inTank Media Baskets

dferrari13

45 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Tank is looking really nice man! Definitely one of the best IM 10’s out there! Certainly a tank to look up to!!

Thanks I appreciate that... (I still feel like a newb compared to some lol)

20180414_184106_zpslab2p2rs.jpg

• Like 1

Do you not find "Too much flow" with the spin stream AND the Koralia?  I just have the spin stream (and mine is the 14g version) and there seems to be plenty of flow everywhere.... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jeremyan7 said:

Do you not find "Too much flow" with the spin stream AND the Koralia?  I just have the spin stream (and mine is the 14g version) and there seems to be plenty of flow everywhere.... 

To be honest with all the research I have done I find that there is no such thing as too much flow and the more you have the better chance you will not have detritus build up.... obviously some corals don't like extreme direct flow.... but the key with flow is to keep it as random as possible that's why I use the wave maker with my powerhead and my spin stream with my filter pump. I think I calculated the entire flow in my tank and it's about 700 gallons per hour.... which is 70%... and a lot of people have more flow than me anyone who has an mp10 powerhead has the ability to have a lot more flow.

48 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

To be honest with all the research I have done I find that there is no such thing as too much flow and the more you have the better chance you will not have detritus build up.... obviously some corals don't like extreme direct flow.... but the key with flow is to keep it as random as possible that's why I use the wave maker with my powerhead and my spin stream with my filter pump. I think I calculated the entire flow in my tank and it's about 700 gallons per hour.... which is 70%... and a lot of people have more flow than me anyone who has an mp10 powerhead has the ability to have a lot more flow.

I agree. I have the Spinstream with an upgraded pump and the Hydor KPS and calculate that I'm pushing about as much water as you are. If I didn't think adding more flow would piss off the clam, I would add more. Since I added the wave maker everything has seem happier! May still look at upgrading the return pump. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

DUDDDEEEE.....The wait is real for me LOL. Very nice pictures!! Your tank is looking great. I'm so ready to get some coral into my tank. I'm on day 20 of my cycle as of today. My tank is able to regulate 1ppm of ammonia in 24 hours but i'm still going to give it another 10 days. 

• Like 1
dferrari13
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

DUDDDEEEE.....The wait is real for me LOL. Very nice pictures!! Your tank is looking great. I'm so ready to get some coral into my tank. I'm on day 20 of my cycle as of today. My tank is able to regulate 1ppm of ammonia in 24 hours but i'm still going to give it another 10 days. 

Learn from my mistakes...take it slow!! I've lost a bunch of corals in the beginning due to impatience....try to resist the urge to fill the tank right away.

• Like 2

I just realized that me and you were both using the same light! I've looked at your Journal several times and for some reason I always thought you had changed to a Nanobox. I guess I got too caught up in the nice pictures to even realize. I'm not even sure now what made me think that. I have looked around quite a bit but couldn't really find any solid good pictures that proved what corals looked like in a Nuvo 10 under one A160 and associated lighting heights above the Nuvo 10.  Yours has been sitting here all along and I'm very impressed at how the A160 makes the corals pop. I'm still wondering about how i'm going to approach ramp ups and ramp downs and a lighting schedule in general. What is yours like? 

• Like 1

I will heed your warning. My plan is on the 30th to go ahead and order 4 Acan frags. The ones i'm eyeballing have about two the three heads each. 

• Like 1
dferrari13
4 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I just realized that me and you were both using the same light! I've looked at your Journal several times and for some reason I always thought you had changed to a Nanobox. I guess I got too caught up in the nice pictures to even realize. I'm not even sure now what made me think that. I have looked around quite a bit but couldn't really find any solid good pictures that proved what corals looked like in a Nuvo 10 under one A160 and associated lighting heights above the Nuvo 10.  Yours has been sitting here all along and I'm very impressed at how the A160 makes the corals pop. I'm still wondering about how i'm going to approach ramp ups and ramp downs and a lighting schedule in general. What is yours like? 

I'm an electrician, and I feel that the Kessil is top of the line...period.....no offense to the nano box or the AI prime....those are both great lights....i just feel that the Kessil is just better.

• Like 2
dferrari13

My lighting schedule: 

14:00 5% color 5% intensity

15:45 30% color 25% intensity

16:00 30% color 50% intensity

18:00 30% color 50% intensity

21:00 30% color 25% intensity

23:59 0% color 0% intensity 

I use a ten hour light cycle...but it's very low light in the first and last hour.

• Thanks 1

Awesome looking tank! Just caught up on your thread from february and your corals are thriving. Colors are looking great and you've got a nice set up. I have the kessil A80 over my tank...think I may change my lighting schedule to match yours a little more. I think my color may be too high..need more blue light. Really like that lid you had made as well!

• Like 1
dferrari13
1 hour ago, MrJDanP said:

Awesome looking tank! Just caught up on your thread from february and your corals are thriving. Colors are looking great and you've got a nice set up. I have the kessil A80 over my tank...think I may change my lighting schedule to match yours a little more. I think my color may be too high..need more blue light. Really like that lid you had made as well!

Thanks....the top was from octo aquatics....great lids....very heavy duty and well made...i highly recommend them...

20180206_154354_zpse4g75yfs.jpg

dferrari13

20180520_130649_zpskz2jo65l.jpg

I highly recommend dosing this with your auto top off.....works wonders to maintain PH, alkalinity, Mg, and Ca.

20180520_130545_zpsxnahcwe2.jpg

Great source of amino acids for the corals (remember to turn off protein skimmer)

• Like 2
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank