Innovative Marine Aquariums

3D printed frag plug designs

spinycheek

Maui's Reef

Visited the factory today to check out my molds. They're beautiful!!! :lol:

This is the mold for the Coralok Disc with sample parts shown in front.

IMG_2786.jpg

These are the Graphite electrodes for making the Rock Anchor mold which should be done this week.

IMG_2787.jpg

• Like 2
Maui's Reef

Here are the latest 3D prints of the natural plugs. In theory, I would probably expand this to have 4-6 different shapes.

Advantages:

1) small and discreet

2) Concave underside to allow it to conform/wrap around live rock

3) Has the same threaded port on the bottom to allow any of the Coralok interchangeable posts

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
Maui's Reef

Finally got around to taking some nice product photos! I am temporarily selling some sample packs for only $9.99 and if you use the coupon code SUMMER20 to celebrate the first day of summer, you'll get an additional 20% off.

DSCN1999%20e.jpg

DSCN1975%20e.jpg

DSCN1896%20e.jpg

• Like 5
rickztahone

Great photography. Love the B&W. Gives it a good timeless feel. Way to go. I do a lot of product photography and I am not sure I would have done any better.

Maui's Reef

These looks fantastic! I'm amazed how these are being made.

Almost done with adapter designs for your nano-rack, they should look really nice together.

Great photography. Love the B&W. Gives it a good timeless feel. Way to go. I do a lot of product photography and I am not sure I would have done any better.

Thank you. We are just learning about product photography, so the compliments are very much appreciated!

• Like 1
Oceanbox Designs

Almost done with adapter designs for your nano-rack, they should look really nice together.

Thank you. We are just learning about product photography, so the compliments are very much appreciated!

I have no doubt your design will rock our racks B). I can't wait to see what you came up with.

• Like 1
Maui's Reef

Latest designs for hole-style frag racks. I tried some various concepts and these worked the best. These are specifically designed for OceanBox Designs frag racks, so they fit those best, but they work on egg crate just like the Rock Anchors.

Big Anchor:

This is about 50% larger than the regular Rock Anchor, but the top wedges into a half-inch hole.

Big%20Anchor%202.0%20.png

Big Anchor on the left, Original Rock Anchor on the right.

Rock%20anchor%20compare%202.png

The abstract Twist! This is designed to require a slight twist to get them into the hole and they resist being pulled out until they're twisted the other way. Not a tight fit, but a mid-resistance type of post. The slit is for egg crate and is very secure on that just like the others.

Disc%20and%20twist%201.png

Disc%20and%20twist%202.png

• Like 5
Maui's Reef

I put up some downloadable STL files on my website. I'm interested in some thoughts about that service. Buy the Discs, then print what you need (if you have access to 3D printer). This could fill the gap between concept and mass production and allow more customization.

• Like 1
Oceanbox Designs

Nice work!! The new anchor design is gorgeous and I'd love to see how it looks/fit on the mini frag rack. Is there anyway you can make these in beige color? I believe it will blend into most of the natural reef rock color well.

Maui's Reef

Thank you! Beige is certainly possible, I am looking at various camouflage colors, so I can look into that as well. Of course, if 3D printing them, they can be whatever color you want, just have to buy filament.

• 3 weeks later...
Maui's Reef

Floaty thing is very cool. How much will a plug with floater cost in bulk?

Good question. I will put the file up for free to 3D print it, but for manufacturing, this is new territory being hollow and such, so I really don't know.

Could 3D print small, custom orders for shipping delicate or valuable corals.

• 4 weeks later...
Maui's Reef

Round three on the Stick Clip. Moved to a living hinge type clamp. It expands much wider to accommodate larger pieces and is much easier to gently clamp around the coral. Should also provide a bit more stability. Needs some minor tweaks to improve fit, but this is my favorite so far.

DSCN2665.jpg

DSCN2664.jpg

DSCN2667.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shape ways is getting faster with their printing! Ordered a revised stick clip and it's already been shipped! Hopefully these will be sellable in the next few weeks.

Adding some new stuff to the website too to make it more gooder.