Pod Your Reef

House of Sticks Triton Powered Coral Farm Build Log

sangheili

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is wet and cycle has been started. Still a lot of stuff to hook up (apex energy bars, lights, dosers, heaters, odds & ends plumbing, etc). Skimmer is up and running too and it's a beast!

V9MvFPh.jpg

MOnktKI.png

MIaXJhw.jpg

• Like 3

Tank is wet and cycle has been started. Still a lot of stuff to hook up (apex energy bars, lights, dosers, heaters, odds & ends plumbing, etc). Skimmer is up and running too and it's a beast!

V9MvFPh.jpg

MOnktKI.png

MIaXJhw.jpg

:wub:

Just out of curiosity (I'm an accountant) what is the cap cost like to set these raceways up? Ball park..

:wub:

Just out of curiosity (I'm an accountant) what is the cap cost like to set these raceways up? Ball park..

I'll send you a pm ;)

• 1 month later...

New raceway has been cycled for a while. No cyano/hair/etc yet so I am still waiting to see those fun phases show up :lol:

Been sticking some grow-out stuff in the tank though. I'm going to need more tiles B)

vVdRKhr.jpg

5x9U7sN.jpg

0R8NZho.jpg

YbjUwiT.jpg

Many more not pictured. Probably 20 tiles so far with coral on them. Also, first attempt as photographing under this slightly different light.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything in the new raceway is doing fantastic, even if things are a slight bit more pale then I would like (apparently due to phosphate, since the Triton test showed the lowest Phos reading I've ever seen). I need to get more fish ;)

Most of my nicest acros from the main system have been chopped and duplicated in this system as added insurance. Growth so far is great.

Lif9TxE.jpg

F5NF1RF.jpg

avWLsVL.jpg

uspLzkF.jpg

X5ehqMl.jpg

tOLfeH3.jpg

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Sangheili, can you post a photo from above of your huge raceway tank? Are there racks in there or just the corals on plugs on the bottom?

Sangheili, can you post a photo from above of your huge raceway tank? Are there racks in there or just the corals on plugs on the bottom?

As discussed earlier (I think?) this tank has a full-length physical gyre (not the pump). There is a raised false-bottom that runs roughly 12 of the 15 feet in length and the return pipes exit underneth as well as an additional powerhead to help the gyre work. This entire 15ft long tank runs with one RW-20 powerhead and two 1000gph return pumps. It has equal or more flow to my other raceway which has about 6 powerheads and 8000gph of return pumps.

EDIT: Here is a crude MS Paint visual...

mCVAPC1.png

Here's a few overhead photos - you can see the tank is still being filled with coral, I am only using about 8ft of the 15 right now ;):

scAyjOi.jpg

mMXJpy8.jpg

eq3LV44.jpg

• Like 3

Looks amazing and cool to see a different system. When I was visiting WWC and getting the tour the amount of fish in the frag systems is nuts. However the corals color look very very deep. Not a bad thing but just different. Then we have yours with almost ZEO colors!

Keep up the amazing work. Fun to see a forum sponsor on here giving behind the scenes work.

-Dave

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with leds?

That's a can of worms question haha! The short and sweet is that I find T5/Halides to work much better. I do like LEDs to add accent and pop in corals though, and will be adding some reef brite strips to these T5 fixtures eventually.

I have used basically all lighting solutions available at some point or another. IMO the best solution on the market right now is LED/T5 hybrid like the ATI Powermodule or Dave's new fixture.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with leds?

Because T5 is awesome and he has the mcdaddy of all T5 fixtures ever made. Anything else would be a downgrade.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought some stuff from you guys at RAP and found this thread. Amazing setup you have there. Next time I drive by you area, I'll have to stop by and buy. :) Thanks again for the goodies.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...