Pod Your Reef

DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

jedimasterben

I ended up ordering this one off Amazon. It is only 2 ounces of powder used for beer brewing. I figure I don't really need a 1 lb bag. The 2 ounces will make 120 ml of stock solution. Doing 1 ml per 25 gallons, that will still last me for ages!

• Like 2

The 3 day black out (ridding cyano) on my tank is over and I just mixed up a batch of this stuff. My water was pretty clear before, so I'm wondering how effective it will be. I'll post my results later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the info, Ben!

I have a question. Do you think it would be a good idea for those of us that run adjustable pumps to increase the flow in order to help keep this stuff in suspension?

• Like 1

A bit off topic.But while we are talking about saving some cash. Where is the best place to get DI resin? I dont need the color change crap my RO/DI is under a cabinet I use a TDS meter to tell me when its time to change it. Looked online and it really varies in price. Is there something that makes one better than the other? Just thought I would put it here to get an answer from JMB's big brain. Or any of you others. :)

• Like 1

Works remarkably well. Clean your glass first though haha

Yeah, I should probably add that to the OP. Any time I don't beforehand, I have lots of little stringy bits that are a nice white color where the carbonate clings to it :D

Sancho, I'll PM you, sometimes the best way to get more DI resin life is not with better DI :)

A bit off topic.But while we are talking about saving some cash. Where is the best place to get DI resin? I dont need the color change crap my RO/DI is under a cabinet I use a TDS meter to tell me when its time to change it. Looked online and it really varies in price. Is there something that makes one better than the other? Just thought I would put it here to get an answer from JMB's big brain. Or any of you others. :)

Yeah, I should probably add that to the OP. Any time I don't beforehand, I have lots of little stringy bits that are a nice white color where the carbonate clings to it :D

Sancho, I'll PM you, sometimes the best way to get more DI resin life is not with better DI :)

I wanna know the answer to his question too. I just bought more DI resin from BRS. I bought the color change crap. It was $1 more. My TDS meter still isn't reading anything on the "out" side. Should I change my resin now(color shows it is exhausted) or should I wait until the meter shows TDS?

• Like 1

The 3 day black out (ridding cyano) on my tank is over and I just mixed up a batch of this stuff. My water was pretty clear before, so I'm wondering how effective it will be. I'll post my results later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the info, Ben!

I have a question. Do you think it would be a good idea for those of us that run adjustable pumps to increase the flow in order to help keep this stuff in suspension?

I used KZ and microbacter 7 to clear up cyan spots. still on the fence about this being the same or better.

I wanna know the answer to his question too. I just bought more DI resin from BRS. I bought the color change crap. It was $1 more. My TDS meter still isn't reading anything on the "out" side. Should I change my resin now(color shows it is exhausted) or should I wait until the meter shows TDS?

Wait until you see 1, or that's what I do. Brown can still mean you have some more 0 TDS to make. some people use 1-3 TDS water, not me though.

• Like 2

Then I'll just post teh same thing I sent sancho lol. Are you looking for cheaper up front or cheaper long run? If cheaper long run, you may be best served by a better RO membrane (higher rejection) and a booster pump (even higher rejection and much faster processing). What is your tap TDS and RO only TDS, and what is your pressure like?

Ben, I ordered Calcium Carbonate, they sent 99.8% pure sodium carbonate.... gonna be safe or do I need to tell em to get their shit together? lol

No sir - sodium carbonate is washing soda. It will raise your alkalinity and pH significantly.

I used KZ and microbacter 7 to clear up cyan spots. still on the fence about this being the same or better.

You mean the combo of the two or the KZ shit versus CaCO3? If the latter, how would a less pure version do better?

And FWIW, I have a well, TDS 332 from the tap, very hard water, booster pump pushing to ~90PSI through a Spectrapure 'standard' membrane, output TDS is 2 (so ~99.4% rejection). I use that water directly into the tank, I no longer use the DI cartridges. :)