Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zorak.

pgrVII

I always thought the misting did the job lol

Well it helps keep the humidity up as well as allows him to drink,but definitely not a substitute for a good rain storm.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgrVII

• gena

• Slowtwitch

• Merthynia

It takes a true man to be comfortable with a purple razor......Action Jackson is a badass.

Haha truth. He is quite the bad ass.

Eh purples just a color,plenty of people from Maryland wear it (not.me though)

• Like 1

Between you and Gena, I kinda want to get a crestie. But I also want to get a mini-pig like Jack's. I say these things and Jeff just gives me one of these looks: :wacko::blink::huh:

Crested geckos are a fantastic choice! A lot easier than a mini pig for sure. You should definitely consider one :).
  • Like 3

Crested geckos are a fantastic choice! A lot easier than a mini pig for sure. You should definitely consider one :).

Absolutely, or maybe get one from Gena if she has hatchings ;)

I'd trust her stock over alot available.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Is there really a "Stock" as in a desired genetic background for reptiles? Like.. I know for dogs theres a genetic component to their price but I never knew about reptiles! Thats awesome!

Oh also with Clownfish right? Bad genetics (*Cough* ORA *Cough*) can be dangerous?

Impatiently waiting for eggs! Should be any day now fingerscrossed.

I really need another breeding female. Been looking at a few but they are so pricey. And to answer Harry....color, pattern, shape of head (crests), play a big role in determining the value of the crested gecko. Breeder line (a known name) does make a difference too. That's why we are paying top dollar for our breeders that have desirable traits. Then we just have to build the reputation. This is a joint venture with my son. We call our "business" Cheery Cherry Geckos. We don't have a website yet though...still getting started.

• Like 3

Is there really a "Stock" as in a desired genetic background for reptiles? Like.. I know for dogs theres a genetic component to their price but I never knew about reptiles! Thats awesome!

Oh also with Clownfish right? Bad genetics (*Cough* ORA *Cough*) can be dangerous?

Yes there is. But it's not so much genetics as it is general husbandry, genas would be done out of respect and admiration for the lizards where as some are done for more dubious reasons.

Yes dog genetics are important if looking for a certain "quality type" dog like my rottie was bred with some of the highest stock from very separate lines to reduce bad genes like hips and what not. She's 4th Gen pedigree

Impatiently waiting for eggs! Should be any day now fingerscrossed.I really need another breeding female. Been looking at a few but they are so pricey. And to answer Harry....color, pattern, shape of head (crests), play a big role in determining the value of the crested gecko. Breeder line (a known name) does make a difference too. That's why we are paying top dollar for our breeders that have desirable traits. Then we just have to build the reputation. This is a joint venture with my son. We call our "business" Cheery Cherry Geckos. We don't have a website yet though...still getting started.

Hmmmm maybe a merger if I decide to start breeding jacksons ? :P

• Like 2

Yes there is. But it's not so much genetics as it is general husbandry, genas would be done out of respect and admiration for the lizards where as some are done for more dubious reasons.

Yes dog genetics are important if looking for a certain "quality type" dog like my rottie was bred with some of the highest stock from very separate lines to reduce bad genes like hips and what not. She's 4th Gen pedigree

Hmmmm maybe a merger if I decide to start breeding jacksons ? :P

It fascinates me that you can't really determine what an offspring crestie will look like just by looking at the parents. It's kinda the luck of the draw. Which I think is really cool. I think it will be interesting to pair different males and females and seeing what they produce.

Haha...one of us would have to move though LOL.

I bet breeding jacksons is WAY more difficult?

• Like 2

This has to be one of the cuttest things ever.

Right?!

It fascinates me that you can't really determine what an offspring crestie will look like just by looking at the parents. It's kinda the luck of the draw. Which I think is really cool. I think it will be interesting to pair different males and females and seeing what they produce.Haha...one of us would have to move though LOL.I bet breeding jacksons is WAY more difficult?

Nah might work good cause we'd have east and west coast Covered lol.

They give live birth which is neat. I'm looking into it now so I have a handle on it if and when the time comes, right now just trying to get a handle on good husbandry (but I feel good about it so far)

• Like 2

Nah might work good cause we'd have east and west coast Covered lol.

They give live birth which is neat. I'm looking into it now so I have a handle on it if and when the time comes, right now just trying to get a handle on good husbandry (but I feel good about it so far)

That's true :).

Yeah, looks like you are doing things right. Caring so much about them is the most important part! And I can tell you really do :).

• Like 1

That's true :).Yeah, looks like you are doing things right. Caring so much about them is the most important part! And I can tell you really do :).

Gotta have something to fight for even of its a little chameleon :)

Also my rock dripper and new uvb comes tomorrow!!!!!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Gotta have something to fight for even of its a little chameleon :)

Also my rock dripper and new uvb comes tomorrow!!!!!

So is there drainage on this system from all the condensation and heavy humidity? Or is evaporation enough to keep the bottom dry?

So is there drainage on this system from all the condensation and heavy humidity? Or is evaporation enough to keep the bottom dry?

It evaporates pretty easy,there's also a large planter plate the plant sits on so it's not wet in the bottom of the cage. I also run a fan throughout the day to simulate the breeze his habitat would have

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of my two favorite juvenile cresties. Not sure what they weigh right now..I need to do that again. I have high hopes that these two will be females.

This is Vanilla Bean. She's an almost full pinstripe with a ton of cream on her :wub:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.18.

and this is Scarlet. She's turning out to be a surprise red and cream crestie.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.19.

Grabbed these two photos last night when I was feeding them :).

• Like 7

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of my two favorite juvenile cresties. Not sure what they weigh right now..I need to do that again. I have high hopes that these two will be females.This is Vanilla Bean. She's an almost full pinstripe with a ton of cream on her :wub:Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.18.and this is Scarlet. She's turning out to be a surprise red and cream crestie.Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.19.Grabbed these two photos last night when I was feeding them :).

Awwww they are so pretty, nice looking heads on em too!

Think I'm gonna out another order in at LLL reptile this week for a magnetic feeding rock,some dubias and a few miscellaneous items. I got my magnetic rock water dripper today though and my 5.0 26w exoterra uvb

You're now known as the crested princess in my book :)

• Like 2

Awwww they are so pretty, nice looking heads on em too!

Think I'm gonna out another order in at LLL reptile this week for a magnetic feeding rock,some dubias and a few miscellaneous items. I got my magnetic rock water dripper today though and my 5.0 26w exoterra uvb

You're now known as the crested princess in my book :)

Thanks :). I've never ordered from LLL Reptile! I'll have to check them out! I do a lot of business with Pangea since they specialize in the crested geckos. I need a few supplies too :).

Oh.....I LOVE my new title :happy:.

• Like 2

Thanks :). I've never ordered from LLL Reptile! I'll have to check them out! I do a lot of business with Pangea since they specialize in the crested geckos. I need a few supplies too :).Oh.....I LOVE my new title :happy:.

I like pangea the name is cool :)

LLL is really awesome and I have a crush on one of the girls that's constantly doing habitat setup demo videos :wub: lol but they have lots of good prices,13.99 for an exoterra uvb? Yes please

Oh well its totally well earned gena Err crested princess lol

• Like 2

It fascinates me that you can't really determine what an offspring crestie will look like just by looking at the parents. It's kinda the luck of the draw. Which I think is really cool. I think it will be interesting to pair different males and females and seeing what they produce.Haha...one of us would have to move though LOL.I bet breeding jacksons is WAY more difficult?

pretty cool the reason why that happens also, some of the expressed phenotypes are coming from incomplete dominant, and codominant genes, it gives extra variability in potential looks, but a huge amount of unpredictability compared to the dominant and recessive genes.

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of my two favorite juvenile cresties. Not sure what they weigh right now..I need to do that again. I have high hopes that these two will be females.This is Vanilla Bean. She's an almost full pinstripe with a ton of cream on her :wub:Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.18.and this is Scarlet. She's turning out to be a surprise red and cream crestie.Screen%20Shot%202015-08-04%20at%2012.19.Grabbed these two photos last night when I was feeding them :).

love those lizards, they look really healthy.
  • Like 2