Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bunster's Nanoreef

Bunster

I use Kessil lights, and it really only has 2 settings, Intensity, and color (blue). The lower the blue %, the dark the tank gets. Raising the intensity nob, gets the tank looking more white. Maybe Kessil lights act differently?

Not too familiar with Kessil lights...not too sure how you go about dialing in the right spectrum...but I heard good things about it though...

Wow! What a beautiful tank, and I love your photography :wub:

Can you share a little about how you feed and keep things clean?

Edit: never mind, I see you put all that up front in the first post -_-

Thank you very much... love that greenbanded goby in your profile... had one once but I lost it. Not an easy fish to come by this end of the world.

• Like 1

Hi Bunster, fellow reefer from Malaysia here. You have a wonderful tank. I have to ask though - with regards to overstocking (I see you have a lot of fish), do any of your fish squabble for territory? (Especially the gobies) And how do you keep up with the WCs? I currently have 8 fish in a 30G (3 of which are due to be moved out), and I admit I have to keep on my toes to make sure no algae pops up on the glass or rocks. So how do you achieve that wonderful balance with your tank? Care to share any tips? :happy:

Thank you very much... love that greenbanded goby in your profile... had one once but I lost it. Not an easy fish to come by this end of the world.

Thanks! I love green banded gobies. I have two in each of my tanks. I just posted a new picture of one of them in my 4g tank thread.

I got mine from a guy on Ebay who sells five of them for $10 plus shipping. Unfortunately he probably can't ship from the Caribbean to where you are :(

• Like 1

Hi Bunster, fellow reefer from Malaysia here. You have a wonderful tank. I have to ask though - with regards to overstocking (I see you have a lot of fish), do any of your fish squabble for territory? (Especially the gobies) And how do you keep up with the WCs? I currently have 8 fish in a 30G (3 of which are due to be moved out), and I admit I have to keep on my toes to make sure no algae pops up on the glass or rocks. So how do you achieve that wonderful balance with your tank? Care to share any tips? :happy:

Hello neighbour! I know I'm overstocked... will get a bigger tank when I get the chance. My gobies don't fight with each other. I started with the yasha goby and shrimp first. Then added the broadband goby/shrimp later. So now they occupy burrows on each end of the tank.

The trimma and eviota gobies I've just added recently. And they've both found their little niches. The tailspot does his own thing on the upper half of the tank. The damsel and the wrasses can fend for themselves. Think the worst bully is the coral beauty. It likes to harass the others especially the clown. But the clown hosts a duncan in a corner and seems quite unfazed. So yeah... I promise, no more fish.

As for algae, I went thru all the usual diatoms, hair algae, dictyota... but as the tank matured, they went away. Now I'm just getting bryopsis on my frag rack which I manually pluck. Occasional spots of bubble algae too but they are quite stable. I started aio biopellets which helped a lot to bring the nutrients down... nitrates around 1-2 and phosphate <0.03 on salifert test kits. I prepare a bucket of salt mix every week and go through that doing small water changes of ard 4-5 litres each time maybe 2-3 times a week.

• Like 1

Hello neighbour! I know I'm overstocked... will get a bigger tank when I get the chance. My gobies don't fight with each other. I started with the yasha goby and shrimp first. Then added the broadband goby/shrimp later. So now they occupy burrows on each end of the tank.

The trimma and eviota gobies I've just added recently. And they've both found their little niches. The tailspot does his own thing on the upper half of the tank. The damsel and the wrasses can fend for themselves. Think the worst bully is the coral beauty. It likes to harass the others especially the clown. But the clown hosts a duncan in a corner and seems quite unfazed. So yeah... I promise, no more fish.

As for algae, I went thru all the usual diatoms, hair algae, dictyota... but as the tank matured, they went away. Now I'm just getting bryopsis on my frag rack which I manually pluck. Occasional spots of bubble algae too but they are quite stable. I started aio biopellets which helped a lot to bring the nutrients down... nitrates around 1-2 and phosphate <0.03 on salifert test kits. I prepare a bucket of salt mix every week and go through that doing small water changes of ard 4-5 litres each time maybe 2-3 times a week.

No worries. I pretty much overstock my tank as well. My goby is a bit of fierce though compared to yours - he's a Pink Spotted Watchman and bigger. I initially wanted to get a Yasha or Hi-Fin paired with a pistol shrimp, but I was worried I won't see them again. I do agree that Coral Beautys can be big bullies though!

Have you tried to gently scrub off the algae manually using peroxide and a toothbrush? I did it and it helped a lot with my algae issue. Also, for the biopellets - do you use it together with a skimmer? My system is skimmerless, so I'm curious about your setup. Sorry for asking so many questions - it's just that your tank really looks very lovely. And that SPS growth/color is amazing. :happy:

Thanks! I love green banded gobies. I have two in each of my tanks. I just posted a new picture of one of them in my 4g tank thread.

I got mine from a guy on Ebay who sells five of them for $10 plus shipping. Unfortunately he probably can't ship from the Caribbean to where you are :(

thats dirt cheap... they go for like $40-50 each over here....

No worries. I pretty much overstock my tank as well. My goby is a bit of fierce though compared to yours - he's a Pink Spotted Watchman and bigger. I initially wanted to get a Yasha or Hi-Fin paired with a pistol shrimp, but I was worried I won't see them again. I do agree that Coral Beautys can be big bullies though!

Have you tried to gently scrub off the algae manually using peroxide and a toothbrush? I did it and it helped a lot with my algae issue. Also, for the biopellets - do you use it together with a skimmer? My system is skimmerless, so I'm curious about your setup. Sorry for asking so many questions - it's just that your tank really looks very lovely. And that SPS growth/color is amazing. :happy:

Yes, I use a skimmer... quite essential I feel. It really helps to pull out the bacteria and gunk in the system. Plus it helps to aerate the water.

I'm a bit wary of peroxide especially in a small tank. Recently a local reefer used too much in his tank and it crashed.

That last picture of the clam makes it look like a meteor shower, stunning. NOW I WANT ONE, THANKS ALOT :P

Haha... do it!!! Derasa clams are easier in terms of lighting compared to the others

ricgarden-1_zpsxjtrqvwz.jpg

my little ricordea garden under blue leds

• Like 4

Someday I'll have a "big" tank and can keep a clam. You know, anything over 10g :D

That derasa is stunning :wub: And I really like that shot of the ric garden. How do you get them to stay on the sand?

• Like 1

Someday I'll have a "big" tank and can keep a clam. You know, anything over 10g :D

That derasa is stunning :wub: And I really like that shot of the ric garden. How do you get them to stay on the sand?

They are actually stuck to pieces of flattish rock... dont think u can tell from the pic...

This is a gorgeous tank! Nicely done!

Thank you!

• Like 1

I can see how you could not resist the coral beauty, what a darling baby it was! Does it behave itself and not nip at corals? I had one but when I downsized I re-homed it. Love the pic of the new record in too.

Wow.... Read the last few pages and am in love with this tank! Keep up the incredible work and stocking!

Thank you!

I can see how you could not resist the coral beauty, what a darling baby it was! Does it behave itself and not nip at corals? I had one but when I downsized I re-homed it. Love the pic of the new record in too.

He's been literally an angel... he doesnt nip. But I do keep him very well fed.

I was taking pics of my gobies last night when this creature popped his head out... Horrors!!! Is it a bobbit worm?

worm-1_zpsazod1smt.jpg

• Like 1

Put that pic on the ID fourm. I'm sure they could figure out wht it is

Good idea... will do so

on to some less terrifying shots of gobies...

Red spotted Goby (Trimma rubromaculatus)trimma-1_zps6ogfdtaj.jpg

• Like 6

Those gobies look stunning. Might I ask which place do you go to to get your livestock? I live in JB and I'm thinking of either going to Iwarna or Pacific Reef one of these days to pick up some macroalgae, CUC and maybe a small goby (like a neon or eviota etc.). :happy:

Singapore has better marine shipment choices, if you ask me. JB's stock is very limited and repetitive, unfortunately. :(