ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Congrats on the degree. Any updates? 

I'm slowly turning my cheato fuge into a display fuge with macros i'm finding locally.

• 1 month later...

Thank you!

The tank looks terrible right now lol. It's had an odd problem lately. I noticed the other month my clown was acting weird, a little sick, so I took him out and put him in quarantine with an anti-bacterial (since he had clamped fins, slightly cloudy eye). In a few days, he was back to normal and looked great. I had done an extra large water change on the display during his quarantine, then added him back to the tank. I noticed later that night he had clamped fins again and was breathing heavily. The water tested fine so I gave him more time to adjust. Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the night 😞 I've been doing large water changes but I still can't figure out what's wrong. Even my corals (an softies!) are unhappy and some have died. I wonder if it's something bacterial? Or if I just need to give my sandbed a good cleaning since I don't have any sand sifters anymore (RIP hardest working Nass snail for 5 years)

Anyways, I've haven't really had time to focus on the tank or visit NR, as I'm trying to finish my Masters thesis/degree by the end of this month! :wacko: So stress levels are high :lol:But I will be at MACNA next month, and at the Women's Meetup, NR Meetup, and Poster Session if anyone wants to hang out or listen to me blab on about my research 😛

• Like 4
Christopher Marks
9 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Anyways, I've haven't really had time to focus on the tank or visit NR, as I'm trying to finish my Masters thesis/degree by the end of this month! :wacko: So stress levels are high :lol:But I will be at MACNA next month, and at the Women's Meetup, NR Meetup, and Poster Session if anyone wants to hang out or listen to me blab on about my research 😛

You got this! 💪

It will be great to see you this year at MACNA and hear about everything you've been working on! Sorry to hear about your clownfish, the stagnant sand bed angle seems worth exploring.

Nano sapiens

Sorry to hear that the aquarium is having difficulties and I think you are on the right track in regards to cleaning the sand bed.  But I'd say the Masters takes precedence...so all the best!

• Like 2

Have you tried PraziPro... my mom had a nano and she never took the best care of it , she had two clowns and I swear I brought them back from the brink of death with that stuff , I treated the entire tank , the fan worms survived and I saw a bristle worm after about a week after treatment and the anemone was fine . 

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

You got this! 💪

It will be great to see you this year at MACNA and hear about everything you've been working on! Sorry to hear about your clownfish, the stagnant sand bed angle seems worth exploring.

I will be sure to wear my NR shirt you gave me two MACNAs ago! 🙂 It will be fun to see everyone again

The sand bed gets "stirred up" every time I move the tank, which is usually 5x a year, but I didn't move it at the beginning of summer like I normally do, so maybe it's just got a build up of nastiness from 6mo ago?

I'm considering removing the sand bed since I will be moving the tank after I graduate (beginning of Sept). Maybe I should do this weekend while my apartmentmate is gone so they don't have to smell the awfulness that I'm sure will come with it :lol:

50 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Sorry to hear that the aquarium is having difficulties and I think you are on the right track in regards to cleaning the sand bed.  But I'd say the Masters takes precedence...so all the best!

Yep! As much as I'd like to fiddle with the tank, I also need to finish my degree before my summer lease ends after MACNA 😅

28 minutes ago, BrentSA said:

Have you tried PraziPro... my mom had a nano and she never took the best care of it , she had two clowns and I swear I brought them back from the brink of death with that stuff , I treated the entire tank , the fan worms survived and I saw a bristle worm after about a week after treatment and the anemone was fine . 

I do have Prazi, but I've only used it for treating internal parasites (which I believe is its main purpose?). I've used it in a previous tank with good results, although I was just looking for the death of my goby's internal parasites. I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear of the tank troubles.  Yes, real life can definitely get in the way but I applaud you for sticking with your education.  Way to go!

On 8/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, vlangel said:

Sorry to hear of the tank troubles.  Yes, real life can definitely get in the way but I applaud you for sticking with your education.  Way to go!

Thanks Dawn!

I did an almost 100% water change, left for a week, and came back to the tank looking even worse than before?? I don't know what's going on 😕 I wonder if it's my top off? I've been using tap water to top off since I moved to San Diego and never had any problems (yay for macros), but this summer I moved to a new apartment complex, I wonder if there's something up with the water? That's the only other idea I have. I know it's not the NSW I use, because I use it in tanks at work and they are fine.

Maybe I will do another large water change and not top off for a few days, see if that makes a difference.

• Sad 3
Christopher Marks
On 8/22/2018 at 10:06 AM, yoshii said:

Thanks Dawn!

I did an almost 100% water change, left for a week, and came back to the tank looking even worse than before?? I don't know what's going on 😕 I wonder if it's my top off? I've been using tap water to top off since I moved to San Diego and never had any problems (yay for macros), but this summer I moved to a new apartment complex, I wonder if there's something up with the water? That's the only other idea I have. I know it's not the NSW I use, because I use it in tanks at work and they are fine.

Maybe I will do another large water change and not top off for a few days, see if that makes a difference.

Aww that's frustrating! I would be suspicious of the tap water since the source technically changed. Might be worth picking up a jug of distilled water to see if it helps change the course. 🤞

33 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Aww that's frustrating! I would be suspicious of the tap water since the source technically changed. Might be worth picking up a jug of distilled water to see if it helps change the course. 🤞

Yeah I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference since I use Prime, but maybe! I'm going to put one of my (very sad looking) toadstools in a container with fresh SW and see if it makes any difference.

Although I might be breaking down this tank soon...but for a very exciting reason!! It's not officially-official yet, but for now I'll just say it might involve a one-way plane ticket to some beautiful tropical islands :ninja:omgomgomg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
Mitch's Fishes

Hey just wanted to stop by and say that I've really enjoyed this thread. It'd be sad to see this thread come to an end but it sounds like you might have some exciting things in your future!

I am relatively new to San Diego and in one of your previous posts you had mentioned a local club. Can you direct me to any information on the club? 

On 8/24/2018 at 4:35 PM, Mitch's Fishes said:

Hey just wanted to stop by and say that I've really enjoyed this thread. It'd be sad to see this thread come to an end but it sounds like you might have some exciting things in your future!

I am relatively new to San Diego and in one of your previous posts you had mentioned a local club. Can you direct me to any information on the club? 

Thank you!

Welcome to San Diego, there's a pretty active reef community here. The main club, SDMA has meetings every month and special events too. They have a Facebook page and a website which both lists meetings/events/etc. Everyone is really nice and chill, you don't have to be a member ($30 I think) to attend any event. There will also be a SDMA meetup at MACNA if you're going (plus people are organizing ride share)

• Like 1
Mitch's Fishes
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

Thank you!

Welcome to San Diego, there's a pretty active reef community here. The main club, SDMA has meetings every month and special events too. They have a Facebook page and a website which both lists meetings/events/etc. Everyone is really nice and chill, you don't have to be a member ($30 I think) to attend any event. There will also be a SDMA meetup at MACNA if you're going (plus people are organizing ride share)

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it 🙂 

Christopher Marks
On 8/24/2018 at 3:05 PM, yoshii said:

Although I might be breaking down this tank soon...but for a very exciting reason!! It's not officially-official yet, but for now I'll just say it might involve a one-way plane ticket to some beautiful tropical islands :ninja:omgomgomg

omgomgomg 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, yoshii said:

Yeah I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference since I use Prime, but maybe! I'm going to put one of my (very sad looking) toadstools in a container with fresh SW and see if it makes any difference.

Oooooooo sounds exciting! omgomgomg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

MACNA was such a blast this year! I was glad I got to meet up with great Nano-Reef friends again 🙂 I also really enjoyed being able to meet and network with amazing scientists and industry professionals, loved the choice of speakers this year. I also got to present a poster of my research (and then forgot to take my poster home lol whoops)

Tank news - I took down my tank the day before MACNA. And the NR crew who were there already know why: I got a job! Specifically, a job in coral growout/restoration in Honolulu Hawai'i omgomgomg  omgomgomgomgomgomg So obviously I can't take my tank with my for logistical and legal reasons. But I can't really complain...I'll be snorkeling and diving as part of my job. I'll also be defending my Masters thesis at the end of this month, right before I leave for Hawai'i.

FB_IMG_1536383942679.jpg

IMG_20180907_120056994.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 4
30 minutes ago, yoshii said:

MACNA was such a blast this year! I was glad I got to meet up with great Nano-Reef friends again 🙂 I also really enjoyed being able to meet and network with amazing scientists and industry professionals, loved the choice of speakers this year. I also got to present a poster of my research (and then forgot to take my poster home lol whoops)

Tank news - I took down my tank the day before MACNA. And the NR crew who were there already know why: I got a job! Specifically, a job in coral growout/restoration in Honolulu Hawai'i omgomgomg  omgomgomgomgomgomg So obviously I can't take my tank with my for logistical and legal reasons. But I can't really complain...I'll be snorkeling and diving as part of my job. I'll also be defending my Masters thesis at the end of this month, right before I leave for Hawai'i.

FB_IMG_1536383942679.jpg

IMG_20180907_120056994.jpg

Wow... Incredible....so jealulous...CONGRATS!!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Life updates and Hawaii LFS Visit!

My Master's defense was great, actually a lot less stressful than I thought it would be 🙂 I can now put a M.S. on my email signature lol

42664151_10217247831650910_3300292267981406208_o.thumb.jpg.e181ae0d1fe7647b073c96a8b3c99262.jpg

Aloha from Hawai'i

Moved 2 days after my defense! I'm in Honolulu on O'ahu. I've been busy running around doing paperwork, DMV stuff, and work, but I got a nice beachy pic for you guys

IMG_0666rwf.thumb.jpg.99152d4478217bc6efbdb1ec801aa582.jpg

I recently moved to my new place (I had been staying in a temp place while visiting apts in person) and it's so beautiful! I have a beautiful view of the mountains and Pearl Harbor. It's also very close to a LFS. I couldn't keep out of a fish store for long haha

Unfortunately they didn't really have an assortment of nano tank options available, just the Fluval 2/5g tanks, which I don't really like that much. But this makes sense since it's illegal to keep coral in Hawaii (except things like zoas and anemones). So people just have fish and some inverts. I don't even think you have have live rock, you have to get dry rock and seed it with bacteria.

The store I went too seemed pretty nice, they had a lot of fish, both saltwater and freshwater. The prices were of course much different than the mainland.

Check out the prices of these Green Chromis vs any of the Hawaiian fish. Potter's Angel for $26 anyone? 😛 And most of the tangs and angels were so small and cute! Sizes I rarely saw in California.

IMG_20181007_160855092.thumb.jpg.3b127b26b1c585086dbdd4c556c44ebf.jpg

IMG_20181007_160905944.thumb.jpg.3ca120289304a92270236b87a6f30d67.jpg

IMG_20181007_161142447.thumb.jpg.48f5696b089ba6d3049ef7342ed68cb4.jpg

IMG_20181007_161406582.thumb.jpg.be5fec7e430000a82080d3d6843c2c1b.jpg

IMG_20181007_161445727.thumb.jpg.30906c2a8eb0a02a6583683b3fb5b66e.jpg

IMG_20181007_161902700.thumb.jpg.5af7533af6814eedf9674ee5f143ae75.jpg

IMG_20181007_163027400.thumb.jpg.7177a0ea12e1923fae2c08531e791494.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

Congrats! and wow cool! Maybe get a tank big enough for that lovely potters angel? Anemone's and zoa's could make a beautiful display. Plus you can collect stuff for yourself from the beach I think? Maybe with a fishing license? Maybe there is macro to collect?

Your job sounds AMAZING! You'll be in swimming in the best tank of all :biggrin:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Congrats! and wow cool! Maybe get a tank big enough for that lovely potters angel? Anemone's and zoa's could make a beautiful display. Plus you can collect stuff for yourself from the beach I think? Maybe with a fishing license? Maybe there is macro to collect?

Your job sounds AMAZING! You'll be in swimming in the best tank of all :biggrin:

The potters were so cute and tiny! They all looked really healthy too. I was looking to see if they had any nano-sized fish, but they didn't, just damsels and some SA clowns. 

I might have to start a tank at work, although offices are being moved so it might be a awhile. But I want to get a small pick/nano going at home. I might either go the fancy planted Betta route, or the limu (macro) route. I went to some tide pools last week and saw so many awesome macros! It seems they only have regulations on the macros commonly used for food,  like Gracilaria and Asparagopsis. You collect them as long as you don't take the holdfast or take ones that are reproductive. For other macro, I don't think anyone cares, but if I collect those I'll just follow those guidelines to be safe.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow, congrats on the thesis, job and move.  Lots of good stuff!  I wish you the best as you make this big transition.

Congrats on your defense and your degree and your move and your new job!

And on the office pico, I can't imagine you not doing macros, your macro tanks are always so beautiful :biggrin: