Cultivated Reef

Can I turn chamber 1 of a 29BC into a fuge?

Oneslowsaleen

As the title says. Can I turn chamber 1 into a fuge by removing the black tape on the back and put a LED light to light it up? I bought a Intank fuge , but I'm running a tunze 9001 and Intank media basket.

Should be fine. The only disadvantage is the pods would have to get past the skimmer before amercing it to the display. I'm sure there's enough flow to achieve that. You might want to put floss before the chaeto to help keep it clean.

A refugium that small isn't going to have significant nutrient export. It might house some pods though

I disagree but that's just my opinion ;-)

IMHO, a big ball of chaeto in there will do a lot for a little 29gal aquarium. You can also simply hang a fuge off the back and use the back area of the bio-cube for filtration.

I disagree but that's just my opinion ;-)

IMHO, a big ball of chaeto in there will do a lot for a little 29gal aquarium. You can also simply hang a fuge off the back and use the back area of the bio-cube for filtration.

A 3G hang on fuge would be awesome! It's just a small chamber doesn't do much in my experience, besides clog flow and get little bits in the display!
  • Like 1

Or how about chamber 3 where my pump is or should I just forget trying to put a fuge in ?

Chamber 1 is ok. 3 is bad - the chaeto would clog the pump up.

A refugium that small isn't going to have significant nutrient export. It might house some pods though

It may not do much but in my 34 the chaeto doubled in size in 2 -3 weeks so it was doing something. Anyway, like you say, a great place for pods!

Chamber 1 is ok. 3 is bad - the chaeto would clog the pump up.

It may not do much but in my 34 the chaeto doubled in size in 2 -3 weeks so it was doing something. Anyway, like you say, a great place for pods!

What lighting were you using? I still have a refugium basket, might consider it in the future if someone really had good growth.

I would worry about light leaking into the display tank when the main lights are off. Some corals may not "sleep". I have the intank fuge basket in the 2nd chamber of my biocube and it works great for me. Cheeto is growing really well. I have the aquatic life protein skimmer in chamber 1. Post your results!

Chamber 1 I just don't feel like pods would make into tank past media basket, and protein skimmer after gti said something. maybe I'll look into a hang on .

And that was another worry was light leaking through .

What lighting were you using? I still have a refugium basket, might consider it in the future if someone really had good growth.

JBJ Nano-Glo

Chamber 1 I just don't feel like pods would make into tank past media basket, and protein skimmer after gti said something. maybe I'll look into a hang on .

And that was another worry was light leaking through .

Sorry - didn't want to put you off. The cheato ball would be a great refuge for pods but they'll colonise all of your surfaces to some extent.

If you scrape the paint/peel the plastic on the back of the tank and use a small light attached to the back glass e.g. Nano Glo or if you use the InTank submersible fuge light, light bleed will be almost nothing.

Oneslowsaleen

Well I decided to try it out . We scraped the paint off and used plastic dip to repaint didn't come out the best but it'll get the job done than cut out a square for the nano LED light. Now all I need is some macro, my LFS was out.

post-88869-0-52381300-1443715290_thumb.jpeg

post-88869-0-44356800-1443715304_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Oneslowsaleen

Well here is what I did seem to be working well. I cut down the Intank fuge with a Dremel, did best I could with my non functioning hands and stuck it in chamber 1

post-88869-0-09615600-1445221365_thumb.jpeg

post-88869-0-45005300-1445221378_thumb.jpeg

• 3 years later...
On 10/18/2015 at 10:23 PM, Oneslowsaleen said:

Well here is what I did seem to be working well. I cut down the Intank fuge with a Dremel, did best I could with my non functioning hands and stuck it in chamber 1

post-88869-0-09615600-1445221365_thumb.jpeg

post-88869-0-45005300-1445221378_thumb.jpeg

Hello I know this is an older post. But I was wondering the same thing. How did chamber 1 work with the refugium?