Pod Your Reef

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

Things are going great Dave! your lights work great and things are going really well right now. I love how my corals pop! To finish up the update here is the last one it finally opened up and im pretty sure its my new favorite!

26361379661_76bf1eec89_c.jpg20160414_080846 by drgibby, on Flickr

When i say Daves lights work check out that zoa the colors are great!

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

Things are going great Dave! your lights work great and things are going really well right now. I love how my corals pop! To finish up the update here is the last one it finally opened up and im pretty sure its my new favorite!

26361379661_76bf1eec89_c.jpg20160414_080846 by drgibby, on Flickr

When i say Daves lights work check out that zoa the colors are great!

Yes, need a frag of this...

• Like 1

Yes, need a frag of this...

It makes me smile every time I see it in the tank...I hope it grows well and quick. I'd love to cut you one

• Like 2

So apparently every crab and snail i have are attracted to the zombie eye zoas. They just wont stay on the rock and keep getting knocked off. I have never had this issue. If i knew they would like there home i would mount them but they wont stay in one place long enough to open. They are most likely stressed. Where is a good place to mount them. low light high light? Low flow? High flow?

Also the rainbow ricordias centers are starting to become translucent? Ill add some photos later. Is this a bad thing? are they upset?

]25943124114_e0167b5454.jpg26548098405_3197ca45d3.jpg

Just a little to add today First off the reef looks very happy and it makes me smile. You can see the new addition of the 2 firefish they are out and about just loving life and the new smiz top. It helps protect them from this...26560363685_b0f428ed87.jpg25957490143_e96b2c81f2.jpg

There was also a vender doing a 5$ zoa sale so i picked a couple up. This one made it into this tank. I really like it a lot adds some nice color to the tank.

26468101182_98544bfde7.jpg

• Like 1

FTS 4/27 just finished a water change so some things are a little made. also moved some stuff around for a new arrival tomorrow.

26615152721_caa1bcd219_z.jpg

• Like 2

So I'm really excited to share these new frags I'm going to let them color up a bit more and share next week. They look amazing right now I'm so happy

• Like 2
FlamingPrawn

So i was going to post photos this morning but flickr is down.... guess you have to wait longer :(

this is why you use imgur ;)

• Like 2

Its working now... here we go

UFO micromussa My favorite!

26502424660_9dd240a937.jpg26707951291_9e72cf75de.jpg

Spartan Leptoseris

26169631814_ca45741d66.jpg

Wintergreen pipe organ

26169672714_cb325e55db.jpg

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

Its working now... here we go

UFO micromussa My favorite!

26502424660_9dd240a937.jpg26707951291_9e72cf75de.jpg

Spartan Leptoseris

26169631814_ca45741d66.jpg

Wintergreen pipe organ

26169672714_cb325e55db.jpg

I'm glad your pipe organ's opened up so quick! I think i'm going to pick up some of the white ones for my 4 to contrast against the GSP

• Like 1

I know it hasn't been a month before the new FTS but here one is to show the addition of all the new frags.

This is right after the water change some things are still ticked off but its still pretty to me :wub:

26750280331_3035b604b2_z.jpg20160504_100844 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 1

Looks great, but I only see one firefish in that last pic. Not lost I hope!

both are still alive :D:P other one is hiding in her cave. Im so happy that the fishy problem is better. B)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I know it hasn't been a month before the new FTS but here one is to show the addition of all the new frags.

This is right after the water change some things are still ticked off but its still pretty to me :wub:

26750280331_3035b604b2_z.jpg20160504_100844 by drgibby, on Flickr

Wow!! Love this. 4 gallons of water, yet endless possibilities. NanoBox too :wub:

• Like 1

So my fruit loops were great on 4/27 and ok 3 days ago but since then they and the Rastas haven't opened up. This is strange cuz I haven't really changed anything and everything else is happy. 2 nights ago I thought I saw something run and hide in the gsp so I did a dip with it and this 2 inch long bristle worm came crawling out and freaked me out. A smaller one also was in it. I'm not sure if that has been irritating them or not.

I did a parameter check of nh3, phosphate, calcium and kh and the calcium was the only thing low. It was around 360.

At what point do you start dosing?

Also any ideas as to what has irritated those 2 Zoas?

Maybe i should retitle the thread to owner impatience. I was sitting around watching the zoas and 2 of the three rasta polyps have opened up. The Fruit loops are still angry and not opening so ill just wait and be patient instead of chasing some parameter that all seem to be ok.

I am still wondering about dosing calcium because it is something i feel will need to be done in the future. Thoughts? Brands? What do people use?

Also could a brittle starfish bother/ eat the zoas?

• Like 1

Maybe i should retitle the thread to owner impatience. I was sitting around watching the zoas and 2 of the three rasta polyps have opened up. The Fruit loops are still angry and not opening so ill just wait and be patient instead of chasing some parameter that all seem to be ok.

I am still wondering about dosing calcium because it is something i feel will need to be done in the future. Thoughts? Brands? What do people use?

Also could a brittle starfish bother/ eat the zoas?

I'm glad things are going better. Zoas are very mysterious, between my two display tanks and the frag tank. there's always at least one tank where they aren't doing well even though the parameters are basically the same in all three tanks.

They definitely can be bothered by inverts crawling over them, although usually that's a temporary condition.

As far as calcium goes, you really need to pay attention if you've got a lot of stony corals growing, like montis, or if you are trying to keep really finicky corals like acros. You'll know if you need to dose because calcium will go down steadily, and your alk will go down significantly every day (like .5 or more). 360 is lower than ideal, but I don't know what the calcium level of your new saltware is, so it's hard to say how much it's been depleted.

If you do dose, use a good two-part and dose both parts, at different times of the day. Don't just dose one because it will affect the level of the other element and you'll be constantly chasing parameters.

I use Seachem Fusion 1 & 2, and Aqua Vitro Ions for magnesium. But there's nothing magic about what I chose, it's just what they had at the LFS when I started dosing and I've never had a reason to change.