Top Shelf Aquatics

Softie garden: Dandelion's 6.25 Arc

dandelion

03/19/2017 FTS (most hard corals moved to new tank)

8D72A8B4-ECEC-42BC-83E2-1088FC764261_zps

03/12/2017 FTS

9CBD4320-5731-4088-8E76-C8C7B3E24568_zps

02/20/2017 FTS

2758241C-F1EC-4107-A342-8945CD3F41D6_zps

01/18/2017 FTS

IMG_1087_zpsdosuheqo.jpg

11/30/2016 FTS
CA3894B6-A434-4D38-BDB9-D85CA41320A4_zps

09/04/2016 FTSIMG_0192_zpsdqd577ot.jpg

02/01/2016 FTS
B41C6A1C-B291-4ADA-89F7-B6DAE4346718_zps
To follow up on my previous post, I have a 29G FOWLR running and I am itching to start a pico tank. I was going to go with the CADlights 4G. However, after reading about the horrible customer service from CADlights on reef central, and that they don't have the flipper light anymore, I went with the Petco 6.25G Arc.

This tank comes with a built in filtration area in the center. It is a little bit awkward to leave the two sides out as part of the display portion, but I guess I'll find out how to use that real estate later.

IMG_0002_zpsyjljzi8s.jpg
Leak test on my kitchen counter

The LED lights that came with the tank has day and night mode. However, it is certainly not going to cut it because I want this to be a coral + invertebrates tank. I have ordered a Wave-point 12" 16W Blue/White Clamp on LED. Hopefully it will be here some time next week.
Wave-point-6-Watt-Micro-Sun-Super-Blue-a
Wave-Point LED

IMG_0004_zps8zpigppi.jpg
Top view of the back filtration area

IMG_0005_zpsgix1ubi0.jpg
Back view of the filtration area

2 problems I have noticed with the filtration area:

• There is a tiny slot near the base of the first chamber that allows water flowing into it without going through surface skimming. This can be easily fixed using silicone sealant.
  • The partition between the second and third chamber is not sealed at the bottom. That place is hard to reach so I am not sure if I can seal that up easily.

To-do list:

• Upgrade the pump to Hydor Pico 200. The stock pump only moves a meager 40GPH.
  • Ordered an Eheim Jager 25W for the 3rd chamber.
  • Get some eggcrate to build a media rack. I plan to run polyfoam pads, ceramic rings, purigen and phosguard.
  • Aquascape

And a few questions:

• I am currently planning on mostly softies and LPS. Do I need an extra powerhead?
  • Where can I buy a 5lbs or 10lbs bag of aragonite sand, preferable black? Amazon has a 5lbs bag of tahitian moon sand, but it does not have any buffering capacity aragonite sand does.
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that filter compartment. Should be easy to modify. The PetCo near me sells the black aragonite sand, maybe check back at yours?

Cool little setup you have planned.

I wouldn't worry about the 2nd/3rd chamber gap. it'll get gummed up pretty quick and the flow will find the right direction.

I would probably add another powerhead for flow randomization. They make some tiny hydors these days that would fit well.

Black sand generally will not buffer the water nearly as well as the white stuff does. But the difference is easily overcome with minimal dosing. Go with the Caribsea stuff... Hawaiian black or Indo-pacific mix.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this :)

The one near me doesn't have any... Maybe I will go to one further out this weekend to see if they have some.

I like that filter compartment. Should be easy to modify. The PetCo near me sells the black aragonite sand, maybe check back at yours?

Thanks for the tip on the chamber gap! I guess I'll add another powerhead in a bit. Have to cycle the tank anyways so I am in no hurry.

I didn't know black sand does not buffer as good as white sand. I am thinking with a small water volume I need as much help as I can get from the substrate & rocks...

Cool little setup you have planned.

I wouldn't worry about the 2nd/3rd chamber gap. it'll get gummed up pretty quick and the flow will find the right direction.

I would probably add another powerhead for flow randomization. They make some tiny hydors these days that would fit well.

Black sand generally will not buffer the water nearly as well as the white stuff does. But the difference is easily overcome with minimal dosing. Go with the Caribsea stuff... Hawaiian black or Indo-pacific mix.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this :)

Thanks for the tip on the chamber gap! I guess I'll add another powerhead in a bit. Have to cycle the tank anyways so I am in no hurry.

I didn't know black sand does not buffer as good as white sand. I am thinking with a small water volume I need as much help as I can get from the substrate & rocks...

Yeah, the black stuff is made from volcanic rock that has eroded into sand. White sand actually comes from coral skeletal structures and is calcium carbonate. That's why it helps buffer the water better as if the alkalinity or Ph drops it actually consumes some of the Calcium.

Thanks! Guess I'll go with white then. I can probably also mix some of my FOWLR sand in to jumpstart the cycle.

Yeah, the black stuff is made from volcanic rock that has eroded into sand. White sand actually comes from coral skeletal structures and is calcium carbonate. That's why it helps buffer the water better as if the alkalinity or Ph drops it actually consumes some of the Calcium.

You have a pretty nice one there! Are you keeping SPS in there? Sorry I'm very new to the coral thing. Borrowed a couple of books from the library to help. :)

What light are you running?

image.jpg

This is one that I started I love it seems to be doing great for me. Hope youres goes good for you. ;)

I'm running a aqua mars led light 165w on the lowest settings right now and the only coral I have are a button Polyp, 2 colony's of zoas, and a blue mushroom I my do some hard corals in the future tho.

Ooh ya I'm also using a marine land canister filter made for up to 30 gallon tanks on this it seems to add more flow and it is doin a good job so far. Only down side is it sucks so much that it drains the resivor and I have to take the first filter from the original filter system and raise it up to let more water flow go by.

That's a really strong light there for a small tank. I was thinking about it for my 29G but I really didn't want to suspend anything from the ceiling. I really care about the aesthetics.

I'm running a aqua mars led light 165w on the lowest settings right now and the only coral I have are a button Polyp, 2 colony's of zoas, and a blue mushroom I my do some hard corals in the future tho.

I got some dry live rock from my LFS. Any suggestions on how to aquascape? I'm debating whether to break up the smaller piece and continue the taper of the larger piece, and then just leave maybe a couple islands on the left side to create a more spacious and simplistic feel.

IMG_0006_zpsytpi0wi8.jpg

What are you running in your canister? Are you running filter pads too? I have read that mechanical filter can turn into a nitrate factory, so you have to clean it like 2-3 times a week.

I'm only planning on keeping it simple and using the back filtration area. It is pretty roomer and I think it should be enough for me for now.

Ooh ya I'm also using a marine land canister filter made for up to 30 gallon tanks on this it seems to add more flow and it is doin a good job so far. Only down side is it sucks so much that it drains the resivor and I have to take the first filter from the original filter system and raise it up to let more water flow go by.

I'll break them up this weekend. Guess if it got them too small I can always superglue them back together.

Will post pictures when done

I agree, break up the rocks and you'll be able to create a much more dynamic scape that better fits the aquarium.

I noticed the glass and acrylic that separates the chambers aren't glued together perfectly, so even if it fits mine snugly you may have to trim it more to fit.

I'm planning on putting polyfoam and polishing pads in the first, purigen carbon and phish yard in the second, and ceramic rings in the third.

Way cool how much for one for mine ;) what do you plan on useing in it?

Aquascape done! Took me an afternoon.

IMG_5502_zpsddwyomra.jpg

IMG_5504_zpsbkb1xref.jpg

The obligatory cloudy FTS:

IMG_5506_zpsacjtuyse.jpg

I made the mistake of mixing salt in a tank that does not have very much water flow. Guess I will have to blast away with my turkey baster tomorrow. Notice the salt water moving just above the substrate.

2dwcggh.jpg

I didn't glue all of them. I only glued up parts that may fall off if blown against under strong current, oh and the "shelf" on the right side I did glue on.

Cool scape Dandie! But, yes, always mix before pouring water. Did you glue your rocks together?

Thanks! I basically just broke up my two pieces of rock and started playing with different layouts. I kept in mind to maximize surface area as much as I can do inhale more room for corals.

I like how you set up your rocks!!

I first need to wait for it to cycle.... I have some live rock rubble from my FOWLR I can put in so hopefully a couple of weeks?

Nice rock work it's coming along great. Before you know it you will be stocking it all up ;)

Heater and new pump are here! Eheim Jager 25W and Hydor Pico 200.

IMG_5528_zpsfgvzrbed.jpg

New pump certainly has much more flow than the old one. Do I need another powerhead if this will mostly be a zoa tank?

IMG_5527_zpsypfncjuu.jpg

Up and running! Ammonia dosed. May the cycle now begin.

IMG_5526_zpsxa5v4vab.jpg

New light is here! It's a 2nd hand light off eBay. Cost me $25 only with free shipping! One bulb is blown but I am not picky when I got it for so cheap. I think the seller spent like $14 for shipping so he/she really didn't make anything.

IMG_5533_zps5fqvr4zu.jpg

Old stock light has been taped to the back to be used as a fuge light. That's my 2nd chamber!

IMG_5534_zpsye3xt8bu.jpg

Probably not going to be any updates for a while. Maybe 2-4 weeks until the tank is cycled?

Nice upgrades! What type of light is that?

Up and running! Ammonia dosed. May the cycle now begin.

Probably not going to be any updates for a while. Maybe 2-4 weeks until the tank is cycled?

It a WavePoint clamp on light. 16 watt per the manufacturer. With one being out I guess it's more like 15W but should still be plenty for 5 gallon of water volume.

Full water change (if ever) finally doesn't sound like a nightmare.

Nice upgrades! What type of light is that?

Archived