Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

** Fluval M Series, M is for Media Basket? **

inTank

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry:

Give him time...given the flow challenges this tank presents, if he takes his time and comes up with a basket that can help somewhat, it will be worth the wait.

• 1 month later...

First: Anyone with an M90 tank and is willing to send me a few easy dimensions let me know

OK. M40 and M60 baskets are nearing completion. Did a first wet test on the M40 basket and found out a few things about the tank. The water level is higher than most coming into the intake so a water director piece is pointless and not needed. Cool. The basket stays put very nicely against the tank's wall, and if bumped gets pulled right back to it.

Minor changed needed on the M40 and it's ready for production.

We are hoping that the M60 and M90 basket can be the same, dims online suggest they can. Fluval is installing the first baffle the other way around now, which will fix their stupidity. So the basket will fix the tanks before this change or still work just fine in the newer versions.

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

Not needed:

IMG_8223.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

IMG_8219.jpg

Looks great, hurry up and take my money!

It figures Fluval would start flipping the baffles 2 months after I get the tank. At least the basket looks solid, no way for the water to go anywhere but down.

• 4 weeks later...

December 11th update:

Both media baskets were put on the production list. No exact lead time on when that would be completed as the list always has part numbers on it.

We are toying around the idea of a surface skimmer, we have heard from one future customer that it is needed after looking at the tanks today there seems to be too much flow through the intake grates and one will be needed.

Steve I completely forgot about sending you a message about these great media baskets after I spoke with you in Chicago! I have the M90 and I'd love to have something that will fix it's issues. Like I said before, I got one prior to them becoming available for purchase so my baffle is the really messed up one (which I hope to fix before I set it up). I might be able to convince my brother to take measurements of mine if you are still in need of them.

Steve I completely forgot about sending you a message about these great media baskets after I spoke with you in Chicago! I have the M90 and I'd love to have something that will fix it's issues. Like I said before, I got one prior to them becoming available for purchase so my baffle is the really messed up one (which I hope to fix before I set it up). I might be able to convince my brother to take measurements of mine if you are still in need of them.

Thanks but not needed. We got the dims from the show and also from a future customer. The basket is tailored for the M90 but will also work on the 60.

It will also fix the baffle issue in your tank so if you don't want to flip it over, you won't have to.

Thanks but not needed. We got the dims from the show and also from a future customer. The basket is tailored for the M90 but will also work on the 60.

It will also fix the baffle issue in your tank so if you don't want to flip it over, you won't have to.

You guys are awesome! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So does the media basket sit in the chamber that the skimmer is supposed to sit in? I would like to be able to use it in the 3rd chamber of an M90 so that way the flow would be down, up, down, up across the back.

And I agree a surface skimmer is needed. I tried a Nanocube skimmer but it doesn't hold against the wall and floats away.

So does the media basket sit in the chamber that the skimmer is supposed to sit in? I would like to be able to use it in the 3rd chamber of an M90 so that way the flow would be down, up, down, up across the back.

And I agree a surface skimmer is needed. I tried a Nanocube skimmer but it doesn't hold against the wall and floats away.

It installs in the intake chamber, where you want a media basket so that water hits filter floss first, keeping the rear chambers clean.

A skimmer can install in another chamber.

You could try gluing or siliconing on the surface skimmer.

Update: We are getting closer to these baskets hitting their spot on the production list. We had to move things in front as it is the busy season and current product takes priority.

We are still looking at ideas for a surface skimmer, playing around with a few ideas it's not as straight forward as with the Fluval Spec.

Update. Here is what we are working on for the surface skimmer, and it works really well !

The final product will be black and will fit all M series aquariums as well as basically anything else with a false wall without too much molding.

20160119_122047.jpg

20160119_122107.jpg

20160119_122113.jpg

Pic of some of the pieces for the M60/M90 units cut. M40 units have been cut and are about 3 products away from being built

20160119_131249.jpg

These look awesome! Are you considering having a bundle package that comes with both the media rack and surface skimmer?

Possibly. Depends on the cost of the surface skimmer. Sometimes it's better to keep the price point down on the basket alone with most customers.

Possibly. Depends on the cost of the surface skimmer. Sometimes it's better to keep the price point down on the basket alone with most customers.

Which I know I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate! Do you happen to know the price range of the M60 model for the basket?

Which I know I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate! Do you happen to know the price range of the M60 model for the basket?

Not yet. Once it's released it will be priced.

Edit: Reading comprehension fails me, should've read your whole post more carefully.

Steve,

Do you think the surface skimmer will fit other applications as well? I'm interested to see if it would fit a IM 30L, so I can raise the display water level. Is clear the only option?

Jeff

Edit: Reading comprehension fails me, should've read your whole post more carefully.

Steve,

Do you think the surface skimmer will fit other applications as well? I'm interested to see if it would fit a IM 30L, so I can raise the display water level. Is clear the only option?

Jeff

Yes! I tried (dry tank) it on the IM tanks and it should work nicely. It locks over the false wall and that piece is probably going to come loose so it can be adjusted for other tanks. Also once the pump is on it is held in place. The holding piece secures it further plus when you turn the pump off you don't have to go fishing.

Yes! I tried (dry tank) it on the IM tanks and it should work nicely. It locks over the false wall and that piece is probably going to come loose so it can be adjusted for other tanks. Also once the pump is on it is held in place. The holding piece secures it further plus when you turn the pump off you don't have to go fishing.

Sweet!!! Wen are you going to take my money?? I also pm'd you about Fluval Spec V.

Jeff

The surface skimmer was put on the production list yesterday.

I believe the M40 units are being built this week. The M60 will follow those and then the surface skimmer.

Gah! I need my M60 rack! Think we could expect within a week or two to be able to put an order in for those?

Expect it yes, but I can't guarantee anything until they are done

Archived