Cultivated Reef

Bluefish fan control

Ton Umali

Hi guys, I am just new in this forum and I created an account for one reason only - for my bluefish mini controller :)

I just recently replaced my stormx controller to bluefish. I am currently loving all the features of it!!! The best controller so far!

I have some questions that needs assistance though, I connected my coralux pwn fan controller to the bluefish but I can't seem to control the fans, it just stays on 24/7. Is there any way to control it depending on the leds intensity? Sorry I am not very good at electronics haha

One problem also I encountered is my string of RB Luxeons M (8 leds) hooked into one channel using 2 LDD 700 isnt working, I'm not sure if I messed the wiring part haha

Btw, I am from the Philippines and I think I am one of the first to use the Bluefish controller here, I have to say it has huge potential especially here since everyone loves to diy.

I'm hoping someone can also guide me in configuring my photoperiod and other available feature of this great controller.

Thank you!!!

jedimasterben

Do you have the regular fan PWM board (the blue one) or the Power/PWM board (red)? I don't know if either of them will really work since the Storm/StormX use 5v PWM and the BF Mini uses 3.3v. Doesn't seem like a big change, but it can be enough if the right hardware isn't used on the output side.

I don't know what parts you'd need to get that working again on the same board, you'd have to reflow the SMD components off the board and replace them, so it's not for the faint of heart lol.

Got any pics of your wiring? What power supply are you using for the LDD? Four Luxeon M in series requires a minimum 50v input.

The Bluefish is really bang-up. Definitely a huge jump up from the Typhon and Storm!

Also, if Bluefish fan control is really something you want, O2Surplus (a member here) has designed and makes a PCB that houses six LDD, two Meanwell SCW (these are kind of like LDD, but the output is 12v constant voltage for powering the BF mini and fans), and has an onboard Arduino Nano to convert the PWM signal from the BF Mini to a 25kHz true fan PWM signal, and it can pulse the power to the fans and ramp them up and down. It doesn't even need a dedicated fan control channel, it piggybacks off of any of the LED channels, so I use mine on my violet channel since that is the only one that reaches full intensity during the day, so the fans follow that ramp exactly :)

010_zpsrlqbs1jy.jpg

Hi Sir, thank you for your quick reply, appreciate it.

I'm not really a DiY expert haha, my friend just helps me sort things out.

As far as my knowledge goes, I think we used 12 LDDs 10 700 and 2 600 and used jumper cable to combine 2 LDDs. I was using 12 channels in my storm x so we need to combine 2 of them since the bluefish only has 6 channels.

This is how the wiring looks like:

CD4558AF-22F4-47E4-B563-5CA363CA038E_zps

As for the power supply I am using this one that allows you to adjust from 40-52v (I am set at 48V as of the moment)

91D13782-C72A-47C6-BD5C-B5990DFEE6B9_zps

Is it that which causes my Luxeons (8 combined in 1 channel) not to light up?

What are my options?

That looks like a great fix for the fans, as of the moment I plugged the fans to my apex and I just control the on and off thru a temp probe placed ontop of the heatsink. It would be great if I can use that controller so I can use the bluefish to control the speed of the fan. Sorry to ask but would you know the price of that controller? :)

So far after the apex the bluefish is the next best controller I purchased for my tank =>

Would it not be asking to much if you share your lighting schedule and led intensity? Having hard time setting them. I'm using the sunrise/sunset not although it says in the manual it is not suggested haha

jedimasterben

Yes, you cannot run four Luxeon M in series from a 48v power supply, so that is why those two strings are not lighting up. You can add another LDD driver and put two M on it and keep the power supply at 48v, or you can turn it up to 51-52v and see if it works then.

Intensity depends only on what your corals are acclimated to and what they need, so my settings won't work for you. Turn on Natural Sun and Dynamic Sunrise, leave Dynamic Sunset off. Set your midday intensity to what you had previously (or if this is a new LED setup and you aren't sure of the intensity, start it at 40-45% peak and watch your corals), and then set your night start time (which is when you want the lights to turn off), you don't have to touch anything else, the controller takes care of the rest. Leave it like that for a couple of weeks (tweaking your colors to make it what you like, then average that out to 40%, and then once your corals are acclimated to the new light, you can start slowly raising the intensity. Raise it by 5%, then watch your corals for a couple of weeks. If they show any lightening in color, then back the light down by 5% and leave it for another couple of weeks to let them recover, then try it again. If they are ok and you still want to raise it, try it another 5% after a couple of weeks, and then observe for a couple of weeks, etc.

Thanks again Sir, will try increasing voltage.

I'm having a hard time understanding the natural sun, I'm trying to configure a soft start (morning) but I can't seem to have it done when natural sun is enabled. I'm also trying the pendandt time shit (to soft start). Am I doing something wrong? Haha

jedimasterben

Thanks again Sir, will try increasing voltage.

I'm having a hard time understanding the natural sun, I'm trying to configure a soft start (morning) but I can't seem to have it done when natural sun is enabled. I'm also trying the pendandt time shit (to soft start). Am I doing something wrong? Haha

Natural Sun looks like this, you don't have to do anything else:

Screenshot_2015-02-07-19-33-24.png

Pendant time shift is only useful if you want left to right dimming (ie, the left side of the tank starts up at 10AM, then the middle at 10:30, and the right side at 11, etc).

Got it finally!! Hahaha

So to sum it up, I just have to turn on dynamic sunrise and natural sun then set the midday and the night start (off)? The controller will depend on the midday (peak?) setting I did? So that does the ramp up ramp down I want?

Sorry if I keep on repeating, just want to be sure hahaha

Than you for your patience Sir.

jedimasterben

Correct, Natural Sun does its own ramping.

1/3 is spent ramping up, 1/3 is spent at peak, and 1/3 is spent ramping down :)

jedimasterben

Thanks Sir!!! Big help!

Btw how much is the case for the mini?

855.gif

:D

The only place that makes them so far is Nano Box Reef, and I don't know if they sell them separately from their lights.

855.gif

:D

The only place that makes them so far is Nano Box Reef, and I don't know if they sell them separately from their lights.

This is Dave we're talking about.

He'll totes sell a case separately. His customer service is just that good. ;)

Wonder how much. He didn't start selling the cases till just after I bought my bf mini from him. XD

Archived