Top Shelf Aquatics

Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Spray Paint

aquaman7

Hi there Nano-Reef!

I've been reefkeeping for 12 years, and now I'm working on setting up a reef tank after a 3+ year hiatus from all aquaria. I've safely used Krylon Fusion paint in the past to paint inlet tubes and other equipment parts inside the display tank black to match the tank background. This new tank I am starting work on will have a light blue background, and I am looking for a spray paint that I will be able to use to paint the parts inside the display tank (Krylon Fusion doesn't come in the light blue color I'm looking for, but Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch does).

Krylon Fusion I know works safely, and the consensus among aquarists for that safety seems to be its ability to bond to plastic, and like most latex/acrylic based paints, is inert once cured. So many people have used this product that it is usually exclusively recommended when someone wants to paint something that will be placed inside the aquarium. However, I have found spray paints by other brands (Valspar Plastic, Rust-Oleum Plastic, and Rust-Oleum Plastic) that tout this same plastic bonding ability as Krylon Fusion. I want to get feedback from aquarists who have successfully used paints other than Krylon Fusion safely in their aquarium. I am specifically looking at the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch in Satin Aqua for use.

I'd love to hear from anyone's experiences. Thanks!

249085_1.jpg

I've used it on PVC plumbing, sticks good and I was keeping/growing a lot of SPS, so I'd assume it's reef safe.

Good to know, thank you!

umm i alway painted outside the back panel but i never seen or heard anyone painting inside the tank :blink:

Yes, the outside of the back pane of the tank is painted, not the inside pane. As I mentioned before though, this paint would also be used to paint inlets, pvc, and other pieces that would be on the inside of the aquarium.

Archived