Coral Vue Hydros

Photo Journal of a 10g Reef [img intensive]

ChloroPhil

Tigahboy

Thanks for the kind words. Patience is definately a hard thing to come by in my house, especially when I'm setting up a new tank. Fortunately I've had enough bad experiences to appreciate the fact that it takes me less time to do it slowly and correctly the first time rather than having to redo things three or four times after the fact. This tank's in the livingroom so it has to be done right the first time.

I've got a bunch of plant tanks downstairs that I can rush through and have to fix afterwards if I feel the need. :)

Best,

Phil

Man, Phil, You have one of the nicest 10 gallons ive seen, and that is out of many, i love that valley aquascaping, i was thinking hard on it to buy some more LR for my 10 and create something to your scape, I am going to be buying a surface skimer with the ac500, and i realy hate how bulky it looks, remembering VicSKimmer's tank with the valley i thought of 'hiding' the skimmer with rocks and creating like a mound on the left and then one on the right,

I was searching for information on the ac500 as a fuge so i could set one up for mine, and i stumbled across your fuge thread which helped me alot also, and then i stumbled across your journal and man on man, seeing your setup inspired me SO MUCH to what i would have liked to do for my reef, If its alright with you i hope to try and mimic the scape.

Really beautiful man, I cant wait to see any updates that you have and of your 20H

smokez01,

Sorry it's taken so long, I missed the notice of your reply. Thanks for the compliments, though there are many other tanks that are better than mine. I'm happy you got some inspiration from my attempts and I was able to repay the favor so many others have given me here.

The main reason I went with the vally 'scape was because of the surface skimmer on the AC. A nice pile of rocks hides it very well. If you want to do a valley 'scape with your tank go right ahead, I don't hold any patents on it. :)

20g Update: I'm just waiting on the sump to be built. A local reefer kindly offered to put the pieces together since I have no experience with acrylic. When that's done we'll be up and running! With things almost together I'm getting really impatient. I'm tired of watching water and want to get some rock and sand in there.

Best,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get a piece of that same Red Milli that OxInYourBox has.

100_1551.jpg

Closeup of Pierre and his favorite bistro, Chez Monti. The Montipora is 4 inches across for a little reference.

100_1553.jpg

The best of a series of crappy pictures of the newest piscine inhabitant of the tank, now with improved jump-guards. While not the biggest fan of Clownfish, I've always liked True Percula's with a lot of black in them. I think I'm going to call this one Baldy, if my wife can't come up with a better name.

100_1561.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Phil

What do you attribute your coralline growth to? The aragamilk? Have you added any different types of calcium since the beginning regiment?

NICE tank!

BKtomodachi,

I attribute it to the AragaMilk. For whatever reason it does a great job in promoting growth if nice pink and light purple corallines. I add 3-5 drops of AragaMilk with my Kalk topoff and a Turbo-Calcium every once in a while. The really nice smooth purple and bluish corallines were on the rock when I got it. "My" stuff tends to be more light purple to bright pink with some nice dark red thrown in for good measure.

I can't tell you what my levels are because I don't test, sorry. I keep a close watch on the corals and if they're doing well then I'm doing things right. If they look even the least bit ####ed, then I know I need to do something differently. Right now they're all coloring up well and the growth is plain to see.

Best,

Phil

smokez01,

Thanks man. I'm still waiting on the sump to be finished. The guy who's making it for me said it should be done this weekend. He's not a business, just a guy who does it through the local reef club who was kind enough to take this on. Enforced patience is a good thing. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived