ReefCleaners.org

Which scape for my 20L? Feedback appreciated!

danistarr

I am having troubles with aquascaping my 20L. I spent a few hours researching various aquascaping tips over the weekend, and here are 3 scapes as a result. :)

SCAPE 1

Front view:

11950944_10205175328398957_961746060_n.j

Back View:

11924768_10205175334079099_1904614128_n.

SCAPE 2-

Front View:

10388516_10205181053022069_2064202050_n.

Back view:

11938033_10205180914178598_937811026_n.j

SCAPE 3-

Front view 11938781_10205181054862115_911154977_n.j

Back view:

11950893_10205181057022169_1820361539_n.

Which scape do you like best? Or suggestions to tweak it in a way I have yet too? The lack of height of the shorter rock pile was bothering me for scape 1, but now that I have made it a bit taller, I think I almost liked the open negative space and large contrast in height more.

The tank will have a shallow sand bed.

I really don't want to touch the large rock pile though, sans adding/removing the smaller rock from small rock pile on top. I like it enough where I don't want to risk ruining it and not being able to get the same exact scape back :P

As for plans for the tank, it will be most likely be an Indo Pacific type biotope. I was leaning towards lagoon, but also thinking about doing more of a fore reef feel instead, or back reef.

It will for certain be a softie reef, with maybe a single LPS coral that's either a hammer/frogspawn/torch down the line. For softies, I want discoma mushrooms, pom pom xenia, glove polyps, snowflake glove polyps, and possibly a leather toadstool mushroom coral.

Fish wise, 2 max. Either a pair of occelaris clowns OR an orchid dottyback/royal gramma/bicolor blenny/falco hawk/dwarf hawkfish/six line wrasse with one other TBD nano fish.

Invert wise (if no hawkfish or six line) 2 scarlet cleaner shrimp, feather dusters, and blue/zebra/scarlet dwarf hermits.

Thank you! :)

Real quick also I've never had my flame hawkfish which is suppose to be a bit more aggressive than the Falco never touch my cleaner shrimp that I have ever witnessed. Just thought I'd throw that out too.

Interesting about your hawk, HOTWATER. Do you feel that a smaller hawk would have enough space in a 20 gallon long? It seems most of the fish i want have a recommended tank size of 30 gallons, so I'm iffy if a 20 long would be suitable for them.

Thanks for the feedback fishfreak0114! I spent 20 minutes this morning looking through all my pictures and trying to get the the three smaller rocks the way they were before in scape 1. I am so happy I didn't decide to take everything out and start from scratch. Lol.

I would take a hammer and chisel to the Rock and get rid of the "pile of boulders" look . Break them up and try to get some definition to your scape . Trust me , you'll be happier in the long run.

I would take a hammer and chisel to the Rock and get rid of the "pile of boulders" look . Break them up and try to get some definition to your scape . Trust me , you'll be happier in the long run.

^ this. The first scape seems the best but it would definitely look better if you could find a way where it doesn't look like a big pile of rocks and has more shape to it.

• 2 months later...
IronChefItaly

I think everyone above has it about right. I'd maybe consider taking one piece of rock off the central mass and busting it down into smaller fragments to make some of the connections more seamless. It's also a bit difficult to tell but if you can fit some nooks and caves into there then you'll get better water movement and areas for your livestock to hide out.

Also agreed, remember you want corals to fill up your space so I would't go over half the height of the glass. Too much rock is making the tank look small IMO.

+1 on chiseling some of the rock for seams. If you go the route of using epoxy to stick things together, really cram it in the seams and take a small piece of rubble and poke it all over the epoxy before it sets to texture it (and really smash it into the seam). Waaaaaaay less noticeable that way.

My opinion: none...

As mentioned above - take a hammer and chissel and make some adjustments.

What is wrong with current versions - the gap between glass and rock is too narrow. It will be hard to clean the glass as well as will make flow in the tank more restricted.

Overall look is that the rockwork is too bulky.

I would try to replicate a single mount setup with several ridges comming down into sandbed. The construction of the large mount should also include a cave. Don't be afraid that the volume of rock will be lower - the required surface area for the biofiltration is waaay overrated - you can get away with much less rock than commonly believed.

Archived