Top Shelf Aquatics

schg's Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon (retired)

schgr.cube

I like it... looks like you corrected some of the excess blue

Congrats on the new pieces...Dont count the plate out just yet. Ive seen coral make a full recovery even though everyone had already counted them out. Just give it tlc and make sure it doesnt get too much light. Im actually in the process of nursing back some acans and duncans that were worse for wear.. had i remembered to take some "before" pics you wouldnt believe they were the same coral.They look great now. I currently have two acan frags left that are still in poor shape but im just going to give them a few more months.

I say get the xenia and put them on their own separate island surrounded by fine grain sand (they can spread onto rubble) Put the island right in the front so your wife see them easily. Ive done this on two separate occasions and they never spread to any other parts of my tank.

Yeah, I'm trying to get more accurate shots of the tanks lighting, but it's hard because I've been keeping the light around the 16k-18k region. I'll keep the plate no matter what, since it would just go in the back as rubble eventually anyway. But I can still see the mouth, and it looks like some of the flesh is still there. I'll buy the xenia next time I make it over there, it's cheap and I like the color of it. I guess I'd have to move the GSP to the back, as I don't have enough room on the sand bed for two pest corals lol.

Nice destiny poster haha and clean tank setup.

Thanks lol. It's actually a giant box from the launch, but I keep it with some of my other game stuff. I don't even play Destiny anymore (although I should)

If the plate dies it might pop back to life with a bunch of babies a few months down the road so there's always that, I had a small orange one do that once. Too bad more corals don't do that trick.

Probably being annoying by posting when there aren't many changes happening, but I feel like this looks better than my last FTS. The Cyano seems to be going away, which is really nice.

21836557632_d79295f0a7_o.jpg

I picked up a two headed Duncan, and adopted a nearly dead orange plate coral, just to see if it might come back. It has a tiny bit of flesh left and the mouth looks like it's still alive, but the skeleton is nearly 95% of the whole coral. If it dies, no biggie, I didn't pay for it. Also have a friend with a reef that is going to frag about 5-7 different zoas for me in the near future, so that should be fun!

My wife really wants some Xenia (the smallish whiter kind, not the super long tan kind), and I'm unsure of what to do. Part of me really likes it in tanks, and I have never really gone through the normal aquarium experience of starting with cheaper coral and pulling it out when I eventually move on to better things, but I don't want it to really over run my tank. :unsure: What to do?

NO XENIA!

Or you can put it on a small secluded rock where it can't spread as easily.

You can NEVER post too many pictures haha

If the plate dies it might pop back to life with a bunch of babies a few months down the road so there's always that, I had a small orange one do that once. Too bad more corals don't do that trick.

lol yeah I have seen a few examples online of that happening. I hope mine does what yours did!

NO XENIA!

Or you can put it on a small secluded rock where it can't spread as easily.

You can NEVER post too many pictures haha

See that's the thing, because I don't have a lot of sand space, I'll have to move the green star polyps in order to put the xenia in an isolated spot. Because GSP seems easier to manage in that sense, I think I'll put the xenia up front on that secluded rock, and move the GSP to the back wall?

Also, found an open box RW-4 on Amazon for pretty cheap, so pulled the trigger. As long as it comes in good condition, I'll return the Koralia.

Soooo.....I got rid of the Prime, it kept messing up, and no one could replace it quick enough to make me happy. But I've seen such amazing things from Kessil, that I decided to pull the trigger on an A160WE.

21326329653_2e51929693_o.jpg

I need to figure out how to mount this thing correctly, as I don't think I want to use the gooseneck, but it's on the tank and looks fantastic!

I also got the RW-4, and boy is it powerful! I have it down on the lowest setting, and I think it still might be too powerful. I'll have to buy the variable voltage adapter to tone it down a bit, but it seemss like a really well made little pump!

Edit: nvm, I found a 12v adapter in my house that works! Now the pump works really well, and isn't pissing off my coral! Today was a good day.

• Like 3

Soooo.....I got rid of the Prime, it kept messing up, and no one could replace it quick enough to make me happy. But I've seen such amazing things from Kessil, that I decided to pull the trigger on an A160WE.

I need to figure out how to mount this thing correctly, as I don't think I want to use the gooseneck, but it's on the tank and looks fantastic!

I also got the RW-4, and boy is it powerful! I have it down on the lowest setting, and I think it still might be too powerful. I'll have to buy the variable voltage adapter to tone it down a bit, but it seemss like a really well made little pump!

Edit: nvm, I found a 12v adapter in my house that works! Now the pump works really well, and isn't pissing off my coral! Today was a good day.

Yea the RW-4 is a beast....so much pump for so little. I had a couple of vids of it in action in my thread.

Congrats on the kessil....great light

id hang it or do something like this

kessil-1.jpg

Hm, that's a decent idea. I did want to sort of hang it from the wall, so I started modifying a shelf bracket from Ikea for the time being. But if that doesn't work, I might try something like that.

Thanks!

Yea the RW-4 is a beast....so much pump for so little. I had a couple of vids of it in action in my thread.

Congrats on the kessil....great light

Yeah it seriously is, I feel like even with the 12v adapter it might be too powerful. Part of me, deep down inside, thought I might win one of the Lagoon 25s that IM was giving away, and that the pump and light would be perfect for that tank. I guess it's because I was the one on Instagram who initially suggested they do the giveaway, too bad I meant specifically to me! <_<

Thanks, I REALLY like the Kessil. The immediate difference in color in the coral was astounding. I feel like in my 6 year absence from reef keeping, I missed out on a huge evolution that LEDs went through, and the Prime just didn't keep up. That's probably why I was so content with the Prime at first, lol!

reefernanoman

I love my Kessil A160WE! It's on top of another tank, but my corals (even easy SPS monties) love it and have been growing pretty well. My rainbow acan looks very nice under it too. I think that you will love it too. Oh and that shimmer is just icing on the cake.
  • 3 weeks later...

So I guess I forgot to post that I received some coral about two weeks ago from a friend, but I got a handful of different zoas, and a nice little pink and yellow goniopora. All are doing well, but the goni is still kind of upset, and one of the zoas decided it didn't like my tank and is pretty much gone. That plate that I was trying to rescue also seems like it didn't make it. Oh well!

Coral has been kind of on hiatus lately, as I got a new car! A 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude:

22488600171_5f5629a428_b.jpg

However, I did buy something slightly special today, for a fairly special occasion. I don't know if anyone read about it (I may have only posted on my last thread, I can't remember), but I used to buy a coral every year on my brothers birthday and the anniversary of his death. My brother died 9 years ago of testicular cancer, and for some reason I started a chose to make reef keeping a way to honor him. Although he was never into aquariums, I stared buying a frag twice a year in honor of him, and when it grew big enough I would cut a piece off to give to someone for free. I wanted to get this tank running well so that I could pick something nice this year, and with things looking pretty good I picked out this little rainbow Acan.

22289645540_45ed2f5c16_b.jpg

I hope to continue this tradition, and would not at all be offended if others wanted to borrow the tradition for anyone they have lost. I think it's a nice way to pass things along, in addition to honoring someone you've lost.

Here are some of the other frags I picked up recently:

22289640840_9ff3afbfe0_b.jpg

22464216142_9557d78e44_b.jpg

And a FTS:

22290777939_c5e53e67d6_b.jpg

This is probably going to be the last update for a little bit, as a car payment definitely means coral goes on the back burner. :closedeyes:

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
schgr.cube

Well I wasn't lying when I said that my last post would be it for a while! I've basically left the tank entirely alone since my last post, partially due to laziness, partially due to a pretty major illness I dealt with for quite a few months. The glass was completely encrusted, and I had not done a water change in about a year. Some of my coral died off during this time, but I've had some decent growth on the rest!

34868721641_5046437007_k.jpg

I have obviously done quite a bit of glass scraping (sorry, I should have taken a before photo!), and a water change, so this little tank is feeling a bit better. I need to start picking up some more coral, and will likely get a cleaner shrimp soon.

34868721541_7c816bf33c_k.jpg

Sorry for the long hiatus, and that after it I really don't have anything amazing to show. I am usually pretty slow to get tanks stocked, but this one has really taken the cake in that regard! Anyone have some cheap frags they want to sell? :P

34868721421_0961970018_k.jpg

I'll take better care of this tank from now on, I feel freshly motivated!

• Like 2
schgr.cube

I wasn't very happy with the photos I posted earlier, so I used my early morning change in aquascape as an excuse to take two new ones. I am still getting the hang taking pictures with the LED lighting. :blush:

34718760160_759811f721_k.jpg

One more, just messing around.

34718759850_69be6c59ec_k.jpg

• Like 1
schgr.cube

My wife and I decided to convert my old office (which is basically just an empty room with an aquarium in it not) into a guest bedroom, so the Fusion is now moving downstairs into our living room! I decided to create a subtle little light mount using some aluminum speedrail I had laying around, and painted it white to blend in with the wall. The original stand is being repainted black, since I really didn't like the bamboo, and I should have everything ready to move tomorrow night. Hopefully this won't be too much of a disaster!

34706304283_0243bb0686_c.jpg

Cat bonus.

• Like 1
schgr.cube
2 hours ago, Rehype said:

Woah long time no see! Tank is going to look great in the new space!

I know, right?! I really missed being involved with all of this, so I'm happy to be back! And thanks, I am excited to move it to where it will be more visible.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The tank has officially moved into its new home in our living room, and I am very happy to be able to just peek over at it more often. I was out of town for work most of the last two weeks, but was able to sneak over to an aquarium shop yesterday and found a nice little fire shrimp:

35476751216_58b69a99aa_k.jpg

I have wanted one for a while, but every time I found one they were HUGE. I hope to stock quite a few inverts in this tank, so the smaller the better right now. I'm glad I photographed it before I acclimated, as it immediately started hiding when I introduced it to the tank!

Side note: I am probably being my typical self right now, not letting a tank fully grow out before upgrading, but an opportunity to move into an IM Fusion 25 Lagoon has presented itself, and I am heavily considering it. I am torn between going with that tank to be able to have a nicer overall aquascape, more stability, and an increase in livestock possibilities, but I feel like I should just let this tank grow out instead... Having both is not possible, and I would need to keep my existing equipment to move over.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JR! said:

Get the new tank and sell me the stand. I'm starting an im 10 this week

lol where are you located? I might have enough bamboo plywood to make you another one...

Edit: I was on mobile when I responded. On desktop I see you are in Ohio. I could always flat pack and ship, if you were willing to pay the shipping!

• Like 1

44256 is my area code. I'd love to know what that would cost lol. You have pic of the current state of it. You can pm me if you want

Edit: just reread what you said. If you could make me another that would be even better.  <3

On 6/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, JR! said:

44256 is my area code. I'd love to know what that would cost lol. You have pic of the current state of it. You can pm me if you want

Edit: just reread what you said. If you could make me another that would be even better.  <3

Messaged you!

PS; I changed my name for a few reasons, but I figured it was close enough people would not be terribly confused.

41 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Did you decide to get the new tank?

I think in your shoes that's what I'd go for. 

Sort of! There are two major possibilities right now, and they both go in kind of the same direction. I started building a new stand to fit the 25 Lagoon (option 1), but I may end up doing a custom tank with the whole invisible equipment thing like my old ADA 30C in the same dimensions (option 2). The jury is still out!

• Like 2

I've been tired of losing all of my coralline, so I've been manually removing about 20-30 Asterina stars a day. Fortunately I have a friend who owns a harlequin now, so I will be giving them to him to try to propagate as a food source.

35489874006_c3ed76500c_k.jpg

Also, if you aren't following my other thread, I have begun rendering my proof of concept for the invisible display idea. I will have to tweak the plumbing a bit, but I figured I'd share the progress so far:

34674733654_7042e6c03b_k.jpg

I'm posting this here, since these threads may merge together if I decided to bring this to fruition.

• schgr.cube changed the title to schg's Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon (retired)