--->HOB Fuge Question

2muchreef4u

2muchreef4u

hi all

i've always used the berlin method on my tanks (skimmer/ live rock) but never used a refugium system. i have a pretty stocked tank with sps & softies and want to try an hob fuge (AC 300 or 500). i've always had extremely good success with skimmers & contemplating going skimmerless with only a hob fuge. i don't want to have cyano or diatom problems if i switch, because i've only encountered that problem once and never came back when using a skimmer.

have any of you gone from skimmer to fuge? and what positives or negatives have you had? pics of your tanks are appreciated, thanks

I'd say that if you're having good luck running a skimmer, keep on. Why fix what isn't broken?

IMO, refugiums are over-rated. People have good success with them, sure, but people have good success without them too.

Xx is right IMO. i have never used a skimmer, only fuges and have had great success with them. but IMO they are tremendously overrated as anything but what they were originally intended for, a refuge for you to grow pods to feed your fish. as nutrient exporters i think they are overrated unless the fuge is large compared to the tank.

certainly any aquaclear fuge is to small to do nutrient export in any amount that makes a difference.

IMO.

nalbar

Archived