Top Shelf Aquatics

[20H Invert-only Tank] Ideas for a cool invertebrate?

marshmallow

Hi everyone!

I have an invert-only tank set up for two months. Below are the specs:

- 20gallon high

- Salinity 1.023

- Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10~20

- Jebao WP-25 wave maker (in use) + Hydor Koralia Nano 425GPH (not in use atm)

- Aqueon Pro 100W heater, temp at 78F

- AquaC Remora protein skimmer with Cobalt 1200 pump (pretty powerful for a 20gallon tank)

- Shallow sand bed (1~1.5 inches)

- 24-inch aqualife LED light fixture (36 watts, good for my zoas because they are high in the tank)

Current stockings:

- 6 small hermit crabs (assorted)

- 4 Nassarius snails (cool creatures that will pop up when food hits water)

- About 20 tiny cerith snails (I ordered fewer, but everyone knows that John from reef-cleaners can't count :P)

- Three hitchhiker bivalves (they look fine so I did not bother with them)

- One hitchhiker nerite snail

- One colony of Zoas (green, orange, and purple, ~30 polyps, they are growing really well!)

- No fish

I feed two to three times a week with pellets and frozen brine shrimp. So far I like the hermit crabs a lot! They are really fun to watch and haven't bothered my zoas or other snails yet. I have a bunch of empty shells for them on the sandbed and some of them already changed their homes!

That said, I would really like to add some other invertebrates. I think my tank is well under the limit with a skimmer rated for 75G. I do not plan to add any fish or corals (other than the zoas I already have).

Is there any cool invertebrate that I can add to this tank? I want to have only hardy and less-demanding invertebrates. Some options I have thought about:

- Clams (pretty, but requires strong light and is delicate)

- Shrimp (heard they are pretty delicate creatures? Any hardy choices?)

- Emerald crab (love crabs! but I've read that they might eat my zoas?)

- Other crabs? I love crabs!

- Tuxedo urchin (my tank might be too small for one? Also they might eat my zoas?)

- Seastar (they are usually too big and very delicate?)

I'd like to hear your opinions my friends! Thanks a lot!

:P

A cleaner shrimp would be a great, easy invertebrate that cleans up after itself :)

Clams require really high lighting, don't know if that fixture can support them.

Thanks Harryjsinger! That's what I heard about clams. I don't think my light fixture is powerful enough for claims so I won't go for them. Besides, I've got three hitchhiker bivalves in the tank that are super cool! One of them is big and has two holes to breathe and filter water.

Thanks for recommending cleaner shrimp! I read the sticky post about shrimp. It appears that they would enjoy same-species companions. Would you think it's a good idea to add two?

Periclimenes sp shrimp would be some "not your average cleaner shrimp" shrimp that could be fun since they wouldn't be predated by any fish in your tank.

Sexy shrimp are fun, but they might chew on your zoas, so honestly I'd avoid them.

Pistol shrimp are fun too. They like to pair with a fish or a curlicue anemone.

Speaking of anemones those are inverts too so that is a big category to consider for yout tank

Urchins may rearrange your corals.

Porcelin crabs are peaceful and IMO beautiful.

You could get a small serpent star or brittle star. Check out harlequin serpent stars.

Avoid sea apples. They will kill your tank if they die.

Feather duster worms are neat, but difficult to have success with them long-term in my experience.

Thanks Mirya! That's really helpful!

I probably won't go for anemones because I am not confident that I would be able to keep them alive for a long time. I have a friend who used to keep one (GBTA). The anemone died eventually and killed almost everything in the tank. Though I have to admit they are fascinating creatures.

I think I have a few tiny feature duster hitchhikers. I love to see them with their opening "umbrellas" in the flow.

Serpeng/brittle stars sound fun! I'll do some research!

Aiptasia are super easy and they are anemones.

If you live near the ocean you can get some submerged sand or rotting seaweed, take it home and sort out some awesome amphipods and worms.

Hermit crabs can be fun.

If you don't want corals I can give you ideas to a world of pseudo-reefing awesomeness ;)

:-) Thanks amphipod! I think I have a few tiny aiptasia in the tank from the live rocks I got. I wonder if they would sting my zoas though when they get big.

I am not looking to keep corals (other than the zoas I currently have). What is pseudo-reefing? Sounds like some exciting projects :P

The Aquarist

I would totally do a sea apple in an invert only tank. Holothurin, the toxin is apparently a piscine specific toxin, and will have no effect on other inverts.

They can be very finicky though. Check out colochirus robistus, or pentacta anceps, two good choices.

:-) Thanks amphipod! I think I have a few tiny aiptasia in the tank from the live rocks I got. I wonder if they would sting my zoas though when they get big.

I am not looking to keep corals (other than the zoas I currently have). What is pseudo-reefing? Sounds like some exciting projects :P

not sure, zoas have pretty strong stings themselves. Aiptasia like many other anemones in general have powerful stings on their tentacle tips, only difference is aiptasia don't like to die lol.

They get big sometimes, couple inches tall should be expected as adults, they also get some more color when they get bigger, but be warned once they establish strong they don't give up easily, and they can have huge episodes of pedal laceration where a big one decides he wants to start a family and runs around the tank releasing dozens of babies in the process.

Basically think of an aquarium that you are deliberately doing something, or several things wrong. For example I have my tank lacking any electrical equipment, lit by a windows sunlight, with the algae deliberately promoted with dosed nitrogen lol. Despite all that it is carefully planned and I really don't get much fatalities in general.

Though I don't recommend any person to at any point decide they will put expensive stuff in a tank like that!

But the point of all this is to show aquarium environments are adaptable and can be fun and cheap, there are plenty of ways to get the same or better results in an aquarium. Also sometimes an aquarium can be focused on simple things, like worms instead of fish, or a crab or whatever else, there can be a surprising amount of fun in " simple" things.

Don't forget pseudo-reefing requires as much if not more research than normal reeding, and sometimes you will be the only one doing this to an aquarium lol.

So you are the man with a plan B)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

So the other day I was like casually passing by the LFS. Then I saw some cute emerald crabs in their tanks. So I bought one and brought it home. It must be really proud of its claws and has been really show-offy! I feed him dried seaweed two to three times a week. Last night I saw him mounching some of the green algae on the live rocks!

I am really happy about the tank as is!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Wow those guys look awesome! At first glance I thought they were some spiders LoL

Haha that's what all my friends thought when I was looking at them in school XD

Inverts only in a 20H? Awfully large tank for that...!

So inverts IMO are tough... You're trying to get some cool, unique, and possibly stand outish ones but their world contains a lot of interactions. Many inverts are predatory.

I think that an urchin would be a cool addition - something large enough that you can see easily without having to get close and study the tank too much. They hide a lot during the day but it doesn't sound like you're going to have a ton of corals so you shouldn't have to worry much about bulldozing or their "collecting" behavior.

Speaking of collecting though a decorator crab would be cool and they're reef safe for the most part. There are a lot of cool snail species - like maybe a fighting conch. I would avoid cowries though because as adults they munch corals.

Other cool inverts:

Scutus

abalone

a cluster of barnacles

filter feeding bivalve

fuzzy chiton

Obviously in most places you can't just walk in and buy these, but you might find online vendors and make it a habit when you go to your LFS to carefully go over the live rock bin as you might find some of these guys as hitchhikers.

Good luck.

Inverts only in a 20H? Awfully large tank for that...!

So inverts IMO are tough... You're trying to get some cool, unique, and possibly stand outish ones but their world contains a lot of interactions. Many inverts are predatory.

I think that an urchin would be a cool addition - something large enough that you can see easily without having to get close and study the tank too much. They hide a lot during the day but it doesn't sound like you're going to have a ton of corals so you shouldn't have to worry much about bulldozing or their "collecting" behavior.

Speaking of collecting though a decorator crab would be cool and they're reef safe for the most part. There are a lot of cool snail species - like maybe a fighting conch. I would avoid cowries though because as adults they munch corals.

Other cool inverts:

Scutus

abalone

a cluster of barnacles

filter feeding bivalve

fuzzy chiton

Obviously in most places you can't just walk in and buy these, but you might find online vendors and make it a habit when you go to your LFS to carefully go over the live rock bin as you might find some of these guys as hitchhikers.

Good luck.

Thanks buddy! On a side note, I've got three filter feeding bivalves already! They come as hitchhikers on the live rocks!

I have 2 cleaner on my 29 gal. And absolutely love them, if they see my hand getting close the the thank jump out of their spots and wait for my hand at the top of the water, as soon as it get in they start cleaning and pulling all the dead skin, free manicure.

Awesome, maybe I can try my luck identifying your bivalves.

This is one of them trying to get on the rock from the sandbed.

IMG_0070_zpsgjgr60dm.jpg

Another bivalve (close-up photo):

IMG_0004_zpsyjaqmgyn.jpg

Oh and my crabby:

IMG_0183_zps9khzes17.jpg

So for number 1, does he have a siphon? What's he look like closed? And what's the top of him look like?

Number 2 is weird, is his shell that entire surrounding rock?

Your crab is the emerald crab (Mithrax sculptus).

So for number 1, does he have a siphon? What's he look like closed? And what's the top of him look like?

Number 2 is weird, is his shell that entire surrounding rock?

Your crab is the emerald crab (Mithrax sculptus).

For number 1, he does not have a siphon unlike number 2. Sometimes he sticked his "tongue" out with shells wide open trying to attach himself to one of the rocks. But usually after a few days he was like "I don't like this spot so I would move" and started moving. I'll post a picture of its top when I get a clear shot.

For number 2, yes his shell is encrusted with all kinds of stuff like he's a rock that have two siphons LoL

Yeah I got the crab from LFS :-) Not a hitchhiker. My liverock order came with a few tiny dead crabs...

I just found this thread and love it!!! :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/297134-islandoftikis-mantispest-tank-pico-contest-winner/

Didn't realize there had been a pest tank contest LoL

Love the idea of invert tanks, I've got a 5 gallon one in my classroom!

Some other ideas (sorry if they've already been mentioned, just skimmed this thread)....

Rock nems

Sand sifting star

Gold ring cowry

Conches

Have fun!

Archived