Coral Vue Hydros

3D printed frag plug designs

spinycheek

Wow those are gorgeous! What a great solution. Will you be mass producing them soon?

Thank you! If there is interest, I'd be happy to start producing them in quantity.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

These are cool. I like them, especially not having to break off the stick!

Coralline coloured plugs need to be made. I hate how plusg stand out and I don't enjoy removing the corals off plugs.

These are cool. I like them, especially not having to break off the stick!

Coralline coloured plugs need to be made. I hate how plusg stand out and I don't enjoy removing the corals off plugs.

Thanks! I have been playing with purple color, but so far the results have been really washed out or very fake looking.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant innovation, I love seeing these evolve! I imagine you have a few different sizes for different branches?

At the moment, they're just the one size. My goal is to get one that fits a wide variety, so I'll be playing with some different designs.

This one works with the regular sized sticks and plating corals (wedges in-between the fingers).

• Like 1

I made a video of my latest coral clip. It's by far the fastest, easiest fragging I've ever done. Instant, fool-proof attachment.

Id like to get a few of these for my digitata frags. How much are they running?

Id like to get a few of these for my digitata frags. How much are they running?

Still just one-off prototypes for now. The clips are just an add-on to the regular discs, so they won't be expensive.

Now available:

FREE download for 3D printable Coralok Disc. Adjusted for optimum printability on FDM printers.

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

*Non-commercial use only and must register with site to access downloads.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magnetic base with a ball joint.

I found this one really helpful for acclimating new frags. I can slide it up and down the glass/acrylic depending on its light needs, then position the frag for ideal flow. Then when the coral has settled in, I can unscrew the magnetic base and swap it for a rock anchor to go it the live rock.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Very clever!

The ways you continue to innovate and build on the product line is incredible. I still love the ceramic frag plugs, the coralline ones have nice character too.

How have the frag clips been working out with the various SPS test frags?

Very clever!

The ways you continue to innovate and build on the product line is incredible. I still love the ceramic frag plugs, the coralline ones have nice character too.

How have the frag clips been working out with the various SPS test frags?

The original ones are still holding tight. I have made a new version that I want to try out that fixes some issues. The originals were more a proof of concept, but they are horribly designed for injection molding or printing myself. So I'm waiting for the mail delivery of the new ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Two months in. Coral is slowly expanding at the base, but this montipora tends to grow up, rather than out. Even my colony is pencil thin at the base.

IMG_3982.jpg

Also tried the same contraption with a mushroom coral. It's pretty unhappy since it was rolling around the tank for a week before I impaled it. But still hanging on today and slowly looking better.

IMG_3970.jpg

Another little frag being tested out.

IMG_3973.jpg

• Like 3

That magnetic ball joint is awesome!

Thanks! Free to download the file for it at Mauisreef.com

This is a ceramic mount after about a week in the tank. I attached it with PCL which is what the white stuff is, I used a bit too much, but there's no undoing it now! Once the native algae grew on it, it's pretty much an exact match for the live rock.

IMG_3990.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! Free to download the file for it at Mauisreef.com

This is a ceramic mount after about a week in the tank. I attached it with PCL which is what the white stuff is, I used a bit too much, but there's no undoing it now! Once the native algae grew on it, it's pretty much an exact match for the live rock.

IMG_3990.jpg

Wish I had the means to produce it. I really hope you're able to start distributing all of these soon. The concept is great.

I was thinking of offering everything on a made-to-order basis since there aren't a whole lot of people with 3D printers. The ceramic mounts will be up for sale in the next 2 weeks, just waiting for packaging to arrive.

• Like 2

I was thinking of offering everything on a made-to-order basis since there aren't a whole lot of people with 3D printers. The ceramic mounts will be up for sale in the next 2 weeks, just waiting for packaging to arrive.

I think you might be surprised how many orders you got especially after people are able to start using them.