Pod Your Reef

dferrari13

dferrari13

But so far with my tank...i do a 20 percent water change every 2 to 3 weeks....even if my nitrates arent high...just to replenish any trace elements.....it proly costs me about 8 buck a month on waterchanges plus the distilled water i buy from rite aid for the ATO

Christopher Marks
36 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

How are people posting videos on nano reef? Maybe @Christopher Marks can answer.

You can easily share videos that you have uploaded to Youtube, Vimeo, or Instagram, it's as simple as pasting the 'share link' or URL for the video right here in the editor, and then it will automagically embed itself into your post.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Laurenscube said:

Looking really bushy 😊 how are you controlling your phosphates ? 

I use phosguard, chemi pure blue nano and purigen in my media basket. The blue nano contains GFO which removes phosphates and obviously the phosguard is specifically designed to remove phosphates.

Tank update: Everything is doing very well after being really pissed off with me for moving shit around.....all corals are extending nicely. Sorry for the dirty glass in the pics.

20180720_191105_zpswbfsmf8p.jpg

20180720_191117_zpsfahoopu0.jpg

20180720_191133_zpsjq96svxh.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, dferrari13 said:

I use phosguard, chemi pure blue nano and purigen in my media basket. The blue nano contains GFO which removes phosphates and obviously the phosguard is specifically designed to remove phosphates.

Actually...i just read that chemi pure blue nano does not contain GFO but it has additional additives which do the same thing as GFO, which is remove phosphates. Had to make that correction.

• Like 1

I recently increase my kessil a160 to a 55% intensity....gunna wait a while and see how the corals respond. I wonder how high people are running this light with this depth of water.

Another important reefer tip i was just thinking about today.... Dont ever rely on one item in this hobby....alway have redundancy. I have two heaters installed and running at all times..... I have three different ways to read the temperature in the tank..... I always have a backup powerhead and backup return pump..... I also have a backup ATO pump

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I recently increase my kessil a160 to a 55% intensity....gunna wait a while and see how the corals respond. I wonder how high people are running this light with this depth of water.

I'm maxing out at 35 percent currently. Everything seems to be loving it. Even the SPS.

20 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I'm maxing out at 35 percent currently. Everything seems to be loving it. Even the SPS.

I think someone once told me that they couldnt get above 55% without frying their coral....so im going super slow

Yeah same here. I'm seeing the start of encrusting from 4 of the 7 sticks that I added. So for now.......I'm staying at 35%. It is quite possible that the person who couldn't go above 55% had too low of nutrients to run that high. I'm not sure.......But that could be a possibility. Because I read that super low nutrients and getting blasted with powerful LED is a recipe for bleaching. 

• Like 1

So far so good @Christopher Marks I havent really noticed a difference for good or bad yet...but im trying to give my new sticks some more light intensity. Well see...i may raise it another 5% in about a month

Finally got rid of the teal palys that were overtaking my blastos....they were still contained on a frag plug so  decided to get rid of them before they started to overtake the entire lower rock....i glued my best ricordea in its place...well see how it looks when the light come on today. Pics to come.

LogicalReefs

I’m at 75% intensity on my Kessil a160we. Have zoas, yumas and acans. They love it. It’s a 40w light so I’m giving 30w of power at my peak hold times if the math can be done like that to figure out how much wattage your using based of percentage of intensity. 

• Like 1
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank