Top Shelf Aquatics

Help, I'm a newbie!!

BrianKeil

I just entered the hobby!! A year ago I tried my hand at keeping a porcupine puffer, but had to get rid of him when I left for college. Now I'm trying a Nano-reef.. I started off with a 5 gal. tank and added a glass cover and a 20 gal biowheel filter, added a 25watt visitherm deluxe. I used a 2 gallon refractor and a mini compact fuorescent 50/50 10 watt bulb. Also, I fit a strip of 6 Led into my refractor, which is coated with reflective tape on the inside. The tank has about 2 lbs of LS and about 8-9 lbs of live rock. I have had the tank running for only a month!!! The live stock includes, 1 perc. clown, 1 white sand star, 1 emerald crab(a stowaway on my live rock!).. The one piece of live rock has feather dusters and zoos all over it(bought that way at 4.99 a lb!!!!) I also have a cutting of Ricordea, red mushroom and chlostrea. All of my water levels are amazing!! My question is do I have to much in the tank?, what types of corals should I go with next? Is my light ok? Everything is thriving, but I worry I did something wrong.. Any help or comments would be awesome!

Thanx!!! Thats kinda what I was thinking, not enough light... Will a 20 watt be ok into the refractor I have??? I've been using a 10 watt?

I don't know... it's probably rated for what, 15 watts (it should say on it somewhere)? If so, you might want to drill out some additional venting holes in the back for 20.

Ok, I ordered the 20 Watt.. My hood says not to use anything higher than 15... I am going to drill a lot of holes into it to vent and also remove the white plastic thing (tech term) around the bulb presently. Now I just have to figure out a way to transport my tank to college (1 hour drive) The fun never stops ;) Any ideas of what to put in next? I was thinking maybe pulsing xenia(is that the name?)

Hi all, I have recently added 3 sexy shrimp and a leather into my tank. Everything seems to be fine. I ordered a 20 watt bulb and we'll see how that works... Any other things Im missing or should change??

I would drop the biowheel if you have enough LR (around 5-10#). They are supposed to cause high nitrates. Most of us don't use bio-wheels.

The live rock will act as the biological filter. You may need to be careful in removing since it has bacteria on it that you need until the rock catches up. I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

Bio wheel is now gone, thanx all!!!!!!!!! So what next?? Should I add anything subtract anything?.. Also does any1 know if my sexy shrimp will breed or if there is a way to get them to?

Archived