inTank Media Baskets

Acro Skeleton Bridge & Epoxy

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of altering my scape a little and building a 'bridge of sorts using pieces of dead Acro skeletons. So far I have most of the desired Acro skeleton pieces - I just need a way to make them stick firmly to each other without breaking apart.

Which Epoxy would you recommend for a reef tank full of fish and coral? How long must the bridge be dried out (once you Epoxy it together) before you can introduce it in the tank?

I use both the DD aquascape stuff and standard milliput in the tank with stock.

Both set under water and both are fish and coral safe.

Some people say milliput pulls oxygen out of the water, but I have never had an issue and I would imagine it needs to be massive amounts/tiny tank no skimmer to cause an issue.

If the structure needs support to hold it in shape then let it cure over night in the shape you want it on a workbench, if it all locks together quite well and will stay in place in the tank or you need it in tank to make it fit then that's fine too. I have used cable ties to hold things in place temporarily in the tank while putty sets, most recently a large stag horn colony that was going on a steep rock face and kept falling off as the centre of balance wasn't over where the base was puttied down.

Snow_Phoenix

I use both the DD aquascape stuff and standard milliput in the tank with stock.

Both set under water and both are fish and coral safe.

Some people say milliput pulls oxygen out of the water, but I have never had an issue and I would imagine it needs to be massive amounts/tiny tank no skimmer to cause an issue.

If the structure needs support to hold it in shape then let it cure over night in the shape you want it on a workbench, if it all locks together quite well and will stay in place in the tank or you need it in tank to make it fit then that's fine too. I have used cable ties to hold things in place temporarily in the tank while putty sets, most recently a large stag horn colony that was going on a steep rock face and kept falling off as the centre of balance wasn't over where the base was puttied down.

Thank you so much for that detailed response. I think I'll let mine cure outside overnight first before introducing it into the tank since the tank is skimmerless. Thanks once again for all the pointers.

Archived