Top Shelf Aquatics

Brackish water CUC?

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Hey John,

For my 300g cichlids tank that is brackish (leaning towards freshwater with a salinity of about 1.01), would any of your CUC critters thrive? I'm having an algae issue and don't have any CUC :(

Also, if you do not have the species in stock, what species do you reccomend for this use?

jedimasterben

IMHO, none of the species john sells would do truly well in that salinity. The lowest salinity I've found them in here is about 22-24ppt, and you're in the 13ppt range.

HarryPotter

IMHO, none of the species john sells would do truly well in that salinity. The lowest salinity I've found them in here is about 22-24ppt, and you're in the 13ppt range.

You've done freshwater though, right ? Any snails in the planted tank?

jedimasterben

You've done freshwater though, right ? Any snails in the planted tank?

None that will survive in brackish.

Well, malaysian trumpet snails may. You can give them a shot.

HarryPotter

None that will survive in brackish.

Well, malaysian trumpet snails may. You can give them a shot.

My other two cichlids tanks are at freshwater. I can slowly dilute it to freshwater I guess?!

jedimasterben

My other two cichlids tanks are at freshwater. I can slowly dilute it to freshwater I guess?!

It depends on why you have the big tank as brackish.

HarryPotter

It depends on why you have the big tank as brackish.

Because I heard cichlids do better with salt! Color wise?

jedimasterben

Because I heard cichlids do better with salt! Color wise?

You heard that and researched why it happens or just did it? :)

HarryPotter

You heard that and researched why it happens or just did it? :)

Did some research, about the twin lakes etc. boosts immune system, coloration, etc

jedimasterben

Did some research, about the twin lakes etc. boosts immune system, coloration, etc

If that's the case then you need to decide which you want. Honestly, looking at the photos you posted of the tank, it doesn't look like somebody dumped a bunch of turds in it like you describe :lol:

johnmaloney

Hey John,

For my 300g cichlids tank that is brackish (leaning towards freshwater with a salinity of about 1.01), would any of your CUC critters thrive? I'm having an algae issue and don't have any CUC :(

Also, if you do not have the species in stock, what species do you reccomend for this use?

No sorry I do not have anything that would work in that tank. Olive nerites would be OK in that salinity I think.

I took a handful of nassarius snails out of the creek and threw them in my completely freshwater pond. They laid eggs and there is now a lot more than a handful.

jedimasterben

I took a handful of nassarius snails out of the creek and threw them in my completely freshwater pond. They laid eggs and there is now a lot more than a handful.

You sure you're seeing nassarius? They have a pelagic larval stage, so they require saltwater to breed.

You sure you're seeing nassarius? They have a pelagic larval stage, so they require saltwater to breed.

close enough for me. It's got to be some sort of whelk.

Archived