Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Looking forward to sharing another tank's journey with you guys!
-Christina
IMG_8485resized.jpg

Wow love your idea on the new tank! I've never thought about using macros in a display instead of in a sump.

Is that you in the photo? Petco should be paying you for modelling if this tank has a sudden increase in sales :)

• Like 1

On the one hand, I understand you're a starving college hippy.

On the other hand, that 96x36x18.

Decisions...

Lol, sorry, but not everyone wants an 96x36x18 :P

Looks like a neat little tank, following along :)

Thanks for following, I hope it will turn out nice :)

This tank is great, I've had it for about a week or so. Its home to emerald crabs, snails, and maybe some macros soonish. Very interested to see what you do with this tank. Following! :lol:

Cool! Nice to see someone else with this tank! Do you have a tank thread I can follow?

Glad there are other people who like 10-12k over 14k and up.

YESS *HIGH FIVE*

I've always preferred "whiter" tanks

Cute tank! Great photos too.

PS: I like this:

IMG_8485resized.jpg

Haha thanks, those are the yoshis I've collected over the years. The small blue one and the lighter green one are both from nano-reefers!

Cant wait to see you pico tank up and running. What will you Call it? Dorm-?..

Are you making you 2 tanks in to one? Or seling it all and buying new stuff? (I need to follow the clown).

My own pico is 1year soon do you know what to get it?

Do i get a new light or a sps coral or a realy rare st.thomas in red or maybe a 4.blastomussa(blue or?)

What do you get yours for birthdays(cant find the post in your thred) or is it just me that do stuff like that.

I don't know yet, I'll have to come up with a creative name. Any suggestions?

I'm adding livestock from two of my other tanks,

my 10g macro/gorg tank (current TOTM if you want to read more about it)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/245904-happy-5th-birthday-yoshiis-10g-macro-gorgonian-tank/

IMG_806922.jpg

and my 3g reef pico

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/240948-yoshiis-3-gallon-pico-reef/

IMG_6656resizedBDAY.jpg

I sometimes get birthday presents for my tanks, usually it's a new coral or maybe a new fish. It's a nice excuse to upgrade equipment or splurge a little on livestock ;)

San Diego is a great move. We have some awesome LFS here. And a good local forum with some great people. sdreefs.com If you need anything reach out. We have a tight reef community here and many people to help with anything you may need.

Who do you recommend? I've heard about AquaSD mostly.

Cool, I'll have to join soon! Thank you for sharing with me! :) I'm excited to meet a new reefing community

I'm very excited to see this little pico. we're all expecting something spectacular, no pressure :lol:

Haha I'll try my best! :D

Ohhhh this is super cute!

Now I want an itty bitty pico too!

giphy.gif

Wow love your idea on the new tank! I've never thought about using macros in a display instead of in a sump.

Is that you in the photo? Petco should be paying you for modelling if this tank has a sudden increase in sales

Thanks! You can check out the current TOTM to see my current macro display tank

Haha yeah that's me! I want to try to do another one when the tank has stuff in it...but we'll see how that goes :lol:

Nice! can't wait to see the tank set up pics!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too :)

Not a problem man,it happens. eBay some shit,you can find a more white 12k bulb. I have a feeling the par bulb from rapid will be just a planted tank bulb.. Which will just dull colors in retrospect.

I got mine at a LFS in the area, just call around and you'll find one. The arm is nice and solid too and won't bend and perfect for rimeless tanks. I was concerned about it only being 9W but again for a year my softies flurished and birdsnest as well. With the tank being that shallow and the light that close it is a champ!

Thanks for all the advice guys, and I have awesome news about the light! I'll going to give it it's own post since this post is getting way too long

• Like 7

San Diego is great. The shops here all kinda have there own niche I love AquaSD for high end corals. Aquatic Warehouse for fish and any supplies. Encinitas Tropical fish has a huge collection of LPS and gear. Shipwreck Cove for SPS. Reefers Garage is strange but strange in a good way, small shop run by a true hobbyist wholesale prices on everything. there are more but these are my favorites. The guys and couple gals on the local forum are awesome. You are gonna love it here. Plus there is the Scripps pier with free saltwater. The same water used at the Birch Aquarium.

I don't have a pico thread yet, but i have some pictures in my Fluval thread if you want to check them out. :D

Cool, I'll do that! If you do make a thread, post the link here!

San Diego is great. The shops here all kinda have there own niche I love AquaSD for high end corals. Aquatic Warehouse for fish and any supplies. Encinitas Tropical fish has a huge collection of LPS and gear. Shipwreck Cove for SPS. Reefers Garage is strange but strange in a good way, small shop run by a true hobbyist wholesale prices on everything. there are more but these are my favorites. The guys and couple gals on the local forum are awesome. You are gonna love it here. Plus there is the Scripps pier with free saltwater. The same water used at the Birch Aquarium.

Awesome! I passed by AquaSD when I visited earlier this year (but sadly didn't go in).

So unfortunately, I won't have a car :( But I just looked up the public-transportation way to AquaSD, and it looks like it would only take me around 50-60min to get there. Not tooo bad. And looks like Aquatic Warehouse is down the street!

I'll be studying at Scripps, so hey I'll be right there to snag free water! :happydance:

Wait, does he have some weird man pony tail thing going on? :wacko:

Haha it looks like he does! I'm not sure how I feel about it...but I'm leaning towards "no" :blink:

• Like 3

Supah stoked for this! I think softy/macro might just be my favorite type of reef :)

Plus I'm always visiting SD so if you ever have some extra macro clippings..

Yay! I hope it turns out cool :)

I'm getting saltwater today, and picking out rocks! I have one from my 55's sump I might use, but I still want to have another. I'll like to have 1 taller rock and 1 shorter rock

Where are you from?

Also, everytime I see your avatar, I always see it as part of a clam mantle, not a plant :lol:

OK guys, someone please find out where jbb_00 lives and give him a hug and thank you for me!! Cause he is the nicest person ever!

He's getting a new light for his pico, and is generous enough to give me his current AI Nano! :oomgomgomg

A million thank yous to you!! I will pay it forward in the future :flower:

ALSO, a big thank you to jedimasterben who offered me nano box strips!!

fish_thanks.jpg

• Like 7

cool new tank yoshii :)

i have a PAR38 Ledtric bulb if your're interested, it's like 14k. it's the one i use on my nanocube. i have another one i keep in storage.

cool new tank yoshii :)

i have a PAR38 Ledtric bulb if your're interested, it's like 14k. it's the one i use on my nanocube. i have another one i keep in storage.

Thanks Squared!

Thanks for offering, but you can see my previous post for the lighting situation :)

I cant seem to find this tank on petco's website. How much did it cost you? I might be interested in one of these little tanks.

It's not on their website. Apparently only some petcos carry them. It cost me $50 (plus $5 tax)

There's a member selling this tank and equipment with it in the classifies, here's the link

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363898-fs-37g-pico-starter-kit-with-par30-media-rack-sand-heater/

• Like 2

Thanks! I dont have time for another tank right now, but I'll check if my local petco has one.

Pssh, you have time! ;)

I think you just invented the full tank selfie. haha

I have a feeling this is going to be a great little tank. I like your insperation.

Haha now I just need to take one when the tank is full :wacko:

Thanks! I hope so :)

Where are you living in SD, Yosh? I used to live at Regents and Genessee, brother and I walked through UCSD down the hill to go surfing at the pier. Lots of fond memories of the place...

Also...well deserved TOTM!