Cultivated Reef

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

Christopher Marks

Looking good! I just noticed the GSP creeping up the back panel, is it sending out long shoots vs growing in a wide mat? That's an interesting variety!

We have a great new way to share photos from Flickr on our new site, you can now just paste the 'Share' link into the editor instead of needing the full BBCode. You'll see your image automatically embed itself into the post editor before you even submit your post. It's pretty slick :) 

Flickr Share.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Feels like a while since i posted but there really isn't a lot to say. Things are looking good.  Growing well.  I should get some pictures for you but im lazy this week and have been really busy ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to get pics of this tank. It is looking really good!  Just did a water change and all so things are angry.  

On a sadder note the 10g is just taking a lot of work to keep parameters in order and has drained all the fun out of  reefing.  Im seriously considering selling off both tanks and saving the money for when i have a permanent residence and can get something bigger... 

I really am torn.  I love my tanks and fish, but smaller tanks are much more work.

Aw bummer!  If the 10g has become too stressful, why not consider saving or fragging your favorite pieces from it, putting them in the 4g, and take down the 10g?  Then give it a month or two and see if the 4g still feels like too much work.  I believe Natalia set up her reef bowl at a time when she was ready to quit because her bigger tanks had become not-fun and were sucking the joy out of reefing.  Now it's her only salt tank and she is really enjoying it!

The upside to little tanks is they are super easy to move. ;) I've found my little 2.3 to be simple and easy to maintain so far, with just a big water change once or twice a week and a little topoff every day or two. A light, airline with air pump, and heater is the extent of my equipment (with the soap dish frag rack on occasion). :)

That is just absolutely beautiful. 

I particularly love the Clove polyps and the LPS coral with the neon green edges and vivid purple/blackish centers. 

Also, I like Lula's suggestion. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the kind words it really does mean a lot to me.  Ive talked to the wife and we have decided to shut down both tanks.  Everything will be for sale shortly.  If you want certain things PM me before id love to sell them to people that followed this tank and watched it grow.  

• Like 1

4g

Rainbow Acan 2 heads- 40

red green acan 10 heads-40

UFO micromussa more than 10 heads- 40

Green goblin Acan 3 heads -35

Green spartan leptoseris- 25

Rainbow Ricordia(Orange with green center and outer lining) - 20

Green Ricordia 2 heads Giant - 30

Blue Ricordia -20

Orange ricrodia 2 heads buy both for 30 or one for 20

wintergreen pipe organ -25

rainbow zoas purple rim green center 5 polyps - 20

mix zoas green and eagle eye 2 polpys of each - 10

mix zoas green and eagle eye 2 green one eagle eye 10

Halle Berries zoa 2 polyps - 10

Grey Matters zoa 6 polyps - 20

Midnight princess Favities 13 heads -35

solar fusion zoas 8 polyps - 50

Random small stylophora frag - 5

Fire and ice chunk of 10 or more- 20 or whole rock for 40 might get a Sunny D in there they swallowed that colony.

7 Rastas polyps - 35

Fiji hypercolors  20+ polyps -40

Fruit loop 10 polyps - 50

Gsp - 10

Firefish 10 never shipped a fish not sure i want to try either..

I will post this in the market place in a week or so updated.   The list of the 10g tank is on that thread.  PM with requests, picture upon request or you can find them all on the thread ;)
Again thanks everyone.

O no, I was so sad to hear that you are shutting things down.  Bummer!  I understand though.  You will enter a season of life where a bigger tank will happen.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Started the great sell off.... Had some nice couples come and get some things.  Had to break some rocks apart.. Sad things is the tank still looks happy and great.  Even full... its like you wouldn't have known..

20170409_142239

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Just looked back through this thread... so many memories... so much fun.  I really did love this tank.  I hope everyone that bought corals from it are enjoying them as much as i did :(

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, drgibby said:

Just looked back through this thread... so many memories... so much fun.  I really did love this tank.  I hope everyone that bought corals from it are enjoying them as much as i did :(

:tears:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, drgibby said:

I certainly am, for one! Although the katropora is still stubbornly staying green in my 40g tank :wacko:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I certainly am, for one! Although the katropora is still stubbornly staying green in my 40g tank :wacko:

As long as its alive im sure you will help it regain its normal color.  It started to turn in my 10g.  I was wondering if it was nutrients or lights.  I couldn't find out anything wrong with the nutrients so my next plan was to upgrade tanks and get a Nanobox hybrid ;).  That sounds like a practical Reefing solution lol

• Like 1
9 hours ago, drgibby said:

The little pipe organ frag you cut for me is growing, and the purple and green ric finally split in two!  The orange rainbow doesn't love its spot in the 5.5 so I'll find a better spot for it eventually.  The GSP is still kicking and pretty, and the blue ricordea is trucking along. :)  Hope you'll be able to get back into the hobby sooner than later!

14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The little pipe organ frag you cut for me is growing, and the purple and green ric finally split in two!  The orange rainbow doesn't love its spot in the 5.5 so I'll find a better spot for it eventually.  The GSP is still kicking and pretty, and the blue ricordea is trucking along. :)  Hope you'll be able to get back into the hobby sooner than later!

I really do enjoy hearing the frags are growing well and prospering.  Im glad your loving them all and caring for them as much as i would. :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, drgibby said:

I really do enjoy hearing the frags are growing well and prospering.  Im glad your loving them all and caring for them as much as i would. :)

I forgot to add that the purple and green ric is currently playing host to Valerie, the porcelain crab.  She hangs out on the rock thing it's on and just hangs out waving her fans.  It's her favorite spot! :happy: