ReefCleaners.org

The 2.5 Project... (time Documented With Pic)

samwoo2go

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The 20w Coralife 50/50 bulb is even cheaper at thatpetplace.com. i got mine for $10 + some change.

IMO, that bulb by itself is a little blue & not very bright. i installed a second socket and put a 6.5k LOA aquarium light from walmart in it. the two bulbs together give of a nice crisp white light while still showing corals fluorescence.

thanks for the tip but I already ordered the bulbs.

I wanted a more blue look, so its actually still a little too white for me. But thanks

i think your tank is lookin great and i'm no expert but maybe try puttting the majority of pieces in the middle. Seeing as the pieces on the left and the right are being held up by the sides of the tank it looks like your tank is gonna be a SOB to clean

but otherwise arrange your rocks untill you think they look good and you will most likely move them again when you start getting corals so i wouldn't be to concerned about it right now

Thanks Hub, thats a really good idea, I will try to make more space on the left side, but I can't see the tank from the right side, so I'll just leave the right side alone for now. I will post pics of new aquascape when I do it... soon.... :)

Corals wise, I want a GSP Garden in there and just some little red mushroms here and there. (kindda like a rose field) What do you guys think?

And also, will GSP grow on sand and glass or just rocks? If just rocks, if I layout a thin layer of coral rubble, will they spread on that?

Corals wise, I want a GSP Garden in there and just some little red mushroms here and there. (kindda like a rose field) What do you guys think?
Sounds cool! Simple, yet original.

And also, will GSP grow on sand and glass or just rocks? If just rocks, if I layout a thin layer of coral rubble, will they spread on that?
GSP will grow on glass, but seems to very slowly. And it doesn't seem to attach until the glass has some coraline. It won't grow in the sand. I was actually thinking about doing something similar. (not just GSP & shrooms, but GSP on the bottom of the tank) I was thinking of making an arago-crete bottom that fit the tank perfectly. That may be something to consider.

ok, sorry I was away for the weekend, but did come back with some goodies... ;)

Ok 1st LiveStock in the 2.5G... The Randalli Pistol Shrimp!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: (It wasn't paired with a goby :( but Im sure he will pair up with a HighFin Red-Banded Goby, I seen LFS just throw a random 2 together and they pair up right away... as long as they can find each other... ;) )

Ok here he is floating in the bag...he is about 3/4" long. :)

9197ps1.jpg

He went right to the front right corner of the tank and stay there so far... (at least its not the BACK right corner... ;) )

9197ps2.jpg

ENJOY...

CELLENZ...

is arago-crete same thing as egg-crate? and if so, were you planning to put it right on top of the sand, or just buried?

let me know how it goes if you are going to do it, it sounds like a pretty interesting idea...

Thanks

wish i had a pistol =/. i was trying to get one when i had my goby but down hea in kc its hard to get anything "rare". but o well goby died/disappeared and never saw it since...and ordering one from the net isnt my ideal choice aniwase. JMO.

ok just got started to make the auto top off for the 40G, MB5, and the 2.5G. Heres what I did so far...

STEP 1 - Supplies needed.

9197fs1.jpg

STEP 2 - thread the wires and a long metal coat hanger wire through a standard soft airline tubing.

9197fs2-med.jpg

STEP 3 - cut the smaller prong wire only.

9197fs3.jpg

STEP 4 - connect each of the float switch's wires to the two cut wires.

9197fs4.jpg

STEP 5 - Bent the metal Coat hanger wire at 2 90 degrees angle at approx 1.5" to 2" apart.

silicone the Float Switch to the airline tubing.

Goop (stronger hold) the airline holding suction cup to the airline tubing.

9197fs5.jpg

If enough order comes through, I could make more of these for sell.

Just the float switch with the 6' extension cord hooked up will be $20 plus shipping.

The auto top-off package including a MaxiJet 1200 (300GPH), 5 feet of return hose, and a 5G container will be $50 plus shipping.

Drop me a PM if interested.

schweet , lol i swear i was coming to the forms to ask if anyone knew how to hook up a float switch to a pump and i find this on the opening page! wow got to love this site. would you reccamend this setup with a larger pump such as a mag5 or mag 2? planing on running a return from sump with this and a top off.

also how do you know which side of the wire to cut? that is the only thing that is confusing me. also would there be a way to snail proof this bad mama jama?

Sam,

is arago-crete same thing as egg-crate? and if so, were you planning to put it right on top of the sand, or just buried

Aragocrete is actually DIY rock. It is made out of either aragonite or oyster shells and portland cement. You let it cure in water for several weeks and you're left with very cheap rock.

For my new nano, I was thinking of making a wood box with the exact same footprint as the tank. Then using it as a mould to make the rock in. If it works out, the rock should turn out as a slab that fits perfctly in the tank.

http://www.garf.org/LEONELS/rock.html

also how do you know which side of the wire to cut? that is the only thing that is confusing me. also would there be a way to snail proof this bad mama jama?
You should cut the "hot" wire (usually has a ridge on the insulation, and is the small blade on the plug) but, it doesn't really matter which wire you cut. Either way, you're breaking the circuit.

As for snail-proofing, you can mount it in a pill bottle with a bunch of holes drilled in it.

Originally posted by tylernt

It's completely counter-intuitive, but I've read from several sources that a hood with a white interior reflects more light than a silver one. Makes no sense to me but there it is.

Looking good so far though! :)

If we're talking about paint, then silver is really a "gray" color, and will absorb more light than white.

Steve

Ghotit: I see no problem using a mag for return for the Float Switch, you are just gunna have a hell of a flow into the tank when its time for return, so obviously its not gunna work for a small tank. (I say smaller than 30).

I hope you know you CAN'T use the same pump to return an Auto-Top-off and a Sump. One pumps RO water, and one tank water.

It doesn't matter which wire to cut on the cord, but I always cut the hot one, as a habit.

As far as snail proofing goes, anything rigid you can drill small holes on that will fit over it w/o touching the bobbler will be fine. If you are going to use med bottle, make sure you wash it out really good, unless you think your fish needs some Tylenol. also I would try to use a clear bottle instead of the ugly orange ones, as it will look better, and you can see easily if the switch needs cleaning or maintance.

Cellenz: so you are planning to just have a slab of flat rock on the bottom of the tank and no sand?

Crazy: the tank is kinnda ugly right now as Im holding some temp rocks with small mushroom frags on them until I figure out what to do with them.

as all can see the Randalli Pistol Shrimp has already started to build his new home in the front right corner of the tank. I watched him for about 2 hours last night just digging, pushing, and carrying sand grain by grain. Fascinating animal. Really cool.

91972_5_UD.jpg

BUY SOME AUTO-TOP-OFFS GUYS!!! :)

Cellenz: so you are planning to just have a slab of flat rock on the bottom of the tank and no sand?
Not flat... it'll be terrascaped nicely. And I plan on covering it with GSP. Sam said he was considering the same- that's why I suggested the slab

Archived