Cultivated Reef

Can I keep SPS in my nano reef? Yes I can! *Photos*

KevinM

• 3 months later...

An update on the reef.

I was given a 33g cube with sump from my dad and originally was going to transfer my pico to the cube. However after running the cube I didn't feel very comfortable running a sump in an apartment, especially as I often go away for periods at a time. I didn't want to leave the chance of a clogged return to my fiance. For now that cube will stay in storage until we move to a house.

As I likely will be away for long periods this summer I got some new equipment to make the pico less likely to suffer from a crash and make the maintenance easier. I replaced the koralia nano with a Jebao sw-4. I purchased a Jebao 4 auto doser, a Tunze nano ATO and a stylish cabinet to hide the equipment. I strategically purchased equipment that will be used on the cube in the future. I also debated getting a Radion XR15 G4 or Hydra 26 HD and dimming it way down to later use on the new cube - however I think I'll wait as my chinese LEDs are pretty sweet.

Recently my 50W Marineland Visi Therm heater stopped working and I replaced it with a 50 watt Cobalt Accu-therm. Marineland is sending me a free heater in return though, which is fair.

I removed a lot of the small rocks from the tank and replaced them with some dry rock that I cycled for 5 weeks. This did cause a small cycle and I'm experiencing small amounts of diatoms. I also attempted to place my crocea clam on the rocks (as they apparently prefer rocks). After placing him on the rocks (2" from sand bed) he did not open for two weeks, within hours of placing him back on the sand he is back to his old self.

32667959636_bcacf1f812_k.jpgpico stand by Kevin McRae, on Flickr

32708273455_092c44d7bd_k.jpgsharknose goby by Kevin McRae, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

Update of the tank - I ended up ordering a Radion XR15 Pro Gen 4! Within a week new SPS frags have begun encrusting.

Started a new job that takes me away from home every few weeks so hopefully the tank does well.  

32915301833_a40cd2196d_k.jpgreef by Kevin McRae, on Flickr

Archived