ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

41 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Really interesting shots from snorkeling, thanks for sharing! Where all in Hawaii did you go?

If you're back into your Flickr account, or decide to make a new one, sharing Flickr photos here is super easy. All you have to do is paste the web address of the Flickr photo page into the editor and it will automatically embed, no more BBCode required. Photobucket really let everyone down, but Flickr should be a solid choice from now on.

The conference was in Honolulu, at the Hawai'i Convention Center (Near Waikiki). We went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. I'm still waiting for my post-doc to finish up some field work in Maui so she can send me more pictures she took from snorkeling.

Hm ok, good to know! Thanks! :)

6 hours ago, yoshii said:

Currently airing out my house cause one little clump of Gracilaria didn't like being in a box for 4 days...

But wow I forgot how big the portions are from GCE

IMG_20170727_144907219_HDR.jpg

Nice additions! Those are going to look great in the tank. I sure am looking forward to some pictures of them in the tank. Ahem...yep, pictures of the tank would be really nice :D

7 hours ago, yoshii said:

Come to the bay and I'll give you some

Nice! Let me know how the barbata does, I've only had it once but I remember it being diffcult

arent you going to scripps though? thats in sd yeah?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, teenyreef said:

Nice additions! Those are going to look great in the tank. I sure am looking forward to some pictures of them in the tank. Ahem...yep, pictures of the tank would be really nice :D

I took some pics, but ended up rearranging the macros later so I guess I need to retake some pics. I have more Red Grape than I know what to do with lol

On 7/27/2017 at 11:07 PM, supernip said:

arent you going to scripps though? thats in sd yeah?

Yes, I'm just back in the bay for summer break

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Awesome snorkeling pictures, Christina!  That's so wonderful that you got to go to a conference out in Hawaii.  I went to Hawaii for the first time a few years back and the diving/snorkeling there is just amazing!  Are you back at UCSD now?  I forget if you're on the semester or quarter schedule.  If you're back, I wanted to check in and see how grad school is treating you and if you got the tank all set back up at school.

I LOVED your graduation cap by the way!  Your pressed algae is just such a work of art.  Do you take commissions?  I'd seriously buy a piece of pressed algae artwork from you!

Oh, also, any word on whether you might get to make it up to Orange County for RAP?  Its fast approaching!  I'm excited to meet up with the NR crew and do some coral shopping :D  I'm hoping you can make it!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Christopher Marks
On 7/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, teenyreef said:

Teeny has the right idea :D 

How's your macro reef doing these days @yoshii:happydance:

• Like 1

Hi guys, time for another sporadic update! Happy New Year!

It was nice to see NR peeps at RAP! Felicia and Gena, it's always nice to see you ladies :) I hope I can make it to MACNA this year

This tank is still chugging along, although I'm getting really tired of moving it all the time. I can't wait to finish school and not have this back-and-forth tank moving. Especially because I keep losing my small pieces of macros. I hope to be done and defend my thesis by June, however I realize that pushing into summer is probably more likely. I'm also starting to volunteer at Birch Aquarium, so that will be fun!

Tank-wise, I added another small clown, a regular orange occy, which got along with Pocky (the Darwin) for a little while but now Pocky is really starting to be too aggressive with the orange clown (named Peppero for now, which is a knock-off brand of Pocky). I think I might have to take Pocky out for a time-out. Quite a few of my newer corals (from summer) were killed/partially killed a little while ago when one of my yumas decided to walk around the tank :( But I did get another green toad, and a finger leather with white polyps. Oh, Idk if I mentioned this before, but a while ago I changed the light fixture to a Kessil A80! It's so cute and easy to use, I like it.

I'm doing a LA/SD LFS trip tomorrow, so I'll be on the lookout for cool softies and macros :) We'll see what I stumble upon!

Here's a pic of Pocky I took today (from the side of the tank). My old cellphone died and I got a new one, but its camera is potato quality

26909968_10215110724464566_1214567264_o.jpg

• Like 16
7 hours ago, yoshii said:

It was nice to see NR peeps at RAP! Felicia and Gena, it's always nice to see you ladies :) I hope I can make it to MACNA this year

This tank is still chugging along, although I'm getting really tired of moving it all the time. I can't wait to finish school and not have this back-and-forth tank moving. Especially because I keep losing my small pieces of macros. I hope to be done and defend my thesis by June, however I realize that pushing into summer is probably more likely. I'm also starting to volunteer at Birch Aquarium, so that will be fun!

Tank-wise, I added another small clown, a regular orange occy, which got along with Pocky (the Darwin) for a little while but now Pocky is really starting to be too aggressive with the orange clown (named Peppero for now, which is a knock-off brand of Pocky). I think I might have to take Pocky out for a time-out. Quite a few of my newer corals (from summer) were killed/partially killed a little while ago when one of my yumas decided to walk around the tank :( But I did get another green toad, and a finger leather with white polyps. Oh, Idk if I mentioned this before, but a while ago I changed the light fixture to a Kessil A80! It's so cute and easy to use, I like it.

I'm doing a LA/SD LFS trip tomorrow, so I'll be on the lookout for cool softies and macros :) We'll see what I stumble upon!

Here's a pic of Pocky I took today (from the side of the tank). My old cellphone died and I got a new one, but its camera is potato quality

Cute fishie! Looks so nice and lush in there! Do you still have that pretty cream colored gorg?

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Cute fishie! Looks so nice and lush in there! Do you still have that pretty cream colored gorg?

I do, however it hasn't kept its cream color :( It's the tan gorg on the lefthand side of the pic above. I recently noticed Birch has the same one, which is also tan, so perhaps the cream color just wasn't meant to be!

1 hour ago, yoshii said:

I do, however it hasn't kept its cream color :( It's the tan gorg on the lefthand side of the pic above. I recently noticed Birch has the same one, which is also tan, so perhaps the cream color just wasn't meant to be!

Aw, bummer! It looks happy, at least! Did you ever figure out a species ID on it? I've got a couple of gorgs in my tanks and really like them, and am hoping for more (especially purple, because purple is the best! :lol:).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:39 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Aw, bummer! It looks happy, at least! Did you ever figure out a species ID on it? I've got a couple of gorgs in my tanks and really like them, and am hoping for more (especially purple, because purple is the best! :lol:).

I did, I wrote it down somewhere lol...I'll see if I can find it again
The purple brush/feather gorgs Pseudopterogorgia are beautiful and easy!

On 1/14/2018 at 1:30 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Happy new year @yoshii! Great shot of Pocky, the depth and layers of gorgs and macro algae is so cool!

Happy New Year Chris! Thanks :)

I need to get some actual pictures of the tank/macros up soon

Meanwhile, I got some goodies from my LA LFS trip! These are all the stores I visited on Sunday:

1. Shipwreck Cove Custom Aquariums - they had some nice named SPS!

2. Ocean's Tropical Fish

3. Coral Oasis

4. Seaside Tropical Fish (still one of my favs, although they carry a lot of fish that shouldn't be in the trade. And refused to sell me a piece of pretty macro and I was sad :()

5. Tong's Tropical Fish

6. 405 Tropical Fish

7. Age of Aquariums - LOVED this place! The FW displays were beautiful, the coral was pretty and cheap, I got an acan colony for $45 and a plant for my FW. I was super tempted to get this beautiful white polyp leather for only $50, but it was too big for my tank :(

8. Aquatic Fantasy - I couldn't trust a place that was this clean and fancy looking lol. Hardwood flooring with saltwater tanks?

9. LAX Aquarium - I was hopeful, then disappointed by this place. The lights on the corals were pure blue which just washed everything out. I couldn't even tell what color the SPS were supposed to be.

10. Rubens Aquarium Co.

Here are some pics,

Age of Aquariums beautiful Discus display, cool macro (speckled rose), and cool plate at Tong's

IMG_20180114_155842141.jpg.856d55494b45cff065efad9376eb8ba2.jpgIMG_20180114_142941930.jpg.0282301e89e15725b5fd62502cfc59ed.jpgIMG_20180114_150420612.jpg.dd9f1a9cab99219858ae225f3fe6d2aa.jpg

• Like 9
On 1/14/2018 at 1:09 AM, yoshii said:

Potato quality?   Made me choke on my drink.  Glad you got assigned to Aquarium.    Never been there.  I was impressed with Montera Bay Aquarium.

It has been some time.  Congrats on your degree.

I have of recent engaged research scientist with UT and Texas A&M.  Professor Samachoa is an expert on zero discharge intensive shrimp culture.  Five years ago, I visited the Flour Bluff facility for Texas AgriLife Life Mariculture Facility.  I brought him a 5G bucket of Ulva which they used to remove nutrients from shrimp culture water.  Zero discharge with all water recycled. Because I want to grow ediable seaweed, Red Ogo, I choose Gracilaria Tikvahiae because of its ability to handle extremes in temperature.  I decided to use nutrient rich water from a shrimp growout system of 450G to feed 150G tank.  Another world class scientist, Professor Jerry Brand advised me to sterilize my macro algae culture.  Jerry is Director of Algae Culture Collection which is the largest fresh & Marine algae inventory in the world.  These guys are molecular biologist, when they talk, I listen.  Three separate mariculture handbooks all say to sterilize.  So that is what I am going to do to produce edible seaweed in a tank.

This is 120G new build at one month old.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

y

On 1/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, yoshii said:

I did, I wrote it down somewhere lol...I'll see if I can find it again
The purple brush/feather gorgs Pseudopterogorgia are beautiful and easy!

Happy New Year Chris! Thanks :)

I need to get some actual pictures of the tank/macros up soon

Meanwhile, I got some goodies from my LA LFS trip! These are all the stores I visited on Sunday:

1. Shipwreck Cove Custom Aquariums - they had some nice named SPS!

2. Ocean's Tropical Fish

3. Coral Oasis

4. Seaside Tropical Fish (still one of my favs, although they carry a lot of fish that shouldn't be in the trade. And refused to sell me a piece of pretty macro and I was sad :()

5. Tong's Tropical Fish

6. 405 Tropical Fish

7. Age of Aquariums - LOVED this place! The FW displays were beautiful, the coral was pretty and cheap, I got an acan colony for $45 and a plant for my FW. I was super tempted to get this beautiful white polyp leather for only $50, but it was too big for my tank :(

8. Aquatic Fantasy - I couldn't trust a place that was this clean and fancy looking lol. Hardwood flooring with saltwater tanks?

9. LAX Aquarium - I was hopeful, then disappointed by this place. The lights on the corals were pure blue which just washed everything out. I couldn't even tell what color the SPS were supposed to be.

10. Rubens Aquarium Co.

Here are some pics,

Age of Aquariums beautiful Discus display, cool macro (speckled rose), and cool plate at Tong's

IMG_20180114_155842141.jpg.856d55494b45cff065efad9376eb8ba2.jpgIMG_20180114_142941930.jpg.0282301e89e15725b5fd62502cfc59ed.jpgIMG_20180114_150420612.jpg.dd9f1a9cab99219858ae225f3fe6d2aa.jpg

You named some great shops north of San Diego. Why was ASD and Reefers Garage not part of this pub crawl ? :lol:  

On 1/22/2018 at 3:26 PM, Subsea said:

Potato quality?   Made me choke on my drink.  Glad you got assigned to Aquarium.    Never been there.  I was impressed with Montera Bay Aquarium.

It has been some time.  Congrats on your degree.

I have of recent engaged research scientist with UT and Texas A&M.  Professor Samachoa is an expert on zero discharge intensive shrimp culture.  Five years ago, I visited the Flour Bluff facility for Texas AgriLife Life Mariculture Facility.  I brought him a 5G bucket of Ulva which they used to remove nutrients from shrimp culture water.  Zero discharge with all water recycled. Because I want to grow ediable seaweed, Red Ogo, I choose Gracilaria Tikvahiae because of its ability to handle extremes in temperature.  I decided to use nutrient rich water from a shrimp growout system of 450G to feed 150G tank.  Another world class scientist, Professor Jerry Brand advised me to sterilize my macro algae culture.  Jerry is Director of Algae Culture Collection which is the largest fresh & Marine algae inventory in the world.  These guys are molecular biologist, when they talk, I listen.  Three separate mariculture handbooks all say to sterilize.  So that is what I am going to do to produce edible seaweed in a tank.

This is 120G new build at one month old.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh very cool! Will/have you a build thread here?

On 1/25/2018 at 6:50 PM, Sancho said:

y

You named some great shops north of San Diego. Why was ASD and Reefers Garage not part of this pub crawl ? :lol:  

I was planning on going to Reefers Garage, but I could only go to a certain amount of shops along the way in order to make it to all before closing time, and unfortunately one had to go!

ASD I can go to any time so I didn't include it.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear things are still going well! I love that last picture of the macros with the clown fish, it makes the tank look so big! Good luck with school and your thesis! 

• Like 1

↑↑↑↑

Just caught up on this thread and I love the grown in look of the tank! I need to do another fish store trip soon, only been to tongs once but it's an awesome store! Best damn fish prices in the area IMO

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Gave the tank a nice cleaning, pruned back and rearranged some macros and also moved some corals around (finally glued down some SPS). The Tyree toadstool is probably going to be mad for a few days, but I'll try to get a proper FTS in the next few days :) I didn't do it today, but I'm considering ripping out some of the Cladophora (the green turf-looking alga) to make more room for coral. Then again...maybe I should think about tuition instead!

It's almost the end of Feb and now I'm starting to wonder what's going to happen with this tank once I'm done with my Master's. I guess it depends when I finish my degree and if/when I get a job :lol: I'm hoping I don't have to get rid of it, I've always had at least one sw tank for over 10 years now, I don't want to break my streak haha

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

FTS from last week! Don't mind the text, we had a show-and-tell with the local club, so I put some tank info up there

I'm pretty happy with how the tank is filling in since its most recent move (Jan) Some acans and other small frags died during the move, but mostly everything was ok

SDMA_FTS_5.5.jpg

• Like 12

Lovely photo! It's looking good. I really love that area of open sand that runs up the middle and lends depth perspective. This tank kind of reminds me of the super zen amano-style planted tanks, but the SW version.

I have been watching this tank for literally years. It's great to see an updated FTS!  I imagine it must be very peaceful to watch with all the macros and softies moving in the current.