SaltCritters.com

dferrari13

dferrari13

The tank is doing great... from the beginning my goal was to have an ultra low maintenance tank ... mainly because I'm lazy 😅..... but now after 3 years I think I have finally achieved it.... I basically only do about a half hour of maintenance on this tank per month.....I haven't done a water change in about 3 weeks and that's with moderate everyday feeding..... and my nitrates and phosphates are still pretty low. I may add a small media reactor...and upgrade my skimmer to an eshopps inorder to make water changes even further apart. I also have decided to make the switch to the mp10....ive been back and forth between the mp10 and the kps...but the VorTech has won that battle. Upgrades to come.

• Like 5
Christopher Marks
On 5/27/2018 at 4:56 AM, dferrari13 said:

The tank is doing great... from the beginning my goal was to have an ultra low maintenance tank ... mainly because I'm lazy 😅..... but now after 3 years I think I have finally achieved it.... I basically only do about a half hour of maintenance on this tank per month...

Three years is an awesome milestone @dferrari13, you should be very proud! It's absolutely incredible how stable these little reefs can become once they settle in.

Looking forward to the next updates, keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Congratulations! The tank looks great after the rearranging, and it's awesome to know it takes so little maintenance now. I think you will like the MP10, too. 

• Like 3
dferrari13
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Congratulations! The tank looks great after the rearranging, and it's awesome to know it takes so little maintenance now. I think you will like the MP10, too. 

Thanks teeny!

• Like 1
dferrari13

So cultivated reef had a sale and I bit the bullet and ordered my first acropora! Also they had a "ora birds of paradise" for 5 bucks....couldnt pass it up.

I really want to take out the Duncan and add a small sps rock up top....im really looking to add some purples and blues to the tank..so we'll see

20180609_083812_zpsdrikisji.png

20180609_083745_zpsqlua8kck.png

• Like 5

I recently started a IM 10. This is basically my goal, super low maintenance lol. How did you you use your koralia for? I'm debating between a koralia or a jebao.

• Like 1
dferrari13
15 minutes ago, Joseph93 said:

I recently started a IM 10. This is basically my goal, super low maintenance lol. How did you you use your koralia for? I'm debating between a koralia or a jebao.

I used to have the koralia 240 for about a year and a half but it wasn't strong enough....then I upgraded to the 425 and I've been happy with that for a while...but if I could do it all over again I'd get the mp10 right in the beginning.

Now I have two of the 240s in my 37 gallon freshwater planted tank and one 425 in my 10 gallon mixed reef.....and so far they work great. Every now and then I have to soak them in distilled vinegar...but they are Hardy little pumps...... I just feel in a little 10 gallon mix reef tank like mine the  mp10 would be better...because of its random flow patterns and programming...the hydors are just not smart pumps

• Like 1
On 6/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, teenyreef said:

Nice choices! That's a fantastic deal on the BoP, and I love blue slimers. I had one but it didn't make it.

What do you think caused it to die....any tips on acros

• Like 1

I plan on adding a softball sized "Life Rock" on the top left of the tank for a SPS garden....(ill be relocating the duncan)

2 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

What do you think caused it to die....any tips on acros

No, it was just during the earlyish period for my tank (the first year, roughly) while it was still getting mature. The acros all had some ups and downs and the blue slimer died during one of the down periods for no apparent reason. Which of course is the frustrating thing about acros, half the time there is no obvious reason why they die.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

No, it was just during the earlyish period for my tank (the first year, roughly) while it was still getting mature. The acros all had some ups and downs and the blue slimer died during one of the down periods for no apparent reason. Which of course is the frustrating thing about acros, half the time there is no obvious reason why they die.

Well they get delivered on tuesday so wish me luck lol

• Like 1

So I found my sexy shrimp in the back chamber again.... this will be the 3rd time so I guess he wants to be back there???......has anyone else had this problem??

Okay so today is the day I am waiting for my delivery from FedEx with my order from cultivated Reef. Some things are going to change with this tank today first off I think I will be relocating or eliminating the Duncan and Kenya tree Coral at the top left of my tank... also I will be adding a small piece of Life Rock to the top left of the tank for an acropora Garden.... let's see how this goes.... pictures to come

• Like 2
On 6/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, dferrari13 said:

So I found my sexy shrimp in the back chamber again.... this will be the 3rd time so I guess he wants to be back there???......has anyone else had this problem??

That's weird. It never happened to me. 

• Thanks 1

So the order from cultivated Reef came in yesterday... Holly gave me one extra sunset montipora for being one day late (which was not a big deal at all, she didn't have to do that but that was very nice of her)... so far I have the new frags just sitting in a frag rack in my tank I haven't been able to find the time to go get a piece of Life Rock... pictures will come once the final product is in place.... but so far the birds-of-paradise looks great and the blue Slimer also looks very healthy

• Like 3
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank