Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can't identify my new "friend"

Metatrone-oz

I guess I still have a bit of time to see how it will turn out. I guess overall I need to see how the Vermetid will behave and now my main concern is to identify my clicking shrimp. I don't want to add anything in the tank to feed a mantis :( (hopefully it's a Pistol) I'll have to trap it to find out.

I'm in Australia and I've purchased my LR from 100%reefsafe shop. The LR are form the reef around Cairns.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trapping isn't always easy, try to get visual, they are sneaky little creatures, and the mantises love live food.

They must be a very good supplier for live rock, too bad I can't buy any from them lol.

I've found a new weirdo. It was so "ugly" and worrying that I took him out. (still alive tho)

Any idea of what that is?:

IMG_2679_zpsp4wszsbs.jpg

Thank you for help.

The crab's claws look similar to those of an emerald crab (Mithraculus sculptus) with the white flattened tips like tweezers, making them effective at picking algae from rock, which he seems to be doing in your video... probably pretty safe IME, though I blame mine for eating some zoas - still waiting to catch him in the act, though.

New weirdo in the tank. I actually think it's been there for a while. Need an ID to decide what to do. I called him the wormhole!

What do you guys think:

IMG_2700_zpskv0g7m53.jpg

Cheers

I also found my clicking machine.... Glad it was a pistol at the end :

Nice blue looking (bad picture), so straight back in the tank

eea0ee4d-1d9c-4569-8716-b575afdfac62_zps

And I wonder about this guy, I think he's good:

136ed583-715c-4cf4-8b9c-06df0e35bea3_zps

So many hitchhikers :)

The wormhole is a type of polyp, looks a little like a retracted aiptasia, does it stretch its tentacles out further it are they always short?

As for the worm, looks like a nereididae, good guys.

Love your shrimp's pattern. I really enjoy all the discovery that comes w/ live rock. Love the little scallop, esp the way he grumbles/shuffles off. He's hilarious.

I think I found yet another hitchhiker :

569c347f-b2cf-4c85-bedf-46ab08482d54_zps

Can't work out if it's a type of nassarius snail or more an assassin snail... Definitely coming from my LR tho.

I also found my clicking machine.... Glad it was a pistol at the end :

Nice blue looking (bad picture), so straight back in the tank

eea0ee4d-1d9c-4569-8716-b575afdfac62_zps

And I wonder about this guy, I think he's good:

136ed583-715c-4cf4-8b9c-06df0e35bea3_zps

So many hitchhikers :)

How did you catch the Pistol shrimp? I have a clicking noise on my LR and cant find the little bugger.

All I know is they can be really tiny and still make a large noise. I found one when I started my 34 g close to 3 yrs ago and I've still only seen it once. It lives behind the rocks somewhere w/ my goby.

How did you catch the Pistol shrimp? I have a clicking noise on my LR and cant find the little bugger.

Well I was hunting for a mantis initially. Didn't even bother with the trap option. I'm lucky my nano is fairly new, so I could grab the piece of live rock I thought the shrimp was hiding in. Deep the rock in RO water for a few second, and that little bugger came out straight away. You can get away with this technique as long as you don't leave the LR out too long (10min max).

My pistol is a clicking machine, she clicks like crazy. I'm excited to see her blue colours coming out when bigger.

Well I was hunting for a mantis initially. Didn't even bother with the trap option. I'm lucky my nano is fairly new, so I could grab the piece of live rock I thought the shrimp was hiding in. Deep the rock in RO water for a few second, and that little bugger came out straight away. You can get away with this technique as long as you don't leave the LR out too long (10min max).

My pistol is a clicking machine, she clicks like crazy. I'm excited to see her blue colours coming out when bigger.

Good to know. My rock is new too but I'm afraid the dip can kill several dusters and spaghetti worm that are in the rock

Good to know. My rock is new too but I'm afraid the dip can kill several dusters and spaghetti worm that are in the rock

I was afraid too as I had the same as you on it. It went fine. The shrimp came out just a few second after I deep the rock in the water, so I could but the rock back in the tank in no time. The other guys on the rock were fine.

Mantis are common on live rock and are not so bad if you have a small tank. I had one years ago and they are fun to watch.

Pistol shrimp are just little bulldozers :lol: those things will make quick work of the sand over night.....

• 1 month later...

I'm fighting some nasty cyan, but I've just noticed this little guy. Looks like a shrimp.

I've got 2 peppermint shrimps already, could it be a baby?

Archived