Pod Your Reef

IS there a better alternative to the SpinStream from Innovative Marine?

Milkeeway

I don't find mine to be all that loud and it definitely does not bother me, BUUUUT it would also be cool to have the tank as quiet as it can be.

Just curious if anyone has heard of/used any alternatives? I'm not even sure what to call it other than a spinstream so even a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

I know there's much better flow alternatives if I go with a powerhead like an MP10 or Jaebo or something but I like the clean look.

Besides the spinstream, I only know of the HydorFlo that you can put on the return.

The Tunze Nanostream 6020 pump is pretty cool since you could angle the direction of flow, but I'm not sure what kind of tank you are putting this on to make an educated response based on your specifications.

I will add though, I do love my MP10 and it doesn't overpower my fusion 10 which is a 12"x12" cube.

Besides the spinstream, I only know of the HydorFlo that you can put on the return.

The Tunze Nanostream 6020 pump is pretty cool since you could angle the direction of flow, but I'm not sure what kind of tank you are putting this on to make an educated response based on your specifications.

I will add though, I do love my MP10 and it doesn't overpower my fusion 10 which is a 12"x12" cube.

Sorry for the late response. Didn't get the email notification like I normally do. I also have an Innovative Marine Fusion 10. I like the MP10 it's about the only powerhead I would put in here because it has a relatively low profile.

The only thing I am not loving about the spinstream is that it causes just a little too much water distortion for my leds. The whole bottom looks like a disco ball. I lost the stock piece so I can't revert to that right now. I just want to get an attachment to the stock return that moves the water but doesn't bother the surface so much.

Marc.The.Shark

This product has been in the aquarium trade since I started in it almost 20 years ago. Never tried it myself, but the amount of time it's been around must mean something.

http://m.marinedepot.com/products/3q1111/scwd-wavemaker-switching-current-water-director-squid

I've been using SCWD's for random flow for 6+ years & am still using my original (used) one. You have to have 2 returns to alternate the flow, but other than that mine has been going strong. I bought a backup in case I needed to swap out a few years ago & it's still new & will be using it on my new tank & keeping the original as a backup. A couple things that I've noticed....they need to be cleaned about every 6-8 months, which for me entails soaking in vinegar for about an hour while i do a water change/tank maitenance, then a good rinse. Also the 1" gets pretty poor reviews since they changed it so that you can break it down to clean it. I have the 3/4" and never had an issue. I also run 1/2" returns & just use reducers as close to rhe return nozzle as i can get, usually a foot or so. Other than that they work really well & keep extra powerheads out of my display. Also, plan on an oversized pump, one drawback is that you lose about 40% output with the SCWD & that's before I reduce down to 1/2". Not for everyone, but i like them & will continue to use. Plus they're as quiet as your return pump, they don't make noise.

I have a jebao rw-4 in my IM 10. It's mounted under the return nozzle on the false wall and I barely notice it . Makes an awesome wave too.

Archived