SaltCritters.com

dferrari13

46 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Uhhg, it looks like the trumpet is taking a beating!

Yea....hes not winning....I'm thinking about cutting off one or two heads off the hammer...not sure yet 

• Sad 1

So I took the week off of work for my birthday...kind of a staycation....and I wanted to try out the reef roids today, so I did a little research and decided to go with a method that Billy pipes came up with.....his mixture in the youtube video was for 100 gallon...so I mixed up the same amount and disguarded a little more than 75 percent of it,(I bought way too much of it anyway) leaving me with just a small amount of thick reef roid goo.....so far I saw good results, with most of my corals responding well to it. After the feeding I left all the pumps off for about 20 minutes, to let the corals digest. I will probably wait until tonight to do a 30% water change, just so the corals have some time to absorb any left over nutrients.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 2/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, dferrari13 said:

So I took the week off of work for my birthday...kind of a staycation....and I wanted to try out the reef roids today, so I did a little research and decided to go with a method that Billy pipes came up with.....his mixture in the youtube video was for 100 gallon...so I mixed up the same amount and disguarded a little more than 75 percent of it,(I bought way too much of it anyway) leaving me with just a small amount of thick reef roid goo.....so far I saw good results, with most of my corals responding well to it. After the feeding I left all the pumps off for about 20 minutes, to let the corals digest. I will probably wait until tonight to do a 30% water change, just so the corals have some time to absorb any left over nutrients.

Happy birthday! I'm seeing great results and quick growth with a similar food in my reef jar, Coral Frenzy, what's the recipe for the mixture you used? I keep trying to make a thicker mixture each time I feed, but I'm afraid of overdoing it. I've been feeding about 4-6 hours before a water change where I stir up the whole tank with a big pipette.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Happy birthday! I'm seeing great results and quick growth with a similar food in my reef jar, Coral Frenzy, what's the recipe for the mixture you used? I keep trying to make a thicker mixture each time I feed, but I'm afraid of overdoing it. I've been feeding about 4-6 hours before a water change where I stir up the whole tank with a big pipette.

I used 10ml of tank water mixed with 1 tsp. of reef roids..... that mixes up enough for a 100 gallon tank so like I said I just discarded 78% leaving me with a nice thick goo suitable for a 10 gallon tank.... and I felt like it mixed up just enough to feed each head a little bit....and I also didnt wanna over do it and cause other issues. I will probably keep the feeding to once per week before waterchanges and see how that goes for a while.

Most recent full tank shot

I think that I've finally given up on the montipora capricornis....its become an eye sore and it doesnt seem to be getting better. So I think I will be trying my luck with a bubblegum montipora digitata in its place....time will tell

20190225_205241_zpsuilclfnh.jpg

• Like 5

So I've decided to start dosing red sea 2 part reef energy again. Not really sure why I stopped using it...but anyways......In addition to that, I've been using reef roids for a couple weeks....things seem to be happier....well see if my SPS have better growth

20190302_152524_zpsykabvv7i.jpg

• Like 1

Freshwater planted 20 Gallon Long.

I think it's coming along very nicely, only a couple months old.....I'm cautiously optimistic that I've got this whole husbandry thing down lol

20190303_203122_zpspsct4lsx.jpg

• Like 3

So I was getting tired of seeing my candy cane coral taking a beating....so I decided to frag the hammer to cause some separation between the two....mission successful.

20190310_110749_zpskerwpc1v.jpg

• Like 2

FTS....  now that the corals are fully opened up, I'm so glad I made the decision to removed two heads from the hammer Coral.... it was really attacking my Candy Cane Coral

20190310_185753_zpsdlfjvopb.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

FTS....  now that the corals are fully opened up, I'm so glad I made the decision to removed two heads from the hammer Coral.... it was really attacking my Candy Cane Coral

20190310_185753_zpsdlfjvopb.jpg

Looks great! I’ll bet that candy cane is happy to have a little more of a safety zone. My candy canes have been taking a beating from my BTAs in my Nuvo... I may need to relocate them if the BTAs are going to stay put for a while.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

So I was getting tired of seeing my candy cane coral taking a beating....so I decided to frag the hammer to cause some separation between the two....mission successful.

20190310_110749_zpskerwpc1v.jpg

You ever in NYC? I'll take that frag off your hands. LOL

• Like 1

I have heard a lot of people complain about ATO systems failing and getting stuck in the on position... so a long time ago I decided I am going to put my ATO system on a digital timer and only allow it to stay on for 1 minute per day.... well this paid off because after four years of not cleaning the ATO sensor, the float got stuck in the down position causing the automatic top off system to remain on for 1 minute..... which definitely threw my water parameters off a little bit but surprisingly not that much.... I was able to take about half a gallon of water out, an add a half of a gallon of saltwater to balance it out ( basically my tank got slightly diluted with freshwater)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

It's really looking great @dferrari13, so filled in! Good call on fragging back the torch coral, it's hard to even notice there's less of it 🙂

Has the torch been the most dominant of all of them in coral warfare? Any other battles going on?

• Thanks 1
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 10 Gallon Softie Tank