Pod Your Reef

Help choose? Eshopps R-200 or ADV-200 Sump? (3rd Gen)

ScubaJ

So I am looking into replacing my sump and just looking at what is out there. I see Eshopps came out with a new generation of sumps that look interesting. They are running some good sales on them as well... the R-200 is down to like $232.

Anyone running these and what are your thoughts? Not many reviews out there on the 3rd gen series.

If these are no good, I will be doing the built to order route more than likely.

dragonxflare

I actually recently purchased the R-200 for my 48 gallon tank and so far really love it. Here is a picture of if when I first set it up:

jpmmIin.jpg

Two things that bug me a little:

1. The return pump is in the back of the sump, so you can't really see the water level of the sump. I normally just stick my head in to see, but if would be nice if I can easily look instead of popping my head under my tank. You essentially can just turn the sump around to have the pump showing in the front, but you wont get to see your refug....

2. Where the water flows from the tank to the sump, to make this unit quiet, it flows into a back chamber, and the water flows into the filter sock. This is great and literally has no splashing sound.... but the thing that sucks is, IF something goes into your overflow (fish etc etc), it would be very very difficult to get it out. Not saying it's impossible, but it would be a little harder.

Overall though, I love this sump, and the price on it, can't be beat. The build quality is amazing.

The two complaints I had on this, isn't a huge deal, and definitely should not be a deal breaker in my opinion. Overall, great sump @ the price you listed.

Also, here is a video of the unboxing that I found on this unit:

I saw that video but its a 2nd Gen. There is almost no information I can find on the 3rd Gen. Your input is greatly appreciated though!

I pulled the trigger on the R-200. Seriously, for the price... I couldn't find anything close. I had a feeling the return pump chamber could be an issue... but at the same time... I don't ever look at mine now really. Once I set the ATO level... I haven't had to bother with it.

Good to see the Vertex skimmer fits... I just picked mine up and it BARELY fits my current sump.

dragonxflare

I saw that video but its a 2nd Gen. There is almost no information I can find on the 3rd Gen. Your input is greatly appreciated though!

I pulled the trigger on the R-200. Seriously, for the price... I couldn't find anything close. I had a feeling the return pump chamber could be an issue... but at the same time... I don't ever look at mine now really. Once I set the ATO level... I haven't had to bother with it.

Good to see the Vertex skimmer fits... I just picked mine up and it BARELY fits my current sump.

One thing I wish I did when purchasing the vertex skimmer was to buy the one with the pump inside the skimmer, would have saved me space in the sump :)

But yeah, you wont be disappointed with the sump. When I was thinking on which to buy, it was hard to find reviews on this thing as well. It's so quiet, I love it.

Also, if you planned on getting a vertex skimmer, youll need something to prop it up a bit to adjust for the water level. I believe mine is set around 7", so i used about 2-2.5 inch of egg crate to get the height needed for the skimming

I have used a r-200 for over a year and it's awesome I hate the rectangular socks. It is super booboo. I bought a used pro flex 300 sump and I really really could not be happier. It has three small filter socks a refugium and lids for the damn thing. And I huge skimmer\ retune pump area. With the eshopps sump I had to get an extra piece of pic pipe and even then bubbles in the return area still popped and salt creep was everywhere.

I don't intend on using filter socks long term. I intend to buy or create a piece to slide in that utilizes polypad... cheaper and easier to replace.

The Vertex shows 6.5" to 9" for water level and isn't the R-200 set at 8"? I wouldn't think you would need anything but adjust the intake. I also like the fact that it isn't inline. While inline takes up less space, separate is easier to service in my opinion.

dragonxflare

I don't intend on using filter socks long term. I intend to buy or create a piece to slide in that utilizes polypad... cheaper and easier to replace.

The Vertex shows 6.5" to 9" for water level and isn't the R-200 set at 8"? I wouldn't think you would need anything but adjust the intake. I also like the fact that it isn't inline. While inline takes up less space, separate is easier to service in my opinion.

I think i measured the R-200 at 9". I found that raising the level to about... 7-7.5 worked best for me. Different for everyone though

Archived