circulation positions

mariposa11

mineralrock

dudes dudes dudes! everyone has their own beliefs in this business. and thats what's beautiful! Obviously certain specimens have different requirements than others. The fact is that flow in general is definitely necessary to any invertebrates well being. You want to recreate their environment as much as possible and sometimes you can overmanipulate and get better results. For instance, zoo's don't need more than 3/4 watts per gal....but higher lighting holds the possibility of more growth and vitality.

mariposa...FAC and nalbar are both completely right. They have discovered their own methods and you should take both of their advisories with a grain of salt, but it's up to you to find what method works best for you. Your plan sounds like a great start to me....just see where it takes you.

temperature is something that most people can agree on however....80 is where you want it to be....somedays the water in the reefs of the world will be hotter but obviously in the aquarium there will be different consequences. You can lower the air temperature around the tank with a simple window fan or what have you. But hey...83 might work for you ;-)

I think part of that "you have to attitude" is trying to save people some cash, sometimes. A lot of reefers, myself included, tried getting into the hobby "on the cheap". Sure..I had what was and is by most standards, a gorgeous tank full of softies. And then I looked at it one day and hated it..lol. I HAD TO HAVE clams and SPS. And so then I had to go out and upgrade damn near everything..lol. Sure..you can keep a tank simple..the problem lies in the nearly inevitable problem of wanting to keep more and more exotic/beautiful organisms. I have a bit of respect for those people who can look at a tank full of softies and see beauty..unfortunately, I'm not one of them anymore. I've become the reefer I never thought I would...the SPS keeper..lol. What good are "fuzzy twigs" anyway, eh? lol And sometimes you do lose touch, I see and hear about tank running a HOB and one powerhead and forget that its possible to keep some things under those conditions...because my mind automatically thinks "not enough flow". People talk about DIY'ing 2X13w systems and I think "what for? thats not enough light for anything..."...lol. We all gear our heads for one type (our type) of reefkeeping.

Cheers,

Fred

oh absolutely FAC! i also learned the hard way. while i always say 'you can have a low light reef', ALL my tanks have metal halide. and if you read my posts if someone asks what light i rarely say 'pc'. but it is for strictly practical reasons, not 'need' reasons. who wants to upgrade later? and waste all that pc money? metal halide is not that much more than lots of pc's, if you are building a tank you just as well go once.

but i am an old man with full pockets. many here are youngsters on budgets.

me? sps just dont do it for me. simple softies for me, in all my tanks. and here i have all that light. although i have been staring at the clams at clams direct at LOT lately! and they allow local pick ups! and will soon have a store!

nalbar

Clams are gorgeous little critters, even the "drabber" ones, like hippopus. I bought one that was looking a little sad at the LFS and it perked right up (irridescent purples and greens)...still more "drab" than a Maxima or Derasa...but pretty in its own way. Plus they're about the ultimate in "natural filtration"..lol.

And go out and pick up a little Montipora frag while you're at it..."fuzzy twigs" can be fun too..lol

Cheers,

Fred

n/m

My post didn't matter as I took too long to write it.

I too have FAC_WNY's problem of one powerhead and a HOB and my mind automatically goes "not enough flow."

I see "don't dose anything, just do water changes" and I think to myself that if my ph drops down to 8, my sps get pissed and close up. another reason why I bought a 250 dollar dosing pump and have a 44 gallon trash can loaded with modified Kalkwasser.

So yes, when I see 10x flow being more than enough, I think to myself- hell, my 52x flow isn't enough (atleast not for the previously prescribed 3.5-6 inches a second)

So excuse me, as I go buy some eductors.

I actually looked into eductors, but most require a pressure-rated pump to operate (they need between 10 and 15 psi of backpressure)..and the mags definately aren't pressure rated. If you get them to work, lemme know..lol If someone can put a Tunze Stream into a 15, I should be able to run some eductors, damnit..lol

Cheers,

Fred

I don't wanna be a sh*t, but I read your stuff and have to tell you that I lean towards nalbar's general argument... abit lol since he mentioned the MH + clams issue.

b/c I have a beautiful t. maxima in my nano (no, not an ultra, too $$ for now) with 88 watts of pc. I did lots of research and keep my water impeccable and bowl feed. I have to say that my clam is very healthy and happy.

Now someone will chime in and say "but it would be better with MH", lol maybe it would, maybe it would.

PS I have my PH set up the same way but one is an AQ 201 and one a mini-jet 606. Very happy with that setup. So just in my experience, I would say that's a good set up you have going.

Good luck and I hope I didn't start something flameable,

Chris

Its all just a question of methodologies...I enjoy keeping clams, SPS, and other "hard to keep organisms" (nothing is "hard" if you do your research and ask good questions), so I believe firmly in the power of high light, high flow, barebottomed tanks, heavy protein skimming, and light stocking levels. (As well as heavy feeding of LIVE planktonic foods, which is where a good skimmer comes in) Sometimes I can feel this can be a "wasteful" methodology (extra light and extra flow eat up extra electricity, heavy plankton feeding that gets pulled out quickly through efficient skimming is wasting food), but there are so many things that we as aquarists can't accurately recreate in our closed systems that "overdoing" it seems almost impossible with some species. As nalbar said, there's a difference between "more than enough" and "too much". I like to be a bit cautious and err on the side of "more than enough". Others have their own ways...it call comes down to what works for you.

Cheers,

Fred

while it may cause a LOT of flow, the tunze stream is pretty freaking ugly! its like plopping down a turbo-jet engine in your tank. i know a lfs that keeps 2 in their pair of 600+ tanks. god they look terrible but at least in an eight foot long tank (or whatever they are) they look small. in anything five foot or under, no way!

its just so interesting to me how peeps want to keep such wonderful, natural animals and make their tanks look so .....mechanical. 2 PH's in a nano? sorry to tell you, but it just looks silly. once again, to me its people trying to fit large tank 'schemes' into a nano life. why bother with a nano if the first think you notice is a machine?

xcajx? i used clams as an example. maybe a poor one. no arguement intended.

nalbar

Streams are a big "ugly"..but man..have you ever put your hand in front of one? They don't feel "sharp" (poor descriptive term) like a powerhead, but they move a MASSIVE volume of water. I think they're one of the most accurate replicators of water motion at depth that we have at our disposals. On the other hand, they also cost $300..lol. And they have to go into the tank..you can't stash them somewhere (as in my setup, where the only "mechanical" looking things will be a couple of pieces of Loc-Line.) The one design that I saw that incorporated a Stream in a nano actually did a decent job of "hiding" the Stream. (It was to be mounted in an internal overflow, the only part you'd see is the nozzle end). But I agree wholeheartedly with nalbar, I hate the very "mechanical" looking reefs...which is why I'm such a firm believer in running a sump. You put everything down there, and then you plumb the return(s) through the back wall of the tank and you can hide most of the plumbing work that actually ends up in the tank behind some rock. We all need to find our happy mediums, and we all need to be happy with the "final results", or we don't keep up on the tank. (Which is what happened to me with my first nano full of softies..it just didn't "look good" to me anymore..so I became the dreaded "SPS Keeper"..lol)

Cheers,

Fred

mariposa11, to answer your original question, I have a nanocube and I replaced the original ph with a minijet 404 to blow out the right side. I also placed a minijet 606 in the back sump which blows out of a bulkhead/nozzle that I installed and placed just to the right of the overflow. The nozzle is pointed to the front glass, slightly angling left. So it's pretty much set up like how you want to do yours. And my corals are doing fine (I have leathers, LPS, mushrooms, zoos, and other softies).

Originally posted by xcajx

b/c I have a beautiful t. maxima in my nano (no, not an ultra, too $$ for now) with 88 watts of pc. I did lots of research and keep my water impeccable and bowl feed. I have to say that my clam is very healthy and happy.

xcajx, I also have 88 watt of pc, and am interested in a clam, although I have read many suggestions of MH. I just wanted to find out where you place your clam. Is it up high in the tank to receive more lighting? Or is it doing fine at the bottom?

It is fine on the sandbed. The baby I have is up high on the rockwork. Keep in mund they attach themselves to rock or glass etc. I have the baby in a 1/2 clamshell it attached to so i can easily move it.

The fat one lies on the sand and can't really attach to it.

Go for the darker colors IMO, I have been told they require less light than the ultras and blazing croceas.

HTH

Chris

I have a 7g bow with an ac500. I have 2 404's on full with a t fitting that directs 50% towards the front then 50% towards the center angled right above the LR. From the hair algae it looks like the flow is varied a decent amount

Archived