Cultivated Reef

dferrari13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put the stock Innovative Marine skkye light onto my 5.5 pico reef

20160124_153358_zpsgosroxgg.jpg

This light can really only grow softies...not that great...but it's doing the trick for my pico reef

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Nope...kessil a160we

Side view

20160225_171714_zpsrpyrba5d.jpg

How do you like your Kessil? I have the same light and tank you do and love them both! Nice tank BTW.

So I have moved some things around...so here's yet another FTS.

20160204_202128-1_zpsh3zpd8jl.jpg

I also added an open brain and a montipora

Looks great!

• Like 1

So far I love the kessil....I have it 12 inches above the water line as recommended...but I'm still fine tuning the schedule on my controller....I've Google it but not much out there on what light schedule is best....mostly everything has been doing good accept for a little bleaching on my montipora and not so great growth on the bottom of the tank

• Like 1

I think I may be running my kessil too high

My schedule is a 12 hour total dark... 12 hour ramp up light period...so it ramps up from 5% to 90% then back down to 0% over the course of a 12 hour period....and so far I've had some success with most corals...let me know what you think

Those percentages are referring to intensity...the color spectrum (10k/atinic) is set to a gradual ramp up and then back down

20160226_1449560_zpszpn4ftti.jpg

Recently changed my lighting schedule and created a new discussion thread to get everyone's opinion..link below

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/371040-kessil-a160we-lighting-schedule-discussion/?p=5274048

Also just ordered a much "clearer" top from smiz...hopefully it ships out soon..his link below

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364554-custom-acrylic-tops-new-im-10-pricing-nice-and-cheap/page-13#entry5270595

• Like 1
reefernanoman

I think I may be running my kessil too high

My schedule is a 12 hour total dark... 12 hour ramp up light period...so it ramps up from 5% to 90% then back down to 0% over the course of a 12 hour period....and so far I've had some success with most corals...let me know what you think

Those percentages are referring to intensity...the color spectrum (10k/atinic) is set to a gradual ramp up and then back down

90% intensity? I can't go beyond about 25% without some bleaching of my SPS. My light stays on for only about 8 hours too.

• Like 1

I think dferrari13's light sits a little higher off the tank?

I'm running my nanobox at 85% for around 3hrs each day, so the Kessil at 90% sounds about right.

Reefernanoman...how high off the water surface is your kessil??

I recently lowered the intensity to 70...just in case and might go lower....but I have gradually intensified the intensity over the course of a full year up to 90.......so i thought I'd be ok but maybe its just too high...so i decided to go lower with the intensity recently

Added a carpet anemone

20160302_214725_zpscqjcart8.jpg

20160302_214601_zpsd2pvnask.jpg

Also added a Crocea clam...I've tried to house two others that were under 2 inches with bad results....this time I went with a much bigger clam

20160301_222222_zpsacxisxfn.jpg

90% intensity? I can't go beyond about 25% without some bleaching of my SPS. My light stays on for only about 8 hours too.

So what is your light schedule and with what light and how high over the tank?

reefernanoman

Reefernanoman...how high off the water surface is your kessil??

I recently lowered the intensity to 70...just in case and might go lower....but I have gradually intensified the intensity over the course of a full year up to 90.......so i thought I'd be ok but maybe its just too high...so i decided to go lower with the intensity recently

Not too far, about 3.5 from the mesh screen top. That's to avoid spillage.

So what is your light schedule and with what light and how high over the tank?

8 hours a day. Kessil A160we and about 3.5 inches from the mesh screen top

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting the growth I necessarily want with my corals ...my nitrates are a little high but I don't think that's the culprit ...also it seems that my kessil settings were a little higher than everyone else's with this tank so I have lowered it to a max of 60% intensity.... the other thing I thought is that maybe I have too high of flow rate ...I am running a powerhead which is running at about 200 gallons per hour and I upgraded my stock pump so it puts out about 200 gallons per hour and my ghost skimmer puts out about hundred gallons per hour I think... so in total that's 500 gallons per hour in a 10 gallon tank is that too much? Can you have too much?

• Like 1

Wow...3.5 inches away?....I thought kessil tells you to place the light 12 inches from the surface of the water

I think my tide sits maybe 5 inches from the surface. A lot of light is reflected from the surface of water, the closer you are, the better your penetration.

• dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank