Cultivated Reef

Custom Acrylic Tops *Tank Toppers* Limited Runs

smiz

Top for cadlights rimless 45. First want to thank smiz for getting this done for me. He asked me to give a review and share some pics.

The top is exactly what I asked for. Functional and nice looking. It's hard to make a product for a rimless tank and not take away from the clean look of it. The truth is I hate tops on rimless tanks, but my fish deserve to be safe in the tank.

There are few things I had to change with the top on.

1) cadlights rimless tanks have a very high water line so if you have a lot of surface agitation its probably going to get the mesh wet in places. I fixed this by moving my mp10's a little lower. The other option was to redesign my tabs so it would sit higher on the tank. This was never a option for me as it would bother me not sitting flush and would take away from the rimless tank.

2) light penetration. There is a noticeable decrease in visible light and color temp. I have the nano box quad hybrid. I have bumped my light up by 10% to get closer to what it was. I don't own a par meter so checking how much of a decrease there is isn't happening for a few weeks. Just wanted to let others know that you will see a difference. Smiz said he had someone check the par with the top on and it decreased it by 20.

3) condensation around the rim. I honestly didn't think you would get any with the majority of the top open, but you do.

Again let me state the work is top knotch and I am completely happy with the design and functionality. Just wanted to give fellow hobbyist and future customers some insight since the product is so new.

Now the important part

image_zpsiwcmatr9.jpeg

image_zpsktkhubax.jpeg

image_zpsu2zpus57.jpeg

• Like 2

Top for cadlights rimless 45. First want to thank smiz for getting this done for me. He asked me to give a review and share some pics.

The top is exactly what I asked for. Functional and nice looking. It's hard to make a product for a rimless tank and not take away from the clean look of it. The truth is I hate tops on rimless tanks, but my fish deserve to be safe in the tank.

There are few things I had to change with the top on.

1) cadlights rimless tanks have a very high water line so if you have a lot of surface agitation its probably going to get the mesh wet in places. I fixed this by moving my mp10's a little lower. The other option was to redesign my tabs so it would sit higher on the tank. This was never a option for me as it would bother me not sitting flush and would take away from the rimless tank.

2) light penetration. There is a noticeable decrease in visible light and color temp. I have the nano box quad hybrid. I have bumped my light up by 10% to get closer to what it was. I don't own a par meter so checking how much of a decrease there is isn't happening for a few weeks. Just wanted to let others know that you will see a difference. Smiz said he had someone check the par with the top on and it decreased it by 20.

3) condensation around the rim. I honestly didn't think you would get any with the majority of the top open, but you do.

Again let me state the work is top knotch and I am completely happy with the design and functionality. Just wanted to give fellow hobbyist and future customers some insight since the product is so new.

Now the important part

Blue I can't thank you enough for the write up! I would have never thought of the issues you're experiencing or known how high of a water line your style tank has without it!

Anyone else with feed back please post it up as it only helps improve the product!

Tank looks amazing BTW hope to find a build thread soon!

Alright Smiz...time for you and I to talk. Just found my Tailspot crispy on the carpet after being out of town for 3 days. I have a Deep Blue 24x24x12 rimless with a corner overflow and a Radion RMS mount we'll need to work around. Sound like an adventure you are interested in taking?

Here is what we are dealing with...

DSC_0228.jpg

I'd love to order a top for my new tank - SCA 66. How do I get a quote going?

PM sent!

Alright Smiz...time for you and I to talk. Just found my Tailspot crispy on the carpet after being out of town for 3 days. I have a Deep Blue 24x24x12 rimless with a corner overflow and a Radion RMS mount we'll need to work around. Sound like an adventure you are interested in taking?

Here is what we are dealing with...

DSC_0228.jpg

You my friend are in luck! I have the same tank! I'll shoot you a pm and get all your info!

Smiz if you end up making one for someone's RL-45 let me know. I'm too scared it won't fit the curved corners well

HAHA, quit being a baby Harry I have laser beams! I forget but I think I have a PM for one so maybe it'll happen soon!

• Like 1

And now for the update! Here is our first top with a colored insert along with the other options we offer, clear and black. I am really in love with the colored lids, will be making one for my tank ASAP!

CBA4086B-B344-47B5-B680-519B5A5074F2_zps
BB7CBDEC-B291-4170-BD3A-78D68A0931F9_zps
0FB56432-5033-46E3-8965-CC11B7693452_zps
5EFFE46B-B9C2-4BBE-A641-B19B6CF469CC_zps
B666FA5C-3498-4091-87AC-2CA55DDDFB6F_zps
  • Like 3

Update: Forgot my phone with the pics on it, BUT first round of custom tank clips was a success!!!! We can now produce our own custom clips to meet everyones needs! Clips will be $10 for 10 and can be multiple designs. Pictures to follow!

• Like 1