. You can even beat up frag plugs for rubble. You want to use some fine sand in the bottom of the container so it can't mount to larger pieces of corse sand or the container. Put it in the bottom of the tank with low flow and wait a bit. A mesh screen and rubber band come in handy to keep it in the container and others out of the container.

is it ok to just leave it loose on the sand bed?

yep especially if it's a Yuma. It will find a place it likes.... Unless it's one of those super pretty rare yumas, if that's the case it's just gonna shrivle up and die no matter what you do.

I have to find it first. It got loose in the tank and now I can't find it. Not sure if my crabs ate it, if it got sucked into the filter, or if its hiding in a rock somewhere, or aliens stole it

Archived