Coral Vue Hydros

dferrari13

So Reefapalooza was pretty cool yesterday...i managed not to spend too much money....i only spent 40 bucks on a Jason fox rainbow stylo...pics to come

• Like 3

Can't wait to see the pic's. I just did a water change along with siphoning back chambers out and cleaning skimmer. Mine are pissed right now as well. One Acan was worrying me but it seems to be slowly looking normal again LOL. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

What was your favorite part of Reef-a-Palooza?

I would say.... the diversity of corals available in one spot was just crazy...i was mesmerised....my wife not so much....she gets bored when I get too nerdy lol

• Haha 2
dferrari13

So a bad heat wave has been hanging over nj for the past couple of days....so I've been using fans and frozen water bottles to keep the temp of my tank down.....so far it hasn't gotten above 81.....and it only hit 81 for a short period of time. So far everything looks pissed but ok for now.....in other news, about 5 days ago (before this heatwave) my fiji leather died...i think the candy cane killed it but not sure...

• Like 1
Shaggy2061
On 7/26/2015 at 11:58 AM, dferrari13 said:

I also have a 37 gallon freshwater planted tank....just in case anyone is interested in checking it out.

20160117_182514_zps0yqavka8.jpg

Wow looking way better than mine LOL

• Thanks 1
dferrari13

It's been in the mid to upper 90s in NJ for 6 days in a row and my A.C. apparently sucks and it seems to be on its way out... it's not cooling my house like it should, so its anywhere from 75 to 83 inside....fml 

Now, as I figure out a way to pay for a replacement AC, I've just been trying to keep my tanks cool with frozen bottles of water and fans....and so far it has worked but what a pain in the ass lol looks like the temp should come down by friday finally, but only into the mid 80s

• Like 1
Laurenscube

Hows the Sps going ? Any tips for flow for them ? I have been following your tank and seem to have the same problem with sps. Seems to be the only corals which dont seem to thrive but see your montis have been with you for awhile now😀

Also when you keep moving your corals how do you get them off your rock scape? Are you using bone cutters ?

• Like 1
dferrari13

10 hours ago, laurenscube said:

Hows the Sps going ? Any tips for flow for them ? I have been following your tank and seem to have the same problem with sps. Seems to be the only corals which dont seem to thrive but see your montis have been with you for awhile now😀

Also when you keep moving your corals how do you get them off your rock scape? Are you using bone cutters ?

It's weird some of them thrive but others just seem to take forever....ive been getting alot more growth since dosing kalk in my ATO...and to answer your question, i usually just glued them there in the first place so i use a sharp tool to pry them back off.

dferrari13

Temp finally came down and I did a pretty decent water change tonight....its been a while so i figured i would...just to replenish trace elements and such.....nitrates werent even high...things are looking like they are a bit more happy and the new AC unit comes monday...so thats good news lol........pics to come

• Like 2
dferrari13

LFS is moving and they had 10 frag sale, so i picked up a green stylo, frogspawn, neon green cyphastrea, nameless aussie acro, and a random zoa. Pretty good haul for 10 each. Pics to come.

• Like 2
dferrari13

So things are looking way better now that the temp dropped and everything is settling in to their new locations.

20180707_2237550_zpsncvqcslq.jpg

• Like 1
dferrari13

My calcium is at 420 which im happy with but actually now that you mention it....i just tested twice today and my alk is high...at around 12...i like to hover around 9 or 10dkh...but ive heard of people running sps tanks at high levels like 12..... I think I attribute this spike to very high temperatures causing my ATO to work more often because of evaporation causing more kalkwasser to be added to the tank than usual

dferrari13

Even though my alk is high....I will probably continue to add my normal 1 teaspoon of "kalk 2" per gallon of distilled water.... cause now since the temps in jersey have been cooler lately....my ATO wont dose as much "kalk 2"....which will cause the alkalinity to slowly lower......dont wanna do anything too fast in this hobby......oh and also im getting an awesome AC unit on monday, so no more worring about the outside temp effecting my tank.

Laurenscube
9 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

Even though my alk is high....I will probably continue to add my normal 1 teaspoon of "kalk 2" per gallon of distilled water.... cause now since the temps in jersey have been cooler lately....my ATO wont dose as much "kalk 2"....which will cause the alkalinity to slowly lower......dont wanna do anything too fast in this hobby......oh and also im getting an awesome AC unit on monday, so no more worring about the outside temp effecting my tank.

Good idea with the kalk

Been having problems with the heat wave too been doing the frozen water bottles and fan....very stressful but managing to control it. 

What salt mix do you use ?

Excellent news on the AC 

dferrari13
8 minutes ago, Laurenscube said:

Good idea with the kalk

Been having problems with the heat wave too been doing the frozen water bottles and fan....very stressful but managing to control it. 

What salt mix do you use ?

Excellent news on the AC 

Im super lazy lol so i use premixed (expensive) Caribsea Sea-pure Sea Water 4.4 Gal containers....i just dont wanna screw around with mixing up saltwater all the time

• dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank