ReefCleaners.org

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

I'm sorry about Wesley! Firefish are notorious for jumping at the slightest excuse through the smallest gaps in the lid. Even without gaps they seem to just lie in wait for someone to remove the lid for tank maintenance so that they can commit suicide. But you will love the Smiz top, and will definitely help!

I love the new zoas and rics, they look great! Reef roids are great for them. You can feed mysis to you favia. And the rics will eat mysis to, especially once they get big.

• Like 2

I'm sorry about Wesley! Firefish are notorious for jumping at the slightest excuse through the smallest gaps in the lid. Even without gaps they seem to just lie in wait for someone to remove the lid for tank maintenance so that they can commit suicide. But you will love the Smiz top, and will definitely help!

I love the new zoas and rics, they look great! Reef roids are great for them. You can feed mysis to you favia. And the rics will eat mysis to, especially once they get big.

Yea im sad about Wesley to but as my wife said even in the movie he "died" as well. Once the top comes she says we will replace him and he will be named The dread pirate roberts. A little long of a name for my taste but oh well. All the corals look to be doing well. Rasta is starting to grow 2 new smaller polyps and the Fruit Loops have grown considerably bigger. The Favia im not sure what to think of him hes just still there one of the polyps is shriveling up but i was expecting that as he was a fresh cut.

No picture today but i promise i will get some eventually

• Like 1
jamescstein

Once the top comes she says we will replace him and he will be named The dread pirate roberts.

Of course. No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Westley.

• Like 3

Quick picture update. The Rastas are throwing off new polyps which are so tiny and cute.

25016388744_2e1f574285.jpg2016-03-09 08.24.28 by drgibby, on Flickr

The Fruit loops have gotten considerably bigger and are coloring up very nicely.

25554177951_86ee76e04f.jpg2016-03-09 08.23.42 by drgibby, on Flickr

25620719476_808f224619.jpg2016-03-09 08.24.22 by drgibby, on Flickr

and the Armageddons are plump and so vibrant!

25620701876_5da3907f81.jpg2016-03-09 08.24.32 by drgibby, on Flickr

Enjoy for now.. i really want a camera now.. i feel i could get so much better pictures then with my cell phone

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

Good to see everything opened back up :) Lucky duck... still letting mine go through the motions here... Might go pick up an Anemone crab or some sexy shrimp to toss them into my 4 to get some more bioload in.

• Like 1

I forgot to add a full tank shot 3/9/16 after all the rescaping

25351838220_b7b2c507ce_b.jpg2016-03-09 08.23.28 by drgibby, on Flickr

What settings do people put there nanobox on for picture taking? I have just been doing with whatever it is on but i want to get better pictures out of it.

• Like 2

Everything is doing great. Corals are all happy. I think im going to add a blue leg hermit for some algae control as the rasta plug is just waving with algae and covering all the pretty corals. I currently use reef roids to feed the corals but have been hearing lots about polyp booster. wondering if i should add that to the routine.

• Like 1

How many new heads does everything have?

The Rasta has 3 new heads.... the fruit loops might be getting another one but have plumped up considerably since you last saw them they are much bigger. I Think the Armageddons are the same 6 polyps but i could be wrong. Not much growth on the Midnight princess i still can't tell if its alive or how its doing. The Ric is awesome so plump and just fluffy everywhere!

Edit: I lied there are 3 new polyps on the Armageddons so were up to 9

Love the scape. How's the skimmer working out?

Skimmer works great. The quality that mame makes is fantastic. I do wish though that they would get more airstones in stock.

FlamingPrawn

The Rasta has 3 new heads.... the fruit loops might be getting another one but have plumped up considerably since you last saw them they are much bigger. I Think the Armageddons are the same 6 polyps but i could be wrong. Not much growth on the Midnight princess i still can't tell if its alive or how its doing. The Ric is awesome so plump and just fluffy everywhere!

As long as the princess still has the dark purple & green w/ tentacles you're good

Ok i decided i would be adventurous last night and wanted to see if i could cut the rics rock down and mount it on the actually rocks. it went well but when i cut the rock it seemed to crumble and luckily i was left with 2 rics so i grabbed some putty and mounted them both. Im very happy with my mistake

25812975736_5a50360e9f.jpg20160316_104754 by drgibby, on Flickr

I also decided to peal the fruit loops off the plug and plop them on the rocks. that one was much easier. i affixed it with some glue to the putty and then the putty and glue to the rocks and Tada

25718023932_bbc46cf53b.jpg20160316_104748 by drgibby, on Flickr

Next was the Rasta plug its growing crazy algae right now but both frags of it have baby polyps i think im going to end up gutting it in half and putting a frag in the 10g as well just because i really love the rastas. Sorry for the bad pic

25839018785_980c0c80c6.jpg20160316_104801 by drgibby, on Flickr

Since its been a while heres todays FTS: 3/16/2016

25718041562_9d8e35bf87_b.jpg20160316_125303 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 2

So with Spring and summer coming up im trying to figure out what to do with vacations. How do people take care of there tanks when gone. Water wise it should be fine but im worried about feeding the fish. i have to leave the screen tops on so im not sure automatic feeders would work. Ideas? thoughts? Suggestions? and yes i have a friend willing to do it just trying to find a way not to need someone.

• Like 1

I use an Eheim autofeeder with different sized foods inside. It can be programmed to feed 4 times a day and I let the food drop into a feeding ring so it doesn't go into the overflow.

The fish will be just fine with a little food, it's better to feed less than to have the feeder dump too much and you come home to algae.

• Like 1

So im feeling mixed emotions about this tank. Dont get me wrong I love this tank but my cats love its inhabitants just as much if not more. I cannot wait for Smiz to make his top and hopefully ease my worry about my cats going fishing. I keep coming back to the lid knocked off and water everywhere. My poor fish is stressed to no end. My solutions require me to get a smaller stand where they can't get up on or get a giant tank and consolidate the 2. I dont think option 2 is affordable at this point in time. For now i have put down contact paper to deter them from getting up there but i feel they will figure that out soon enough.

In some good news I have some new frags from a Mr. Teenyreef. They are fantastic and im so happy to have a piece of his ocean in my ocean.

25863924292_d07133725c_c.jpg20160319_114021 by drgibby, on Flickr

25352001114_7bbc750c0a_c.jpg20160319_114009 by drgibby, on Flickr

25984710265_e93d66fe88_c.jpg20160319_114034 by drgibby, on Flickr

25356000253_96d92e2f57_c.jpg20160319_114041 by drgibby, on Flickr

only the first 2 are going in the 4g the rest are in the 10g.

• Like 1

Lookin' good! Give me 2-3 weeks and hopefully I'll catch up. Did he give you a name on the zoas?

No name on the zoas just green / bluish ones

• Like 1

Well its time for a new fish. Smiz top should be coming this week sometime. I hope everyone had a happy easter, as i was out of town i come back t this

26024525881_830bfdce55.jpgResized_20160327_123045 by drgibby, on Flickr

Turns out my cats had a very happy easter but it makes me very sad. The whole reason i wanted a reef tank was for this fish or a Mandarin. Mandarins require to much tank and food so i settled for the firefish. Im not sure if i will buy firefish again once the top comes in or find a fish that is less skitish and less likely to jump. Since ive only been doing this for a couple months what other brightly colorful fish can live in a 4g and be content.

Suggestions please! Happy Reefing!

• 2 weeks later...

Smiz's top arrived well packaged and safe. He was great with communication and ill just say im probably the most nervous person when ordering something. He made it specifically to my specifications which is why i had to improvise to plug the small hole behind it. The top fits great and looks even better. He made sure it was cat proof which is perfect because i have a small kitty problem. He is a little infatuated with the tanks. With this top i can now try my fish again should be IMPOSSIBLE for it to jump out.

26226484836_99a32f9923_c.jpg20160405_080837 by drgibby, on Flickr

more to come :ninja::ninja::ninja:

• Like 2

" With this top i can now try my fish again should be IMPOSSIBLE for it to jump out. "

Famous last words ;) Looks good!

I know right... i like to tempt fate :naughtydance::naughtydance:

• Like 1

No name on the zoas just green / bluish ones

Sorry I've been to busy to get on N-R lately! I got those zoas from the LFS, and they didn't have a name. They grow quickly in my 10G.

How have the new corals been doing since you put them in? It was nice to see the initial pics with everything looking happy :)

I know right... i like to tempt fate :naughtydance::naughtydance:

I know what you mean. Now your fish will be just sitting there, waiting for you to take off the top for tank maintenance, so that they can jump the moment you turn your back. Make sure you take role every time you put the top back on :lol:

The new top looks fantastic, btw!

Sorry I've been to busy to get on N-R lately! I got those zoas from the LFS, and they didn't have a name. They grow quickly in my 10G.

How have the new corals been doing since you put them in? It was nice to see the initial pics with everything looking happy :)

I know what you mean. Now your fish will be just sitting there, waiting for you to take off the top for tank maintenance, so that they can jump the moment you turn your back. Make sure you take role every time you put the top back on :lol:

The new top looks fantastic, btw!

The corals are still doing well. The bottom side of the stylophora is turning white from not getting light because of the way its bent and placed but the top side is thriving and looking nice. The monti is about the same just sitting there not growing and not dying. Those zoas have already grown onto the rock they spread fast.

Edit for pictures. Here you go Teeny everything is looking good.

25807653993_9197d554b0_c.jpg20160413_095505 by drgibby, on Flickr

26318066712_54da312d1c_c.jpg20160413_095525 by drgibby, on Flickr

25807660813_4bfe8e2c3a_c.jpg20160413_095517 by drgibby, on Flickr

• Like 1