SaltCritters.com

nanocube cycle/sponge filter questions

newbiecarlz

newbiecarlz

hi guys!

heaps of people have been helping me with my thread in the 'members nano reefs forum' (thankyou- much appreciated) but i want help with two specific questions.

my tank has been running for just over a month. i had a cycle (ammonia peak, then nitrite peak) but i havent been able to get my ammonia to drop back to 0. its stays at 0.25. so far the only livestock is one snail and two hermits.

my parameters are:

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0

nitrate 5

i found and removed some decaying sponge on my LR a few days ago, but no change in ammonia as yet.

i still have the sponges in the back of my cube. i know that lots of people here say to remove them. but if i remove them wont i also be removing bacteria colonys in the sponge? and if i remove them how will i get rid of particulate matter? can i keep sponges in if i rinse once a week when i do water change?

so my questions are

1) should i just wait and see what happens with my ammonia?

2) if i remove sponges what will happen? do i replace them with something else?

thanks again

I keep just one in the first compartment and clean it once a week with *ohhhh tap water eeek!*, then let it dry. No probs for me at all and it collects a huge anount of crap.

If this is anew setup, I wouldn't use em at all and allow the LR to do all the bio activity it needs to develop.

HTH

Chris

PS The ideal thing to replace them with is live rock rubble - best filter you could ever use.

newbiecarlz

but i dont think the live rock rubble would get any light in the back of the nanocube? is it ok if it gets no light? and wont it cause another cycle?

The bacteria will still grow in the rubble, which acts as the biological filtration when water is passed through. It may not look pretty but its doing its job.

Get rid of that sponge. Yes, some gunk will show back there but does go away as your cycle proccess it. I been quite surprised how little stuff actually ends up there in any the sections in the back, but the one with the power head! That section seem to end up with all things that couldn't be digested! Oh, I have live rock ruuble in the first sectiions along with my temp probe. The heater is in the third and the powerhead is in the last.

Steve

newbiecarlz

ok thanks guys

i guess replacing that sponge with LR rubble is the way to go then! i know where i can get some....

it will cause another cycle though yes? i guess it wont be as big as the first though?

reverai mine is set up the same but my thermometer is in the display area.

newbiecarlz

also i spotted a mantis in there last night (!) ive been hearing clicking but hoped it was just some snapping shrimp or something.. but yesterday i saw him poking his little eye stalks out of some LR, and saw his body as he turned around in the hole, im pretty sure it was a mantis... im going to try to catch him using a bottle-trap.. he must be pretty hungry after a month with no feeding.. unless hes been eating algae!

My thermometer has the display outside the tank and it gets the temp from a long wire that leads into the back section.I can get a warning if the temp gets to warm or two cold too!

Steve

Archived