Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can't identify my new "friend"

Metatrone-oz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This baby shrimp is an adult amphipod, a very fast one also, great cuc member.

Was going to say it looks like your avatar :)

What could be a threat to it? The pistol? Not the clowns obviously. The peppermints?

Was going to say it looks like your avatar :)What could be a threat to it? The pistol? Not the clowns obviously. The peppermints?

honestly I wouldn't particularly expect any of the listed ones to be huge threats to the amphipod, the thing about amphipods are you want to have a good population of the little guys, if you look at the tank at night you'll probably see more of them.
  • 2 weeks later...

Decorator crabs are really neat, but he could end up being a pain in the butt if/when he decides to walk around with your zoanthids and corals on his back. Kind of remind me of how tuxedo urchins dress themselves.

I had a decorator crab show up in one of my tanks. He was about the size of yours and never caused any problems for me.

At the very worst he might try to wear a small coral as a hat. I would just keep an eye on him for now.

I had a decorator crab show up in one of my tanks. He was about the size of yours and never caused any problems for me.

At the very worst he might try to wear a small coral as a hat. I would just keep an eye on him for now.

Good advise. wait and see. Cheers.

Now Decorator Crabs are not reef safe. He will most likely destroy my corals. I should get him out!?

just keep in mind different decorators have different preferences, some like to wear anything, some prefer algaes, some prefer polyps, etc. so don't be surprised if you see dressing trends.

just keep in mind different decorators have different preferences, some like to wear anything, some prefer algaes, some prefer polyps, etc. so don't be surprised if you see dressing trends.

Such an unusual and weird thing. Will see what happened. He's from my live rocks again.

Archived