Coral Vue Hydros

3D printed frag plug designs

spinycheek

The Glueless Frag Plug!!! Thanks for the input guys, awesome idea! This is version 1.0, there are some small details I think could be better, so I'll fix those and print another one. I'm really beginning to wish I had my own printer so I didn't have to wait so long each time...But this one works surprisingly well, at least on dead coral :mellow: Holds it securely upside down, while being shaken, etc and can accommodate different sized coral. The little arms are flexible so it can move in and out to fit different diameter sticks. It won't quite fit the ultra thin birdsnest frags, so I'll fix that and it gets scary stretching it to fit the REALLY chunky acros. I'm also thinking version 2 would be able to grab plating coral frags too.

DSCN7467.jpg

DSCN7469.jpg

DSCN7463.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

• Like 6

Can you print some textured pieces with jagged edges that look more natural? Just curious

I was actually gonna play around with that, stay tuned!

I'd love one or two to try it out. Are they a bit pricy because you are getting them individually by a third party?

They cost me around $2-3 per object (in white) and about $7 in black. So a "3 object set" with the main disc, the post and the cage or stick-clip will cost about $6-10 ($20 in black) with usually about $5 in shipping added on. They are pricey because of the particular material I'm using, I would love to use ABS or something, but it doesn't quite perform right with the designs I'm making. But I genuinely have an interest in seeing how these perform, so I'd be willing to go halves-ies on some samples for those interested, with the caveat that I'd like feedback and/or pictures of corals growing on them.

I would love to see these out in the market, I think they're pretty cool, so a much cheaper (and better) injection molded version may be in the future if there is sufficient interest. That would make them normal frag plug price. Also, I'd put up specs ( open source) so anyone could make whatever attachments they'd want. Maybe Kickstarter is in my future.

The clamps a good idea but sps would just encrust on the clamp itself and not just the base plug. Not sure if the intent was to make it removable after it encrusted on the base.

• Like 1

The clamps a good idea but sps would just encrust on the clamp itself and not just the base plug. Not sure if the intent was to make it removable after it encrusted on the base.

Was just going to post the same thing.

You are correct, with this current version, if left on too long, the coral will encrust. You could leave the clamp on, it won't interfere with clipping on to eggcrate or attaching other posts. Another option would be to let it do the holding while you still use glue, then remove it before the coral starts growing on it. I may play with some different contact points, maybe minimal physical contact (like little spikes) will resolve that.

However, my ultimate goal is a dual material clamp that uses silicone where the actual coral touches, as silicone, at least temporarily, resists marine growth. So once it's started growing on the disc, you could slide off the holder and reuse it. This one will obviously take some more work and research, but if it works, it could be a nifty little contraption.

If you could make it dissolve.... But idk how far stretched that is. Lol

Also as for holding it while gluing, i dont see it being that much more helpful since super glue usually hardens to a point it will hold pretty quick in water.

Think this is a great idea, not trying to shut you down, just trying to think it through and see what would work.

Silicone sounds good.

If you could make it dissolve.... But idk how far stretched that is. Lol

Also as for holding it while gluing, i dont see it being that much more helpful since super glue usually hardens to a point it will hold pretty quick in water.

Think this is a great idea, not trying to shut you down, just trying to think it through and see what would work.

Silicone sounds good.

Any thoughts are appreciated, I'm not easily offended :D Please keep em coming!

A version that dissolves is an interesting idea, like medical implants. Something to think on. Right now the only stuff I'm familiar with that's plastic would either dissolve within minutes or within years, but nothing inbetween...

Maybe I can make a very low profile one that just gets sacrificed as the coral engulfs it.

I was going to raise it a bit for the next one, albeit for a different reason. It would probably still encrust from both the side and bottom though, although I can't say which would encrust first, I'm not versed enough in stick fragging to know.

I was going to raise it a bit for the next one, albeit for a different reason. It would probably still encrust from both the side and bottom though, although I can't say which would encrust first, I'm not versed enough in stick fragging to know.

I'd experiment for you. I have a fast growing Stylophora and would definitely like to try this method

wow that is really interesting. have you test it out on live corals if so did it cover the clips or not? i would invest some money into small 3d printers and start ur productions there for the reefer that is actually interested rather than thru kickstarter.

wow that is really interesting. have you test it out on live corals if so did it cover the clips or not? i would invest some money into small 3d printers and start ur productions there for the reefer that is actually interested rather than thru kickstarter.

I have been traveling too much to maintain a reef tank right now, so I have not been able to test them on live coral. So I'm letting others try them out to let me know how they work.

I thought of getting my own 3D printer, but there are limitations in the plastics available, mainly that they are much more prone to snapping if they get man-handled. The SLS nylon has been really forgiving, but it floats. I think these will work best using a PVC material, but I actually plan on releasing a version of this optimized for home 3D printers which would be free to download.

• Like 1

I think it would be cool if you can make one designed to help hold it straight while you glue. I hate touching sps while gluing. Its the most nerve-wracking part and then I wobble too much and have to start over. Very frustrating. It would nice if these could stand the coral on its own while waiting for the initial stick. Then it wouldn't be so cost prohibitive to buy since its a tool rather than a one time use item.

• Like 1

I think it would be cool if you can make one designed to help hold it straight while you glue. I hate touching sps while gluing. Its the most nerve-wracking part and then I wobble too much and have to start over. Very frustrating. It would nice if these could stand the coral on its own while waiting for the initial stick. Then it wouldn't be so cost prohibitive to buy since its a tool rather than a one time use item.

This!!! I was having issues today with a birdsnest frag that kept wanting to fall over since it was such a skinny frag.

This current one already does that, actually worked better than I expected. Clip the holder on to the disc, then clip the coral onto the holder. You can dribble glue around the bottom, the concave design is meant to pool the glue in the center, and the discs sit perfectly flat on a table. Very minimal coral handling needed.

• Like 1