inTank Media Baskets

dferrari13

21 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Im about four years into the hobby now but I still consider myself a newbie...so I was wondering if any of you reefers out there had a way to slow the overtaking of gsp coral (I stupidly placed it on my main rock years ago...what a dumbass ).... I was thinking about mixing up a batch of epoxy and putting a small worm-like tube all around the gsp.... once it starts growing onto the epoxy I will peel the epoxy off and cut the GSP skin to keep it at bay. That pretty much the only idea I had. Thought?

20180918_191147_zpsighyu3iz.jpg

👍

Clammy :wub:

The gsp is a real problem. I've never tried the epoxy idea but I would think it might work.

When mine got onto one of my rocks, I finally got rid of it by just taking the rock out of the tank and scraping all the gsp off the rock. After that it would come back in tiny patches. I rescraped the little patches every month or two until it finally was completely gone.

13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Clammy :wub:

The gsp is a real problem. I've never tried the epoxy idea but I would think it might work.

When mine got onto one of my rocks, I finally got rid of it by just taking the rock out of the tank and scraping all the gsp off the rock. After that it would come back in tiny patches. I rescraped the little patches every month or two until it finally was completely gone.

I really dont know why I didnt listen to people when they told me to stay away from gsp....oh well...guess I'll try my epoxy idea. I dont mind gsp, I actually really love the look of it, I just need to keep it at bay.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I really dont know why I didnt listen to people when they told me to stay away from gsp....oh well...guess I'll try my epoxy idea. I dont mind gsp, I actually really love the look of it, I just need to keep it at bay.

Same here. I love the movement and color when it gets long. Mine stays on it's very own personal rock in the back corner of my 40g tank.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

Day 11 and everything seems ok with the clam. Although people have claimed that clams dont decline until about the 30 day mark. 

I have a clam in my 13.5 gal and it's been doign good for 3 months crossing my fingers, and good luck as well 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, medinar83 said:

I have a clam in my 13.5 gal and it's been doign good for 3 months crossing my fingers, and good luck as well 

Looks like your clam is doing great ..how big is it now and how big was it when you added it to the tank?

It's been pretty much 2 weeks since I got the clam and things seem fine from what I can tell. But from what I have read about clams, they can look like they are doing fine and then died out of nowhere. So who knows but fingers crossed.

• Like 1

So ever since adding the new clam I have been meaning to raise my alkalinity calcium and magnesium levels..... so I have increased my kalkwasser dosing slightly from one teaspoon per gallon to one and a quarter teaspoon per gallon..... we shall see how much this slight increase raises my levels but I definitely don't want to go too fast

Ideally I would like to get my calcium at around 430, and my magnesium around 1440, and I'd like to raise my alkalinity to somewhere around 9....

There was a point about 6 months ago where I was maintaining these levels but I guess due to the addition of multiple SPS corals, my levels have slowly gone down.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, medinar83 said:

Not sure if it's grown in that short amount of time, but it's always fully open and happy, it's about 3 1/2 inches, I don't dose anything at the moment and full of corals to, might have to look into that. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, medinar83 said:

Not sure if it's grown in that short amount of time, but it's always fully open and happy, it's about 3 1/2 inches, I don't dose anything at the moment and full of corals to, might have to look into that. 

Nice...clams do much better after 3 inches

If you don't mind me asking, what type of lighting schedule are you on?  I have a Tide Mini light on my tank, so I know we are not running the same lighting system, but any advice will do.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, travoose said:

If you don't mind me asking, what type of lighting schedule are you on?  I have a Tide Mini light on my tank, so I know we are not running the same lighting system, but any advice will do.  

I dont mind at all, the Kessil a160we is incredible,  here's my settings.....

14:00 5% color 5% intensity 

15:00 30% color 25% intensity

16:00 45% color 55% intensity

18:00 45% color 55% intensity

21:00 35% color 25% intensity 

23:30 0% color 0% intensity

• Thanks 1

I've been doing some research to find out which tank will be my next tank. I got to say I really love the Red Sea MAX E-Series 260. Brs is selling it for 2400 but then you have to add an auto top off, 150 watt heater, probably two powerheads, Sand, rock and inhabitants so when all is said and done it will probably cost about 3,000 minimum. Needless to say I don't have 3 Grand that I can spend so I guess I will be saving up for quite a while. But it's fun to have goals lol

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Reeferadicto13 said:

Nice!

how is the clam doing?

As far as I can tell, its doing great. It's still reacting positively when I spot feed phytoplankton and it opens fully everyday. So hopefully everything is all good.

• Like 3

The blue mushroom got huge

20181004_185752_zpsc9yu4yau.jpg

Clam doing good..just spot fed phyto

20181004_185821_zpsfof6vjk5.jpg

Keds reds

20181004_185828_zps18njn6je.jpg

Toadstool fiji leather trying to regrow

20181004_185839_zpskopinm3u.jpg

Young translucent frogspawn

20181004_185853_zpscwvd2wwn.jpg

Birds of paradise