Top Shelf Aquatics

schg's Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon (retired)

schgr.cube

IM10-0001.thumb.jpg.0b19e8ad7a6ec56cbe1b2ef12000dbee.jpg

Currently hanging out in my temporary office, while my office is being renovated.

Setup:

• Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 10
  • Lighting: Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue
  • Heater: 75w Cobalt Neo Therm
  • Flow: Stock pump, Jebao RW-4
  • Filtration: Custom iLuminAqua media basket w/ filter floss, Purigen, and Chemi Pure Blue
  • Live rock: 12.5lbs of mixed fiji and real reef live rock
  • Live sand: 15lbs of mixed fine grain and coarse crushed coral

Filtration and maintenance:

• 2 gallon water change once a week
  • Media basket has filter floss (changed weekly), Purigen, and two bags of Chemi Pure Blue (changed monthly, rotated bi-weekly)

Fish:

• Snowflake Ocellaris clown (09/23/15 - Petco)

Invertebrates:

• Blue legged hermits
  • Dwarf Ceriths
  • Florida Ceriths
  • Caribbean Ceriths
  • Nassarius
  • Small Nerites
  • Zig Zag Perriwinkles
  • Dwarf Planaxis
  • Small Brittle Star (4"?)

Soft Coral:

• Red Mushroom (08/31/15 - Tropical Lagoon Aquarium)
  • Neon Green Star Polyps (09/07/15 - King of Corals)
  • Nuclear Green Palythoa (10/15/15 - Friend)
  • Oxide Zoanthids (10/15/15 - Friend)
  • Blow Pop Zoanthids (10/15/15 - Friend)
  • Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids (10/15/15 - Friend)
  • Green Striped Mushroom (10/25/15 - King of Corals)

LPS:

• Teal and Green Favia (09/07/15 - King of Corals)
  • Green Duncan (09/30/15 - Today's Pet)
  • Small Orange Plate (09/30/15 - Today's Pet; Received pretty much dead, trying to rehabilitate)
  • Pink and Yellow Goniopora (10/15/15 - Friend)
  • Rainbow Acan Lord (10/25/15 - King of Corals)

Backstory:
Well, this is the second time I have started a build thread in the past few weeks, but I think it is for good reason. I began building a pico out of a Petco Cubic 3.7 gallon, but decided it was a better idea to go with a tank I would be happy for longer and not have to change things out after it is already established. This comes after not having an aquarium for a while, but my old ADA 30c is probably the best known on Nano-Reef, which eventually turned into a planted tank. I am leaving the build thread for the Petco tank up, even though it never got off the ground, just to document this experience in its entirety.

IM10-0002.thumb.jpg.6c1c664d55dac18033b3fd1fd4634ed5.jpg
Original plan, now scrapped for the IM Fusion 10.

Index:

Nice! Loved your ADA 30c back in the day :) can't wait to see more. I'd reccomend upgrading the media basket to an inTank one. I have an IM10 myself and it makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

A new beginning:

As mentioned in my index post, two weeks ago I began a pico from a Petco 3.7 gallon all in one tank, that was actually pretty damn nice. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I just wanted to do things right before I got too deep into it, and not have to have a conversation with my wife about why I need to upgrade or change something out for the millionth time. I decided to sell off (or exchange) the pico, and pulled the trigger on an Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon. It should be here by the 10th at the latest!

IM10-0003.thumb.jpg.85aab07ad6ce0d452671f5ac67cdc887.jpg

Last shot of the attempted pico.

I already have most of what I need to get this started now, but will obviously need some more live rock and sand to make sure my cycle starts appropriately. I am going to sell the Coral Compulsion Par30 (I love it, but again, I want to make sure I get something that I will be less likely to upgrade quickly) and put an order in for an AI Prime. I've heard mixed reviews on it, but I have seen it in person now and really love it. I'll but it off Amazon though, so at least the return policy will keep me safe if it doesn't end up working out for me.

Stay tuned for updates, and keep your fingers crossed this tank makes it to me quickly!

Nice! Loved your ADA 30c back in the day :) can't wait to see more. I'd reccomend upgrading the media basket to an inTank one. I have an IM10 myself and it makes a huge difference.

Thanks! I still kick myself that I tore it down before it really had a chance to grow out, but I hope to build up my confidence to do it on a larger scale in the future. And I may end up getting that, but a good friend of mine (the one who made the old LED and sump on my ADA, he does amazing work now) is possibly going to make me one instead.

The tank will be here tomorrow, the AI prime will probably be here on Tuesday. Although I'm still waiting on those two things, I do have some progress. I was able to start the stand!

It is made of bamboo plywood that was leftover from an exhibit at the museum I occasionally work at. It's really nice wood, and although I was originally planning on skinning it with a white laminate, I think I may just polyurethane it and call it a day. I bought the wrong hinges, so the door is just kind of sitting there, but here it is:

IM10-0004.thumb.jpg.c81124801b3d9b33138c58d712b23c4c.jpg

IM10-0005.thumb.jpg.aa798aebca21030f0f72c8dc45f47663.jpg

IM10-0006.thumb.jpg.02d3e00890b01473801bd1789666c0d4.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good for what I am capable of. I do have to adjust the shelf a tiny bit, as when I was trying to screw it back in after sanding the inside, I misaligned it. No biggie. Hopefully I'll have everything together in the next few days.

• Like 4
reefernanoman

The tank will be here tomorrow, the AI prime will probably be here on Tuesday. Although I'm still waiting on those two things, I do have some progress. I was able to start the stand!

It is made of bamboo plywood that was leftover from an exhibit at the museum I occasionally work at. It's really nice wood, and although I was originally planning on skinning it with a white laminate, I think I may just polyurethane it and call it a day. I bought the wrong hinges, so the door is just kind of sitting there, but here it is:

20439176295_d9be976a88_o.jpg

19818245433_1cb494c9fb_o.jpg

20445400971_42e71d83d1_o.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good for what I am capable of. I do have to adjust the shelf a tiny bit, as when I was trying to screw it back in after sanding the inside, I misaligned it. No biggie. Hopefully I'll have everything together in the next few days.

Very good work! Tagging along.

Nice Stand! Jealous of your handy work. My IM 10 is just on my desk, for now. Might make it a stand at some point.

You will love the AI prime when you get it, great light!

Very good work! Tagging along.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Nice Stand! Jealous of your handy work. My IM 10 is just on my desk, for now. Might make it a stand at some point.

You will love the AI prime when you get it, great light!

Thanks, I had my pico set up on an Ikea shelf, but once I got past 4 gallons I decided it was worth making something sturdy. I can give you the measurements for minte, it was pretty easy to make.

And I'm very excited to play with it, it seems like an awesome light.

• Like 1

Got two packages today:

IM10-0007.thumb.jpg.ac400d8e3ca05a722614d3b17e4ba604.jpg

IM10-0008.thumb.jpg.7540651a0d16ee5a57da393b7eacb517.jpg

Bonus shot of the tank on the stand, before I polyurethaned it:

IM10-0009.thumb.jpg.a43bf10552da9cb9534e20316747c944.jpg

Leak test tonight, once the poly dries I'll fill this up! Will have to buy more live rock on Wednesday, but cycle should be started then.

• Like 4

Now this is the schg I remember. :)

Clean rimless style and a modern stand. Props on the bamboo and I prefer it over white or black laminate. Good job

lol thanks. As soon as I put it up on the stand, it just felt right to me. And yeah, it is really starting to grow on me, although living in an older home makes me want to have a really clean white stand.

I spy with my little eye.... DESTINY!!!!

do you still play???

lol yes it is! I have all my collectors edition stuff up there on the shelf, but I haven't played in a bit (any games for that matter). I need to get back into it before the expansion comes out.

What system?

I got pretty burned out after HoW and I'm debating about the price to get The Taken King. Sadly none of my friends play at all either, and I'm hoping the new release will have them all start playing again. It'll probably be the deciding factor if I buy it or not.

What system?

I got pretty burned out after HoW and I'm debating about the price to get The Taken King. Sadly none of my friends play at all either, and I'm hoping the new release will have them all start playing again. It'll probably be the deciding factor if I buy it or not.

I have it on PS4. I lost interest fairly early because everyone I played with got bored. I would love to get into it again, but you're right, I don't know if I can justify the money on the expansion. I'll probably wait it out.

I spy Diablo 3..which is my and my girlfriend's choice.

LOVE your stand by the way. I really need to step up on the "stand game"

lol I loved that game, I haven't played it in forever though. This is in my temporary office, so I am trying to find a spot for all my video game goodies.

Scape looks great!

Thanks! That is actually in the pico that this tank is replacing, but I am going to try to keep that part of the scape in tact in the new tank.

Love the stand. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks! Hopefully will have this filled and started by tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

It's wet!

Filled it up! Not the greatest picture, because the AI Prime is fairly hard to photograph, but I really love this light!

IM10-0010.thumb.jpg.cd1379ee081784735aa0ab93c0443ca4.jpg

Of course I had to take the obligatory cloudy water shot, and I still need more live rock, but I don't know if I'll have the chance to pick that up until Friday or Saturday. Once the water clears and I have a chance to see how much space I have, I will try to figure out what my scape is going to be.

In other good news, my old friend Sammy who made the LED on my old ADA has come through again. He has a company in Puerto Rico called iLuminAqua, and made me a media basket! I know everyone recommends the intank stuff, but Sammy has always done me right.

IM10-0011.thumb.jpg.a96e5f43f57c6cf65a3d8647775c0dfd.jpg

I will try to hold off on more pictures until I get more rock and the water clears up. :P

• Like 5
charnelhouse

schg's IM Fusion 10 gallon

Current full tank shot:

19904670464_acce4fc703_o.jpg

Tank is finally set up!

August 12th, 2015

You're not supposed to put milk in them!

(I kid, nice tank/setup)

On 8/14/2015 at 5:21 PM, dpoltsdsu said:

The whole build looks very sleek and professional. I will definitely be following. The stand looks fantastic

Thanks! I appreciate it.

On 8/14/2015 at 5:25 PM, charnelhouse said:

You're not supposed to put milk in them!

(I kid, nice tank/setup)

Wait, why didn't anyone tell me this before?!

Got a nice 4.5lb rock, bringing me to a total of about 9lbs. I like the aquascape, but I feel like I want a tiny bit more (honestly, just to throw behind the big one. I feel like from the side, it looks a little weird). I really want to make sure I don't extend my cycle any longer than necessary, so if I don't get it today or tomorrow, I'll probably just leave it and find something fully cured down the line.

IM10-0012.thumb.jpg.ded028cf0c8200aa2130f7f81ed1e5e1.jpg

This light is so hard to take pictures of on my iPhone. I need a better camera :closedeyes:

• Like 4

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Wait, why didn't anyone tell me this before?!

Got a nice 4.5lb rock, bringing me to a total of about 9lbs. I like the aquascape, but I feel like I want a tiny bit more (honestly, just to throw behind the big one. I feel like from the side, it looks a little weird). I really want to make sure I don't extend my cycle any longer than necessary, so if I don't get it today or tomorrow, I'll probably just leave it and find something fully cured down the line.

20409138670_6cefd884ec_o.jpg

This light is so hard to take pictures of on my iPhone. I need a better camera :closedeyes:

Looking good!

I find that if you turn the pump off when taking a picture it turns out a lot better on the iPhone.

Looking good!

I find that if you turn the pump off when taking a picture it turns out a lot better on the iPhone.

Thanks! I'll take better pictures soon, it's hard getting the hang of it. I'm trying not to overload this thread full of photos of just rock :P

• schgr.cube changed the title to schg's Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon (retired)