Pod Your Reef

Loud skimmer troubleshooting - venturi?

ajmckay

So I've used this Bubble Magus NAC6 for 2-3 years with no issues. It's been quiet and works well.

A little bit ago the original mesh wheel broke, but it came with a replacement so I snapped the new mesh wheel head onto the magnet and re-assembled the pump.

The pump is quiet when I first plug it in - but it gets really LOUD when I attach the air intake line.

Anyone know what this might be caused by? Seriously all I did was replace the impeller head and cleaned out the pump and venturi parts with a toothbrush and some diluted vinegar.

Skip to 0:51 to hear the noise.

By "self balance" I meant maybe the mesh needed a little bit to seat itself fully or something.

I've never been so stumped over something that I thought would be a simple fix...

I don't even know what to google because whenever I google words like "Protein skimmer loud venturi" I get information on how to add/make a silencer - but this isn't the same noise. This noise isn't just the sucking sound from the air intake tube it's air causing a noise closer to if not inside the pump!

Okay I really don't want to use this as an excuse to buy a new skimmer...

Well I do - but I want a bunch of other stuff too...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry this is reeeeeallllly late lol - but maybe it will be useful to someone.

I ended up deciding that it was something related to the new impeller head. Something was off balance. 

I tried (not very hard) to find another for the Atman pump when I found a bubble magus "upgrade" kit.  It came with a new Bubble Magus branded pump that had a pinwheel impeller instead.  It also came with a new mounting baseplate, venturi nozzle, and diffuser plate.  It was $75 I think so I just did that.

I'm sure with some digging a new head for the atman pump could be found but this just seemed easier.  Plus it made the skimmer work a lot better and is even quieter.  

Note that in 2021 I still use this skimmer.  I like it and think it's pretty good performance in a relatively small package. 

• Like 1